IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Monsoon, please!

ahosey01

It’s official, this is central Arizona’s hottest-ever summer on record:

https://news.google.com/articles/CAIiEOHoZZYqUjS5J_r3CduknFEqGQgEKhAIACoHCAowtv3_CjCSposDMMX54gU?hl=en-US&gl=US&ceid=US%3Aen

According to the article, this is mostly due to the lack of our normal summer monsoon.  My plants could really use some water!

No relief in sight... From fried foxtails to torched triangles,this summer has been especially challenging with the endless days of extreme heat.Trees are actually dieing from the heat this year,at a level equal to a 27F freeze...

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

IMG_20200811_200736261.jpg

IMG_20200812_073748347_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200812_074238267_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200812_073354804.jpg

IMG_20200812_074324181_HDR.jpg

• Like 1

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

Even cacti and succulent plants are taking a hit this year.Hot Hot Hot!

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

IMG_20200812_073522457_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200812_074603352_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200812_073611754.jpg

• Like 2

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

Yeah it's nuts.  It makes you really begin to understand what Lake Havasu and Bullhead gardeners go through every single summer, LOL.

• Like 1

Driest Monsoon period -thus far- in the last 20 years..   Maybe some hints of change over the next 2 weeks i mentioned over in the "Current temps" thread. Better hope we get -something- between now and the end of the season.. Pretty strong signals atm the Winter ahead will be DRY, or at least much drier than the past two years.

• Like 1

I planted all my Palm trees between the months of May-Current due to recently buying a house in Maricopa, AZ. I planted everything from Roystonea regias, Dypsis lutescens, green Bismarckias,and Pseudophoenix Sargentiis to desert palms like the washingtonias. If my palms survive the summer, I'm pretty sure its safe to say theyll be fine the rest of the time here in the desert. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, xoRudy said:

I planted all my Palm trees between the months of May-Current due to recently buying a house in Maricopa, AZ. I planted everything from Roystonea regias, Dypsis lutescens, green Bismarckias,and Pseudophoenix Sargentiis to desert palms like the washingtonias. If my palms survive the summer, I'm pretty sure its safe to say theyll be fine the rest of the time here in the desert. 

Same for the garden at my new house. I even planted a couple thirsty eastern deciduous species like Catalpa bignonioides and a live oak.  Here’s to giving Mother Nature the middle finger this summer! :innocent:

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Driest Monsoon period -thus far- in the last 20 years..   Maybe some hints of change over the next 2 weeks i mentioned over in the "Current temps" thread. Better hope we get -something- between now and the end of the season.. Pretty strong signals atm the Winter ahead will be DRY, or at least much drier than the past two years.

Did you get any rain at all???  For July until present I recorded 1.19"...  which is nothing.. really. 

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&pw

1 minute ago, SailorBold said:

Did you get any rain at all???  For July until present I recorded 1.19"...  which is nothing.. really. 

Had one " eh " event that dropped .31- maybe .50"  toward the end of July, but nothing since.. Phoenix has only seen .10" at the Airport, Should be over an Inch by now for the season. Many other areas around the Valley haven't seen anything. While a few isolated neighborhoods saw more rain from one event, Tucson is really in the hole.. .66" at the Airport so far, should be over 2.5? or 3" for the season by now.. Brutal, esp w/the heat 113-115F thru -at least next Wednesday/Thursday. Possibly longer. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, ahosey01 said:

@Silas_Sancona when will I get rain in Wickenburg!? Help! LOL

I hear ya..  Tough to say. NWS has us under a "Marginal Risk" area for storms this afternoon, but another forecaster's blog i check daily isn't as optimistic, esp. compared to yesterday.. So, Hate saying it but ...We're just going to have to sit and wait ( ..and suffer ).  May be a good day, may end up dusty, like last night, if not more dust being blown around later today. 

If we get nothing today ( Slim chance tomorrow also ) may be waiting until next weekend.. Heat goes nowhere regardless.. Not sure what it will take to put an end to it.

26 minutes ago, Silas_Sancona said:

I hear ya..  Tough to say. NWS has us under a "Marginal Risk" area for storms this afternoon, but another forecaster's blog i check daily isn't as optimistic, esp. compared to yesterday.. So, Hate saying it but ...We're just going to have to sit and wait ( ..and suffer ).  May be a good day, may end up dusty, like last night, if not more dust being blown around later today. 

If we get nothing today ( Slim chance tomorrow also ) may be waiting until next weekend.. Heat goes nowhere regardless.. Not sure what it will take to put an end to it.

Currently measuring 107 in my yard with 5% humidity.  The leaves on my Eucalyptus with the broad sides getting direct sun are still green, but they feel like potato chips. LOL

27 minutes ago, ahosey01 said:

Currently measuring 107 in my yard with 5% humidity.  The leaves on my Eucalyptus with the broad sides getting direct sun are still green, but they feel like potato chips. LOL

You should see all the Red Birds ( Caesalpinia pulcherrima ) planted in commercial landscapes/ neighborhood green spaces around here.. Last peak in this extended heatwave, all the flowers fried off every single specimen i saw around Chandler.. Heat this week upped the game.. Burnt a lot of the flowers again, and some of the foliage on many.  Never seen that before..  Some scrappy Eldarica Pines in the neighborhood?  Yellow and brown.. Not good.

3 minutes ago, Palmcycasnut said:

Help need monsoon in Surprise soon also lol. I've never watered so much for so long in my life!

Nothing from the storm that came off Lake Pleasant earlier? Looked nasty on radar.

8 minutes ago, Palmcycasnut said:

Something, wind and dust only! :(

:bummed:  Bummer..  That's all i had also..  We really need a break. Dare is say desperately?

7 hours ago, greysrigging said:

Confirmed ?
117946340_10157214116586401_2635361966500357404_o.thumb.jpg.64b076895e683764fb9db7bd351a0422.jpg

Last i saw, it is being evaluated by the NWS which should take a day or two to conclude/verify, if not sooner.  In that time,  highs on one of the next 3 days could challenge yesterday's 130F again, maybe top it by a degree.

As has been the case since... last week.. all sorts of records smashed across the west/southwest again yesterday.. More on tap for today.

Local Monsoon- hopeful? Keep your eyes to the sky.. Day #2 of "decent" -by this seasons standards- chances for some rain here. Skies are still quite dusty over this end of the Valley  atm also.

Edited by Silas_Sancona
edit
  • Like 1

DUDE... this heat is just awful.  I've lost 4 different Aloe species!!  I've never had a problem with my Aloes before.... :(  Most everything in the yard is stressed to some degree.  My only positive is all the mulch I put down, it's at least cutting down on the watering I typically have to do.  I really hope this isn't the new normal, summer is my downtime, when I recoup and plan for the coming season, winter is typically the stressful time spent watching weather patterns and worrying about plants.

• Like 1

After last nights blow down, more decent rain/storm chances today. Phoenix sits in the heart of the " Marginal Risk " area for storms.. and the overall flow is almost due east or slightly southeasterly to west off the Rim/ White Mountains. Had a few sprinkles already here in Chandler about an hour ago..  Hot and sticky out.. Going to attempt something different to get better Lightning shots -if- all goes as suggested.      Lets Go!

On a side note, the storm that roared through the East valley last night torched several palm trees over in Gilbert, Sent a Firefighter to the hospital after being electrocuted by a downed power line, destroyed a drive thru COVID testing site in Mesa, and started a couple small brush fires on that side of town. 

Keeping an eye on the neighbor's Mesquite. After loosing  a major vertical limb, the structure/canopy of the tree is greatly lopsided. All structural limbs/ branching lean quite a bit, like a Sail tilted roughly 115-120deg. Another strong wind event from the east/northeast today/this evening + the weight of heavy rain, and it is very possible the entire canopy crumbles. One reason to avoid planting this particular type of Mesquite ( Chilean/ Argentine Mesquites ).  Growth rate is wayy to fast compared to structural development. Aside from shedding a few twigs, " The Beast " ( For those not already familiar, this is a reference to the giant Mesquite in my yard, likely a sp. from N. Central Mexico. ) laughed at the wind last night.  We'll see what happens.

Edited by Silas_Sancona
edit
  • Like 2

We're getting light rain as I post this! This cell is on it's way to us hopefully :D

Screenshot_20200818-114222_Chrome.jpg

• Like 2

Hesperia,Southern CA (High Desert area). Zone 8b

Elevation; about 3600 ft.

Lowest temp. I can expect each year 19/20*f lowest since I've been growing palms *13(2007) Hottest temp. Each year *106

32 minutes ago, James760 said:

We're getting light rain as I post this! This cell is on it's way to us hopefully :D

Screenshot_20200818-114222_Chrome.jpg

Same general east to west flow around that heat dome over Nevada/ Utah should help any storms that form over the deserts, south of the I-40, continue moving west/ northwest. See some stuff trying to form over Indio/  Joshua Tree atm. Some showers blowing up over San Jacinto also.

Actual humidity might not be all that high atm here but very hot/sticky right now.  Was out doing the weekly grocery shopping and there are trees down all over Chandler.. BIG trees in several places. Lots of stuff killed or really burnt from the heat also, including some Saguaro.

Came across these over at the Mall.  These were already being cleaned up when i took the pics ..but you get the idea. Saw several dozen more that were either uprooted entirely, or look like someone tossed a stick of dynamite in the canopy. One of my favorite desert trees, but a pretty clear display of how susceptible  Palo Verde are to 60/60+mph winds. Never seen such extensive damage the entire time i have been here.
DSC09210.thumb.JPG.6adb655fbf30acd76beedaa057052a67.JPG

DSC09211.thumb.JPG.23e94a8ea135904fb2a956c804226d28.JPG

Edited by Silas_Sancona
edit
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Same general east to west flow around that heat dome over Nevada/ Utah should help any storms that form over the deserts, south of the I-40, continue moving west/ northwest. See some stuff trying to form over Indio/  Joshua Tree atm. Some showers blowing up over San Jacinto also.

Actual humidity might not be all that high atm here but very hot/sticky right now.  Was out doing the weekly grocery shopping and there are trees down all over Chandler.. BIG trees in several places. Lots of stuff killed or really burnt from the heat also, including some Saguaro.

Came across these over at the Mall.  These were already being cleaned up when i took the pics ..but you get the idea. Saw several dozen more that were either uprooted entirely, or look like someone tossed a stick of dynamite in the canopy. One of my favorite desert trees, but a pretty clear display of how susceptible  Palo Verde are to 60/60+mph winds. Never seen such extensive damage the entire time i have been here.
DSC09210.thumb.JPG.6adb655fbf30acd76beedaa057052a67.JPG

DSC09211.thumb.JPG.23e94a8ea135904fb2a956c804226d28.JPG

You're a smart dude, so maybe I'm missing something here.  But I feel like I see ripped up Palo Verde all the time.  I suggested buying one to my wife and she was like "yeah if you plant it 100ft from the house!" lol

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ahosey01 said:

You're a smart dude, so maybe I'm missing something here.  But I feel like I see ripped up Palo Verde all the time.  I suggested buying one to my wife and she was like "yeah if you plant it 100ft from the house!" lol

True.. Have seen relatively minor wind events take down a branch or two on neighborhood P.V.'s. That said, never encountered the kind of damage -over a wide area- as i took note of today.  Here's another that came completely out of the ground.
DSC09216.JPG.6dc01043426417e3b2af57fbc5664484.JPG

...Shoestring Acacia, half a block away.
DSC09217.JPG.2414e98d81cfda5190c3bfa144ce832e.JPG

• Like 1

yikes! I like those trees as well but won't be planting any now :bemused:

• Like 1

Lowest temp. I can expect each year 19/20*f lowest since I've been growing palms *13(2007) Hottest temp. Each year *106

1 hour ago, James760 said:

yikes! I like those trees as well but won't be planting any now :bemused:

This can happen from overwatering.  The tree roots have no incentive to push down further into the more compacted desert clay and caliche when the water is sufficient in the topsoil layer.  Typically if you give your desert trees enough to keep them growing - but not enough to make them grow really crazy in their first few years - this won't happen.

• Like 1

Wow what a lucky kid! That was way to close of a call :bemused:  He's very fortunate to be alive. :innocent:

ya no thanks to planting any of those.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, James760 said:

Wow what a lucky kid! That was way to close of a call :bemused:  He's very fortunate to be alive. :innocent:

Tell me about it, lol, pretty crazy..  When i saw what it was that went through his windsheild, first thought was " ..Palo Verde,  go figure " As weak as the wood can be, it's a bit heavier than i'd have assumed. 

At least going w/ what i saw yesterday, weird how there was more damage to the P.V. s here compared to some massive Eucalyptus in the neighborhood. As i'm sure you know, a lot of Eucs are notorious for suffering damage during high winds.  There's one outside an apartment complex about a block and 1/2 away that -if it comes down, or some of it's limbs get sheered off, say goodbye to half a dozen cars that have to park near it, maybe part of the building near by..

• Like 1

Tell me about it, lol, pretty crazy..  When i saw what it was that went through his windsheild, first thought was " ..Palo Verde,  go figure " As weak as the wood can be, it's a bit heavier than i'd have assumed. 

At least going w/ what i saw yesterday, weird how there was more damage to the P.V. s here compared to some massive Eucalyptus in the neighborhood. As i'm sure you know, a lot of Eucs are notorious for suffering damage during high winds.  There's one outside an apartment complex about a block and 1/2 away that -if it comes down, or some of it's limbs get sheered off, say goodbye to half a dozen cars that have to park near it, maybe part of the building near by..

I first found out about how heavy Palo Verde Wood was riding my bike to work years ago. Since it holds so much moisture as a desert-native, the wood is heavier because of water content vs. other trees.

There was a thin, overhanging branch in the bike lane near a home I rode by at about shoulder-level. Normally, I’d just ride right through those and not worry about it - which is what I tried to do with this Palo Verde branch.  NOPE! Branch-sized bruise on my shoulder for 2 weeks at least!

• Like 2