IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Pinanga javana flowers

quaman58

Hey all, 

The nerd in me finds this flowering stuff interesting. It wasn't until I started growing palms that I learned that flowers are the most important feature in classifying plants. Here's the first serious attempt for this palm. 7 years in the ground, and as the last picture shows, poorly thought out when originally planted...

IMG_1181.JPG

IMG_1182.JPG

• Like 11
  • Upvote 1

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

Must have had a couple before I planted it; clearly I wasn't thinking it though.

IMG_1183.JPG

• Like 6

Bret

1 hour ago, quaman58 said:

Must have had a couple before I planted it; clearly I wasn't thinking it though.

IMG_1183.JPG

I’ve recently planted a few species that are slightly marginal in similar locations slightly under the eaves. The counter argument would be that if it were away from the house and not as protected it might not look as good as it does (looks great btw). Being a slender palm, think you can slowly bend it out into the open?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Tim Brisbane

Patterson Lakes, bayside Melbourne, Australia

Rarely Frost

2005 Minimum: 2.6C,  Maximum: 44C

2005 Average: 17.2C, warmest on record.

I been looking into getting a few 1ga sized but still on the fance.  Heard they need to be really grow in shade and marginal.    I’ll prob give it a try glad I saw yours to sway me 

19 minutes ago, tim_brissy_13 said:

I’ve recently planted a few species that are slightly marginal in similar locations slightly under the eaves. The counter argument would be that if it were away from the house and not as protected it might not look as good as it does (looks great btw). Being a slender palm, think you can slowly bend it out into the open?

Oh yeah, it's gonna have to! What it does once it does after that is another question...

Bret

7 minutes ago, Briank said:

I been looking into getting a few 1ga sized but still on the fance.  Heard they need to be really grow in shade and marginal.    I’ll prob give it a try glad I saw yours to sway me 

Brian, I think most Pinangas that will grow for us prefer some shelter. But this has been a pretty rugged palm, spotting in the wintertime, then growing like crazy come spring.

Bret

@quaman58 I'd say you're on the money, based on the palm pedia pic below.

337px-5267722787_9347573d10_o.jpg

• Like 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Bret, that's pretty darn good for California. 

Beautiful palm, dreaming of its full potential...

• Like 1

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Love that palm! I love the species so much that I even tried to get three to grow up here in the Bay Area. Frost free but just not enough winter warmth. They’d look healthy and suddenly keel over in about late February. Oh well, Pinanga philipiensis has been through two winters so far and keeps chugging along. I like the look of P. Javana more though! 

Edited by Jim in Los Altos

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

8 hours ago, Jim in Los Altos said:

Love that palm! I love the species so much that I even tried to get three to grow up here in the Bay Area. Frost free but just not enough winter warmth. They’d look healthy and suddenly keel over in about late February. Oh well, Pinanga philipiensis has been through two winters so far and keeps chugging along. I like the look of P. Javana more though! 

Great to hear about philipiensis in your area Jim. The stems on those are so cool. I've got a cluster of those within about 20' of the javana, also tucked against the house. Now I'm trying watanaiana. I've heard they've got some cold tolerance and are so pretty with the mottled leaves. I'll report back after winter..

• Upvote 1

Bret

8 hours ago, quaman58 said:

Great to hear about philipiensis in your area Jim. The stems on those are so cool. I've got a cluster of those within about 20' of the javana, also tucked against the house. Now I'm trying watanaiana. I've heard they've got some cold tolerance and are so pretty with the mottled leaves. I'll report back after winter..

Nice job with the P javana Bret!  I wasn't as successful as you.  I had it growing on the north side of the house in full shade with some additional protection from overhead Howea forsteriana but lost it the first winter.   I may have to try this species again now that I'm starting to get some canopy going in Leucadia.  Make sure to report back on the Pinanga watanaiana this winter too!

• Like 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

Mine has been in the ground around 5 years from a nice 5gl.

It gets sun until about 10a to 11am depending on time of year and then filtered light onward.

Always wet feet. Always pushing a spear, even if one is opening. Love the giant leaves on it.

Grows through Winter. The cold spotting not too bad, probably canopy protection.

Is planted under a giant Royal and falling leafs have had near misses. fingers crossed.

1 (Large).JPG

2 (Large).JPG

3 (Large).JPG

• Like 9
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, TomJ said:

Love the giant leaves on it.

That was a big attraction for me too!  Really nice job with this and hope you keep on getting misses as those Roystonea leaves fall!

• 3 months later...
On 8/11/2020 at 6:23 PM, quaman58 said:

Hey all, 

The nerd in me finds this flowering stuff interesting. It wasn't until I started growing palms that I learned that flowers are the most important feature in classifying plants. Here's the first serious attempt for this palm. 7 years in the ground, and as the last picture shows, poorly thought out when originally planted...

IMG_1181.JPG

IMG_1182.JPG

What's the word Brett did the javana seeds become viable this is such a great looking palm tree and Tom that's insane color on your javana i have never seen the color so intense  on one of these. Simply spectacular. I lost one with 2ft of trunk and have since started over.i agree with bret these can be pretty fast. 

Adam,

No, they aborted this time. It had thrown out a couple of pseudo inflorescences in the past couple years, but this was it's first real attempt. Maybe next year!

Bret 

• Like 1

Bret

Well it's cool that they are trying hopefully next time .My P. Coronata has finally held onto a handful of seeds this year for the first time after about 10 attempts .on 2,different clumps.

Nice, my coronata has been awfully slow. Would love to see some pictures of it Adam..

Bret

@quaman58 you go!

At least your plant flowered, and it's outgrowing its spot under your eave.

My two plants are doing well, but no whoopee on the horizon for either, so far.

Both are in shade, though one is in the teeth of the Afternoon Wind of Doom and looking good.

Marginal schmarginal!

• Like 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Brett here's a couple pictures of my P Coronata like I said there's probably only about 10 seeds total that are sticking but they look good so far and one  picture of my young P. Javana I am growing . Bad day for pictures it has been very overcast today 

20201209_150141.jpg

20201209_150124.jpg

20201209_150210.jpg

20201209_150106.jpg

20201209_154919.jpg

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, akamu said:

Brett here's a couple pictures of my P Coronata like I said there's probably only about 10 seeds total that are sticking but they look good so far and one  picture of my young P. Javana I am growing . Bad day for pictures it has been very overcast today 

Good work, as mentioned in a post above, I failed the test with P javana many years ago.  I did better with P coronata, but it died at some point between tenants.

On 8/12/2020 at 4:22 PM, Tracy said:

Nice job with the P javana Bret!  I wasn't as successful as you.  I had it growing on the north side of the house in full shade with some additional protection from overhead Howea forsteriana but lost it the first winter.   I may have to try this species again now that I'm starting to get some canopy going in Leucadia.  Make sure to report back on the Pinanga watanaiana this winter too!

Tracy That's funny you mention this mine is planted on the north side of my garage underneath the canopy of a triple howea forsteriana. . You should try that P.Javana again the first one i grew was doing awesome until i lost the canopy and it got burnt . Brett I think you  should do good with P. Watiana I grew one for about 3 yrs that did well and even suckered a few times until it was severely flooded by my elderly neighbor one to many times. 

• 5 months later...

Bump! Speaking of Pinanga genus in CA, has anyone a positive experience with Pinanga kuhlii (in CA that is)? I got hold one of plant of this taxon, or at least it is supposed to be of this kind. It will grow during several following years in my cold frame. What are its needs in soil and water?

Screenshot_20210609-195649_Viber.jpg.b84c7e2c04a896a1d010c6ba6b6e5669.jpg

Edited by Phoenikakias
  • Like 1

Gee, missed this thread….Good job everyone! Bret, some of my Pinanga have been in the ground and flowering for years and have yet to produce viable seed while others, that’s all they do.

Tim

• Like 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

2 hours ago, Phoenikakias said:

Bump! Speaking of Pinanga genus in CA, has anyone a positive experience with Pinanga kuhlii (in CA that is)? I got hold one of plant of this taxon, or at least it is supposed to be of this kind. It will grow during several following years in my cold frame. What are its needs in soil and water?

Screenshot_20210609-195649_Viber.jpg.b84c7e2c04a896a1d010c6ba6b6e5669.jpg

I don't have experience with that one, but I think I remember someone telling me that kuhlii was a variant (maybe) of coronata. If memory serves, MattyB was growing this without any trouble.. Looks great!

Bret

1 hour ago, realarch said:

Gee, missed this thread….Good job everyone! Bret, some of my Pinanga have been in the ground and flowering for years and have yet to produce viable seed while others, that’s all they do.

Tim

Good to know Tim. Fingers crossed for this year!

Bret

That’s a beautiful P javana. I had one in the ground here for a few years growing and doing well. But the freeze of 2017 quickly ended it. :(

P coronata on the other hand survived the 2017 freeze and the 2020 horror freeze. I hope I don’t see anything like that for another 20 years.

• Like 1

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.