Patrick Palms

Capoxylon Palms

Patrick Palms

Regarding the Carpoxylon Macrospermum 

Are they simular to grow like the Royals or Spindle palms? Can they cope with full sun when 7G and windy days? Are they water lovers of more Drought tolerant?

IMG-20200206-WA0008.jpg

• Like 2

Mike Evans

A 7 gal size will not do too good in full Sun.  Need to grow out in container in a little shadier conditions until it is mature enough for full Sun.  They like to be kept moist.  I find them to be very wind tolerant.

• Like 2

redant

I have had the worst time with these, 1 out of 5 still alive. Such a beautiful but difficult palm. 

• Like 1

Patrick Palms

Better option is the Satakentia but hard to get

Kim

I think they prefer high humidity (70%), plenty of water with good drainage. Where I grow them, they are in "full sun," --but-- it's cloudy or raining about 60% of the time. They are trouble-free in this environment. In April I planted out 5 1-gallon Carpoxylon in a newly cleared area, and 3 1/2 months later, they are doing fine. But I suspect they would not do so well in harsher sun and drying winds.

joe_OC

Growing it in coastal SoCal.  Mediterranean climate. Full sun with irrigation every other day.  Growing fine for me.  

• Like 2

realarch

Well heck, let’s see some photos!

Tim

• Like 1

James B

I have one in a pot I mail ordered from Florida that was sent bare leaf. I potted it and will bring inside during winter then plan to plant it in April.

It will always be under canopy in filtered light during the day. Humidity levels will be a tad higher than out in open. Plus while the Santa Anna’s get brutal, it get some protection from the larger palms around it.

James B

Purchased in late April. Was about a 1 gallon size when it arrived. In a 5 gal pot now. Just opening a new leaf. 

60054CCF-D2DF-4177-86FE-E608671BACC1.jpeg

AAA7181F-D74B-4A5A-97F7-D04DE0439823.jpeg

Edited by James B
  • Like 2

Patrick Palms

Beautiful Palm 

PalmatierMeg

I found both Satakentia and Carpoxylon tricky to grow when they are small, i.e., under 10g size. They seem prone to SDS - Sudden Death Syndrome. I made numerous attempts at them before I got 1 Carpoxylon and a couple Satakentia to survive and grow. I was told not to plant a Carpoxylon smaller than 15g. Also, I placed them in partial shade and let them grow into the canopy. Full FL sun on young palms can be lethal.

• Like 1

doubravsky

@James B looking forward to seeing your success with this palm! I’ve always wanted to try one in riverside... if yours thrives I think I will...

• Like 1