IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

donofriojim1

I Know its been a while but I have some updates on palms in the Ohio river valley. I recently met a guy in Louisville, Ky who planted some needle palms and sabal louisiana in 2014. They have been growing against the foundation of his house completely UNPROTECTED despite EVERY garden center telling him that it couldn't be done. In fact the sabal louisianas are actually beginning to from trunks and volunteer seedlings are sprouting up through out his yard! He allowed me to come down to his house and dig up a bunch of seedlings that are over a year old and made it through last winter unscathed. The first pic is me standing among his palms. The second pic is the volunteer seedlings that he allowed me to dig up. They are now happily growing in my yard in nearby Cincinnati. Some of which are already pushing out new growth!

louisville palm 1.jpg

louisville palm 3.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

That's pretty cool.  Both the Sabal and needle look real healthy.   I can see the needle making it, but the Sabal making it thru 2018 (unprotected??) was a feat.  

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

7 minutes ago, Allen said:

That's pretty cool.  Both the Sabal and needle look real healthy.   I can see the needle making it, but the Sabal making it thru 2018 (unprotected??) was a feat.  

They did make it through. there was damage but they quickly rebounded. They made it through both vortex years ! Here is a picture of them in late february,2018

feb 2018.jpg

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, donofriojim1 said:

They did make it through. there was damage but they quickly rebounded. They made it through both vortex years ! Here is a picture of them in late february,2018

feb 2018.jpg

Looks like it was close to biting the dust.  Luckily Jan 2018 was a rare cold.  I'm guessing it saw -5F???  And terrible cold duration...

Edited by Allen

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

2 hours ago, Allen said:

Looks like it was close to biting the dust.  Luckily Jan 2018 was a rare cold.  I'm guessing it saw -5F???  And terrible cold duration...

I'm in the central Kentucky area. My minors and minor/Louisiana look the same after bad winters. His needle looks great!

• Upvote 2

• 4 weeks later...

Fantastic! I’m with you...Needles are the least demanding...have two...both flower but any seed production is eaten by the squirrels...The larger one below lost the main trunking parent soon after I put it in the ground...all the pups took over, though...your friend’s palms look great...It’s very gratifying to have them do so well with no protection...definitely what a Needle and Sabal can do...have to look into that Louisiana for my yard.82B62721-939E-4F09-BCC0-0AF679FF32F2.thumb.jpeg.a8dc42a6c4e51cd564382df4973bc7d3.jpeg943D7AE0-CB72-4790-97E2-184B2B5B3995.thumb.jpeg.371f9cf23830f7cc36c8c3d12e5dc898.jpeg

• Like 3