Sign in to follow this  
ahosey01

10b in the Desert

ahosey01

Looking at the USDA map, it looks like there are some areas of 10b in the desert southwest.  None of them look to be near any population centers, though, no matter how small.  However, it's difficult to really decipher on the USDA map.

Are there any small towns in the desert southwest that are in zone 10b, or just up in the hills where nobody lives?

chinandega81

Ocotillo, CA. But not many people live there and wind and lack of water would be an issue for gardening.

I would say Yuma is about as close to a USDA Zone 10 that you will find as would be Yuma Foothills. Rarely goes below 32 in an average winter in town. 

Perhaps some higher elevation areas just above the valley floor in La Quinta near Palm Springs would fit the bill too. There is a coconut palm growing there I believe.

• Like 2

ahosey01
29 minutes ago, chinandega81 said:

Ocotillo, CA. But not many people live there and wind and lack of water would be an issue for gardening.

I would say Yuma is about as close to a USDA Zone 10 that you will find as would be Yuma Foothills. Rarely goes below 32 in an average winter in town. 

Perhaps some higher elevation areas just above the valley floor in La Quinta near Palm Springs would fit the bill too. There is a coconut palm growing there I believe.

Where is the coconut?

• Like 1

chinandega81

I believe in La Quinta in the cove. It is located in the Coachella Valley of California. You can search for it on here, there are several threads regarding it, as well as one in Salton City, Mexicali, Corona, CA.

• Like 2

GottmitAlex
On 8/8/2020 at 7:55 PM, chinandega81 said:

I believe in La Quinta in the cove. It is located in the Coachella Valley of California. You can search for it on here, there are several threads regarding it, as well as one in Salton City, Mexicali, Corona, CA.

The Mexicali coco is Kaput.  It was growing very well under some high voltage powerlines and the owners decided its fate. 

But yes, cocos can be grown in Mexicali. 

• Like 1

chinandega81

The Mexicali coconut was at a house that was sold and torn down. The yard and house are now a parking lot to a nee clinic. But at least we know there is a marginal 10b climate zone in the los dessert in spots.

• Like 1