IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Rhapidophyllum hystrix Heat Tolerance

ahosey01

I read tons of stuff about Rhapidophyllum hystrix being super cold tolerant.  I really like these palms, and I have a big, empty wall along the south side of my house that could use some filling in.  I'd like to plant a bunch of these in a line very close to the house to occupy the space.

However - this is the Sonoran desert, I have a stucco house, and it is on the south side in the full, blazing sun.  Will these palms take that kind of sun and heat reflecting off the building?  Are they fast growers?

Edited by ahosey01

I don't think it will do well.  Remember these grow in swamps and woodlands (shady) in very humid conditions.  I know in Florida you cannot plant them in full sun so I can only imagine your sun is at least as strong minus the humidity and water they are accustomed too.  I don't get rain in the summer and they seem to be pretty drought tolerant, but I don't have the extremes of heat and intense sun like you do.

But hey I could be wrong, maybe there are people in your neck of the woods having some success, but I don't recall anyone out your way with needle palms.

I think a mazari palm (Nannorrhops ritchiana) would be better suited if you don't already have them

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chester B said:

I don't think it will do well.  Remember these grow in swamps and woodlands (shady) in very humid conditions.  I know in Florida you cannot plant them in full sun so I can only imagine your sun is at least as strong minus the humidity and water they are accustomed too.  I don't get rain in the summer and they seem to be pretty drought tolerant, but I don't have the extremes of heat and intense sun like you do.

But hey I could be wrong, maybe there are people in your neck of the woods having some success, but I don't recall anyone out your way with needle palms.

I think a mazari palm (Nannorrhops ritchiana) would be better suited if you don't already have them

I agree with the Mazari Palm assessment, but I don't have the slightest clue where to find as many as I would need (5-6).

They grow in Central Texas but I have only seen them do well in shade (mine is planted in shade). The heat itself shouldn't be a problem.

~ S

14 minutes ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

@ahosey01I have hundreds of 1g mazari available. I can bring them out with the sabal uresana. 

Well then, that settles that.

If you still got my number, give me a call.  Couple questions about these.

I planted 4 along a south wall.. and only 2 remain. but the ones that didnt die are doing well and are on drip irrigation..  Most likely they are seeding as well. It may have been planting error.. I cant say as I dont have alot of experience with them. The only advise I can give is to think about how big the palms will get ultimately... especially since they are suckering.  I am thinking I planted mine too close to house now.. when i thought they were fine when I put them in.

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&pw

5 hours ago, SailorBold said:

I am thinking I planted mine too close to house now.. when i thought they were fine when I put them in.

The most common landscaping mistake I see is people planting too close to their houses. My rule of thumb is that you should be able to walk behind foundation plantings when they have matured. That way, any painting or window maintenance isn't a hassle. In wet or humid areas like the Gulf Coast, this permits better air circulation. It looks pretty peculiar at first to put a 3-gallon (or 1-gallon!) shrub so far away from the foundation, but after a couple of years, it fills in and looks just fine.

Edited by Manalto
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Manalto said:

The most common landscaping mistake I see is people planting too close to their houses. My rule of thumb is that you should be able to walk behind foundation plantings when they have matured. That way, any painting or window maintenance isn't a hassle. In wet or humid areas like the Gulf Coast, this permits better air circulation. It looks pretty peculiar at first to put a 3-gallon (or 1-gallon!) shrub so far away from the foundation, but after a couple of years, it fills in and looks just fine.

Yup yup.. and i even thought I gave it enough room.  Next time I will double what I thought was a good space.

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&pw

I"m in Chandler, AZ and I personally love Nannorrhops!  I'm partial to blue coloring and this species looks spectacular in our sun.  They are very hardy in our climate growing a lot like Chamaerops but faster as they age.  Mine are placed in a full blazing western exposure with reflected heat. and I've never had a problem with it.   Just keep in mind this palm is monocarpic so eventually you will have to break into this clump to remove palms after flowering. 

image.png.280959f64d6fb1ba239254c25df03797.png

• Like 1