IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dactylifera Frond Boots

ahosey01

This morning I was trimming back some of the old, leftover frond boots on my Phoenix dactylifera when something happened which I have not experienced.

Two of the frond boots, with no meaningful effort, ripped directly out of the trunk and left these big open spaces. Behind them, there is this fibrous dust that appears to fill the spot where they were. I have also noticed a faint musty smell, like a poorly ventilated, wet basement, coming out of the stringy fibrous material when I pull it away from the trunk.  It almost seems like the trunk is rotting under these frond boots.

Curious if anyone has experienced this or knows what it is or if it matters.  None of the other frond boots I have trimmed have done this.  This palm is growing just fine and has opened a few new spears since I got it.

EDB98178-8766-468A-9C98-B538ADC182E6.thumb.jpeg.460b3b8c4ec004f9a502af795de6a84c.jpeg

14EAFC61-8A42-4991-9F3F-3606E5C22ADB.thumb.jpeg.890a600d32010e4aec3cea119d3198c5.jpeg

26369685-F97F-42C4-B599-7C95BA271635.thumb.jpeg.948a47bb5b3fb13d6938aed68c3fa604.jpeg

Edited by ahosey01

I cant say I have seen that before.. but Id think as the palm gets bigger and the trunk expands it wont be as prevalent. The trunk looks thin to me.  Perhaps it was stunted being moved around as nursery stock??  I dont know.  You could probably treat the trunks with a fungicide to get rid of the funk and prevent it from carrying on.. if thats what it is.  also sterilize your pruners perhaps..

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&pw

12 hours ago, SailorBold said:

I cant say I have seen that before.. but Id think as the palm gets bigger and the trunk expands it wont be as prevalent. The trunk looks thin to me.  Perhaps it was stunted being moved around as nursery stock??  I dont know.  You could probably treat the trunks with a fungicide to get rid of the funk and prevent it from carrying on.. if thats what it is.  also sterilize your pruners perhaps..

Best fungicide for this application?

• 3 weeks later...

Update to this thread...

Noticed today that more chunks of “bark” all over the trunk have turned brittle and are effortlessly ripped away by hand. Any time you break one of these pieces away, it is full of something strange and white and sort of fibrous.  They also all smell like a musty basement:

01C6D74B-D395-4C5A-B313-ABBCC23AD3C5.thumb.jpeg.7e84c87b7e2f83cde22ea1beeb6a2dc9.jpeg

Also, I noticed that the “bark” as I am calling it is breaking away from the crown of the roots, which are turning black and beginning to smell similar to the chunks I peel away:

F8D85DB3-2BA0-4A4E-B212-5E04A93C2F9A.thumb.jpeg.ffce988414167cb38045ee72d0f0d427.jpeg

I feel like something is wrong here.  Anyone experienced this? As far as the green parts go, this thing appears to be doing great.  It’s opened three or four fronds since June and looks like I’ll get another one in September.  I really like this palm but I’m starting to think there’s something wrong with it.