IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Cold Hardy Compliment to Palms

VA Palmer

I wanted to share my success with these Pink China (Colocasia esculenta) elephant ears to compliment my cold hardy palms in Zone 7A Northern Virginia.  Having failed twice to overwinter Thailand Giants (Colocasia gigantea) I found these cold hardy Pink Chinas (from PlayitKoi).   The larger ones are last year's reemerged and the smaller ones are all its pups.  Come first frost last Fall, I cut them at the ground and covered them with a few inches of mulch.  Come Spring, I slowly rolled off the mulch as the fear of late frost subsided and these guys popped like crazy.  They need shade, so once my palms get big enough to make shade, I'll transplant some of these pups for around the palms.

Pink China yr 2.jpg

• Like 6

There are a large number of tropical looking perennials that can be planted in northern zones. 

Several varieties of Colocasia and Alocasia are cold hardy. Alocasia Odora should be root hardy there provided mulch and can take sun or shade provided proper soil and water. 

There are also a number of gingers that look extremely tropical that are hardy in the ground. 

Don't forget about Musa Basjoo banana's as well. 

I don't think there is another more tropical looking plant that you can stick in your yard than a banana. haha.

• Upvote 5

3 hours ago, Dartolution said:

There are a large number of tropical looking perennials that can be planted in northern zones. 

Several varieties of Colocasia and Alocasia are cold hardy. Alocasia Odora should be root hardy there provided mulch and can take sun or shade provided proper soil and water. 

There are also a number of gingers that look extremely tropical that are hardy in the ground. 

Don't forget about Musa Basjoo banana's as well. 

I don't think there is another more tropical looking plant that you can stick in your yard than a banana. haha.

My Musa Bajoos at the pool a couple months ago.  They are twice as big now.

4035 Pool1.jpg

• Like 1

Just now, VA Palmer said:

My Musa Bajoos at the pool a couple months ago.  They are twice as big now.

4035 Pool1.jpg

Thanks btw.  I will look up Alocasia Odora.

@VA Palmer No Problem. 

Alocasia odorata is pretty easy to find. There are solid green and variegated varieties. They are a trunking Alocasia in warmer climates. I have 2 very large clumps of them in my front entryway bed, that are trunked, and do well here in 8a. They are said to be hardy to 7a. I would just put them somewhere you can mulch them and perhaps cover the base with a tarp when winter arrives. That may not even be necessary though. 

1 minute ago, Dartolution said:

@VA Palmer No Problem. 

Alocasia odorata is pretty easy to find. There are solid green and variegated varieties. They are a trunking Alocasia in warmer climates. I have 2 very large clumps of them in my front entryway bed, that are trunked, and do well here in 8a. They are said to be hardy to 7a. I would just put them somewhere you can mulch them and perhaps cover the base with a tarp when winter arrives. That may not even be necessary though. 

Thanks!

• Like 1

The musa basjoo I planted last year came back and are nearly as tall as my house! Should peak over the roof but the end of the season I hope.

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

Congrats on the Pink China.  They are super hardy and aggressive.  I put a type of dwarf EE called Colocasia Fallax around some of my palms like this.   I have a ton of EE.   I've never had a problem with EE coming back in 7A.  I do 2-4" pine bark mulch for winter.  Most take sun fine, they just don't like afternoon full sun.  Here are pics of the smaller varieties.  The green ones are the Fallax and are about 12"-18" tall.  And honestly you can grow a TON of tropicals in 7a that come back year after year.  

IMG_1967.thumb.JPG.029658e11356389f0083ec946288b0c5.JPG

IMG_1969.thumb.JPG.27e3315f076d29f5eb272f4b710c479e.JPG

IMG_1970.thumb.JPG.8db24b62b62b8408857f81e49be31b5a.JPG

IMG_1973.JPG

IMG_1972.JPG

IMG_1971.JPG

Edited by Allen
  • Like 6

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

You guys should check out the Tropical Looking Plants forum, which is where I go for ideas on companion plants.

• Upvote 3

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

I just moved to TX from 7a in NJ.  No more zone envy for me!  My favorites that I grew were Tetrapanax (Steroidal Giant), hardy hibiscus, Arundo Donax Peppermint Stick, Eucomis, some of the bigger hostas like Empress Wu and Sum And Substance and as everyone else has mentioned the Basjoo.  The Basjoo stores very easily dug up and almost bare root if you want to have a head start on the stalk next year.  Trim the suckers and you'll get a much bigger main plant.    Ensete Maurelli store equally as easily bare root.  I collected (still do) elephant ears.  I had about 40 varieties of Colocasia, Alocasia, and Xanthosoma but I dug them every year.  They're too easy to overwinter dormant inside to worry about losing any to rot.   The cold isn't the problem with them, its being wet while they're dormant.  

• Upvote 3

14 hours ago, Allen said:

Congrats on the Pink China.  They are super hardy and aggressive.  I put a type of dwarf EE called Colocasia Fallax around some of my palms like this.   I have a ton of EE.   I've never had a problem with EE coming back in 7A.  I do 2-4" pine bark mulch for winter.  Most take sun fine, they just don't like afternoon full sun.  Here are pics of the smaller varieties.  The green ones are the Fallax and are about 12"-18" tall.  And honestly you can grow a TON of tropicals in 7a that come back year after year.  

IMG_1967.thumb.JPG.029658e11356389f0083ec946288b0c5.JPG

IMG_1969.thumb.JPG.27e3315f076d29f5eb272f4b710c479e.JPG

IMG_1970.thumb.JPG.8db24b62b62b8408857f81e49be31b5a.JPG

IMG_1973.JPG

IMG_1972.JPG

IMG_1971.JPG

Cool!

14 hours ago, Ben in Norcal said:

You guys should check out the Tropical Looking Plants forum, which is where I go for ideas on companion plants.

Thanks!

On 8/3/2020 at 7:59 PM, Ben in Norcal said:

Where can we find that forum? 

One group of plants i rarely -if ever- see discussed in tropical-themed gardens in such areas, numerous native Orchids, ( Grass Pinks, Fringed Orchids, Temperate Lady Slippers, etc ).. and several others ( that tolerate cold winters in 6A-8b ) offered by Plant Delights ( search "Hardy Orchids" there ).. Plan on trying several they offer out west.

There are also numerous plants from N.E. Mexico that has shown considerable cold tolerance and has been offered by another nursery in the region worth researching, esp in 7b-9a areas.

Edited by Silas_Sancona
edit
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

One group of plants i rarely -if ever- see discussed in tropical-themed gardens in such areas, numerous native Orchids, ( Grass Pinks, Fringed Orchids, Temperate Lady Slippers, etc ).. and several others ( that tolerate cold winters in 6A-8b ) offered by Plant Delights ( search "Hardy Orchids" there ).. Plan on trying several they offer out west.

Yes, that's an excellent point. They can be quite pricey and I prefer to collect some information on whether they'd grow here in Texas, for example (the winters just being one of the many issues), before pulling the trigger.

Edited by Swolte
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Swolte said:

Yes, that's an excellent point. They can be quite pricey and I prefer to collect some information on whether they'd grow here in Texas, for example (the winters just being one of the many issues), before pulling the trigger.

I tried hardy orchids here and they live thru winter but are picky/poor growers and seem weak. 

• Like 1

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

2 hours ago, Swolte said:

This is true, especially that nursery in particular..  Agree that extensively researching any that might look interesting enough to consider trying -before purchasing- is a must also.. 

1 hour ago, Allen said:

I tried hardy orchids here and they live thru winter but are picky/poor growers and seem weak. 

Interesting.. I know most of the Lady Slippers ..and at least one of the Fringed Orchid species  are pretty particular in their requirements but others -Grass Pinks ( Calopogon )/ Bletilla are supposed to be fairly easy, especially once they put on some size after a couple years..

Quite interested in the Cymbidium sp. PDN added to their catalog this year.. Most Cymbidiums are easy enough, practically a "Toss in the ground and forget"  kind of plant in many parts of CA.  Curious how this one would preform, let alone if it can be crossed to create hybrids that are both extremely cold hardy -and produce much larger/ more flowers like all the ones i grew up around.

Unfortunately the Jensoa group of Cymbidiums are not as easy to grow as the typical large flower Cymbidium hybrids. They are becoming more available in recent years. I have bought a few named cultivars of C. goeringii from a Taiwanese vendor at the Pacific Orchid Expo. They seem to be sensitive to too much sunlight and root rot very easily. C. sinense and C. ensifolium are a little easier in terms of culture. They are just as shy to rebloom under my watch. They still look nice as potted specimens with their delicate and elegant foliage.

• Upvote 1

Fragrant Hill Design

www.fragranthill.com

Mountain View, California

My personal favorites are Crinum lilies right now- Crinum Asiaticum and Crinum Augustum (Queen Anne) to be more specific. Queen Anne is a little less cold tolerant than Asiaticum, but if you’re 9a and up it shouldn’t be an issue. 

Edit: I see you’re in Virginia. You can put them in a pot and move them in and out. 

Edited by Jcalvin

• 3 weeks later...

Begonia grandis is another good tropical-esque perennial that's hardy to zone 7. The only problem I've had with them is that they spread so readily that they're almost invasive. They're easy to trim back with clippers or a weedeater, though. They're really pretty in late summer when they bloom:

begonia.jpg.ee4b0267466bad5d3a87c62e52320619.jpg

begonia2.jpg.a152a87f019d2058d562fac06bd92e6e.jpg

begonia3.jpg.21afc3cec30f02269056ee81b0bab073.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 8/3/2020 at 7:31 PM, Keys6505 said:

I just moved to TX from 7a in NJ.  No more zone envy for me!  My favorites that I grew were Tetrapanax (Steroidal Giant), hardy hibiscus, Arundo Donax Peppermint Stick, Eucomis, some of the bigger hostas like Empress Wu and Sum And Substance and as everyone else has mentioned the Basjoo.  The Basjoo stores very easily dug up and almost bare root if you want to have a head start on the stalk next year.  Trim the suckers and you'll get a much bigger main plant.    Ensete Maurelli store equally as easily bare root.  I collected (still do) elephant ears.  I had about 40 varieties of Colocasia, Alocasia, and Xanthosoma but I dug them every year.  They're too easy to overwinter dormant inside to worry about losing any to rot.   The cold isn't the problem with them, its being wet while they're dormant.  

How big did your variegated arundo donax get it NJ? I just got one here and wondering how big it might get in Louisiana.  I'm trying to piece together a sound barrier for my neighbors from my chickens. Lol

28 minutes ago, KsLouisiana said:

How big did your variegated arundo donax get it NJ? I just got one here and wondering how big it might get in Louisiana.  I'm trying to piece together a sound barrier for my neighbors from my chickens. Lol

In Jersey it was an easy 10' tall if not more.  It multiplied pretty rapidly but not enough that I'd ever worry about taking over, I'm sure it will go faster in LA.  Mine was never super dense though.  It created a great backdrop but I don't know if it would be enough for a noise barrier.  I should note that they are water lovers and I had mostly sand so that may have affected the density too.  Either way, still a great plant.  Keep an eye on if it is still young, I tried to buy one here in TX last year as a small plant but it turned out that it was mislabeled and was just a standard AD as the variegation faded as soon as it got to 2' or so.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Keys6505 said:

In Jersey it was an easy 10' tall if not more.  It multiplied pretty rapidly but not enough that I'd ever worry about taking over, I'm sure it will go faster in LA.  Mine was never super dense though.  It created a great backdrop but I don't know if it would be enough for a noise barrier.  I should note that they are water lovers and I had mostly sand so that may have affected the density too.  Either way, still a great plant.  Keep an eye on if it is still young, I tried to buy one here in TX last year as a small plant but it turned out that it was mislabeled and was just a standard AD as the variegation faded as soon as it got to 2' or so.

So I've read that in the southeast they really aren't too invasive.  I'll be able to control it either way.  It was very root bound so we will see if it has issues from that. I did put it in a wet part of the yard with pretty thick topsoil above sand so I think it will take off pretty good.  I'll send you a pic of it later and see what you think. I'm not sure I've ever seen a big variegated one, but the standard ones are very impressive. 

On 8/27/2022 at 8:49 AM, Keys6505 said:

20220828_112814.jpg

My Hardy Tapioca ( Manihot grahamii ) always looks super tropical . The main trunk dies back to the ground after more severe winters but I've had 4 mild winters in a row and it now has a woody trunk that's getting fat and it has become a small tree .

Will

Palmetto , Minor , Trachy in the picture with my Manihot grahamii on that side of the huge plant . It's actually been cut back once but they grow so fast .

52317567345_c698fa17fa_b.jpg

Another side of the Manihot  with Sabal Birmingham and some EE's on that side .

52317567235_cd6400c70f_b.jpg

• Like 1

Both Manihot and Peppermint are excellent plants for Central Texas. They have survived all weather extremes thrown at them with minimal care for me (and we've had nothing but records broken in summers and winters these past years).  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, KsLouisiana said:

So I've read that in the southeast they really aren't too invasive.  I'll be able to control it either way.  It was very root bound so we will see if it has issues from that. I did put it in a wet part of the yard with pretty thick topsoil above sand so I think it will take off pretty good.  I'll send you a pic of it later and see what you think. I'm not sure I've ever seen a big variegated one, but the standard ones are very impressive. 

Yea, it will get big where you are. It gets big in North Carolina. Not too invasive, but grows fast, like bamboo. It is a grass so will not suffer long from being root bound. Really a great plant.

• Like 1

Allen,  What are the pink and green variegated leaves just behind the trunk in the first two pics you have posted.   Those are very nice looking.

I am in the third year of China Pink and I am getting more than I bargained for.   They are very thick in places where I have planted them and have spread very rapidly.   They also seem to have popped up places where I did not plant them like 50 to 100 feet away.  I don't know how that has happened.  They do look nice  but I am at least concerned if the will choke out other plants like hostas  or maybe even some smaller palms.

I've also planted some sedum which is easy to grow here in 7a