IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Do Kentias grow that much faster in open soil outside as opposed to a container?

Palmfarmer

Just picked up a little kentia the other day i plan to have outdoors. Should it be fine Climate wise? it is close to a northeast facing wall and has canopy in forms of a threebranch with lot of leafs making a airpocket to make it slightly warmer in those cold winter nights here in the desert. From experience how cold hardy are they, i know it says 25f but what is your experience? 

Do Kentias Grow much faster if grown in open soil compared to a pot or are they allmost equally Slow outdoors? 

How slow approximently are these palms when living outside 

Thanks! 

IMG_20200801_200333946.jpg

28F is probably there limit. You will need shade for that one. They are faster in the ground but never really fast.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

3 minutes ago, Tyrone said:

28F is probably there limit. You will need shade for that one. They are faster in the ground but never really fast.

I hear they will just look like crap the first year being in the sun then slowly growing back there leafs correct? It does not get much sun there other than afternoon evening sunlight its mostly shade. ok i will use some christmas lights on it as well just to be safe then. 

Edited by Palmfarmer

I will replant it into another container that might give it some more stress? Thing is i dont really have any good somewhat shaded spots here. it is either this or allmost complete shade all the time.

16 hours ago, Palmfarmer said:

I will replant it into another container that might give it some more stress? Thing is i dont really have any good somewhat shaded spots here. it is either this or allmost complete shade all the time.

100% shade is perfect especially if your summers are hot. Kentia palms, in my experience, grow MUCH faster in the ground than in a pot. Fertile loan soil is best and they respond well to lots of water and often. I have many in my Northern California landscape. They’re one of my favorite palm species. Once a mature trunk diameter occurs, growth speed really accelerates and they’re not slow growing any longer. A few of mine...

8966FA34-463A-4355-B2A8-537D2E6C0F84.thumb.jpeg.481f05c23ada93a8178f38b443134c70.jpeg

210EF0D1-C645-4171-B630-CC1C75EFC0AA.thumb.jpeg.12561d2b878d330b94a917cad59b7f7a.jpeg

86C612EA-1001-482F-908A-D5FAFF0C2E9F.thumb.jpeg.8b9dcf8df319cd0d3d50130d05dbc566.jpeg

9EE271BF-C630-4E06-B1CE-839DB2311437.thumb.jpeg.c84db63a9f0c9cae5237784b13facc22.jpeg

247FBA79-CC00-49BA-80B8-744248812EB6.thumb.jpeg.bfdadd9ec459ac63b26295382a23ec96.jpeg

9019F35E-7A8F-4A65-B8E9-59CB3E20E6F2.thumb.jpeg.ec337b343bf728daa1b8389ac418af9c.jpeg

Edited by Jim in Los Altos
  • Like 10
  • Upvote 2

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

Hi there,

here is a documentation of my experiences with this beautiful species (but I learned the hard way...)

001.jpg.006b80f19c5b16342e416d119df144c8.jpg

Purchased in 2014 - planted out after just a few weeks in shade... - I thought I will give them the summer to get established > completely wrong decision...

002.jpg.2a095a692efcd6228aa049b3e2a7aedc.jpg

Seeing that happen was awful - unfortunately the summer turned out to be as one of hottest and driest we had. 

003.jpg.dad06c15b67aedb14fb69e26695722ee.jpg

Then I started to create shade large scale, first with a blanket and then with aggressive planting around it - and here it is now...

004.thumb.jpg.9ef801407da864e99bd547a3367bf4af.jpg

...an absolutely great looking palm.

In the meantime I purchased more but this time they barely get sun...

005.thumb.jpg.78ba8a30fa190f66f156b945a78b6b2c.jpg

Under a wide canopy of a L. chinensis and two washies, barely to make out...

006.thumb.jpg.afd41f2e9c90bbadfc4d56e6d7ef492f.jpg

...two very healthy looking and almost rocketing groups of Kentias...

007.thumb.jpg.8f641446d8224f5da164c055c82fa61b.jpg

I hope it helps -

best regards from Okinawa

Lars

• Like 3

More space is better. Oh, yeah, even to a Howea F, which takes less, but still.

• Like 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

9 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

More space is better. Oh, yeah, even to a Howea F, which takes less, but still.

Got it!

I guess the washies might not going to make it long-term because of our sometimes super-strong typhoons, so the Howeas are

planted as a kind of back up. At the moment I want them to get established under the canopy and then we will see.

Lars

Lars, Washies are tough, but I dunno about Okinawa

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Dave,

last August I got my largest one almost blown over during a typhoon, pulled back in place with a rope attached to my car, now 

it is fixed to a wall. 

xx01.jpg.d3c261d8660b7d7e679f33f367e42651.jpg

xx02.jpg.050bcd3603cee834f34b34a1ec239d63.jpg

xx03.jpg.0af1aaa72683053dbb1fd3dd206c8572.jpg

I think there is a critical stage but it might be possible that they can handle winds much better when they get really tall... (my guess)

However - @Palmfarmer, no hijacking intended!

best regards 

Lars

• Like 1

Wow thats crazy. I put in the most idieal spot outside on my property, it gets some sun there but its my best bet anyways. 

IMG_20200807_192043362.jpg

I'm tempted to put my Kentia in the ground as it is getting pretty big now. Not sure if I will get away with that though up here at 51N. What's the furthest north that a Kentia is growing in the ground? Any idea's? There must be some at like 45N which would give me hope?

Either way, it would be one hell of a zone push and it's not like I live in central London along the Thames or anything, where they rarely drop below freezing. I am out in the country away from any urban heat islands and I can get some pretty cold nights out here in winter. Although my low last winter was 27F. Nearby Guildford didn't drop below 29F, but that is a city of 100,000 people.

Perhaps I could get it through winter maybe? I understand that Kentia's are hardy down to about 20F, right? My Chambeyronia Macrocarpa came through the winter just gone fine. The Queens came through as well unscathed, but I don't know whether a Kentia would have? Thoughts...?

thumbnail_image0-16.thumb.jpg.f1c82986a28be47e41d61d6acc081474.jpg

Dry-summer Oceanic climate (9a)

Average annual precipitation - 18.7 inches : Average annual sunshine hours - 1725

Sorry, I don't believe that Howea is frost hardy to 20F.    :(

Here in California the conventional wisdom suggests that the tolerance is about 26-28 F.

• Like 1

San Francisco, California

4 hours ago, UK_Palms said:

I'm tempted to put my Kentia in the ground as it is getting pretty big now. Not sure if I will get away with that though up here at 51N. What's the furthest north that a Kentia is growing in the ground? Any idea's? There must be some at like 45N which would give me hope?

Either way, it would be one hell of a zone push and it's not like I live in central London along the Thames or anything, where they rarely drop below freezing. I am out in the country away from any urban heat islands and I can get some pretty cold nights out here in winter. Although my low last winter was 27F. Nearby Guildford didn't drop below 29F, but that is a city of 100,000 people.

Perhaps I could get it through winter maybe? I understand that Kentia's are hardy down to about 20F, right? My Chambeyronia Macrocarpa came through the winter just gone fine. The Queens came through as well unscathed, but I don't know whether a Kentia would have? Thoughts...?

thumbnail_image0-16.thumb.jpg.f1c82986a28be47e41d61d6acc081474.jpg

Put it in a big pot so you can move it around and keep it protected in winter. That’s if you want it to look good. It might survive a very mild winter freeze in the uk but it will be set back and look terrible trying to recover from the event for a long time. They are not fast to recover.

• Like 1

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

1 minute ago, Tyrone said:

Put it in a big pot so you can move it around and keep it protected in winter. That’s if you want it to look good. It might survive a very mild winter freeze in the uk but it will be set back and look terrible trying to recover from the event for a long time. They are not fast to recover.

Yeah I was going to pot it up regardless, but I was contemplating just putting it in the ground. Following you and Darold's comments though, I won't risk it. I will just keep it indoors between November - April, then move it outdoors during the warmer months. 

I don't actually leave it on the patio like it is in the photo. It would get scorched by the summer sun since it spends a lot of the year indoors and usually sits in a sheltered, shady corner of my garden. I better remember to move it back before I head off to work tomorrow, since I'm expecting sunny weather with high UV levels and 35C+. That thing hasn't been gradually accustomed to those conditions. I've already set some palms back this summer by making that mistake... :bummed:

• Upvote 1

Dry-summer Oceanic climate (9a)

Average annual precipitation - 18.7 inches : Average annual sunshine hours - 1725