IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

RIP Don Ellison

Daryl

Don Ellison passed away yesterday. For those that don't know him, he published a Palm book back in 2001 that was widely circulated.

https://books.google.com.au/books/about/Cultivated_Palms_of_the_World.html?id=STrAt8uYb-QC&source=kp_book_description&redir_esc=y&fbclid=IwAR1BQp7BqJ-5ZH1PLZH5Ujw73285Fr9KLuED-wM2sDycNnroFl3HlMv-Ij0 

Don was also involved in many horticultural projects and businesses and was recently nominated for the Order of Australia for his contribution to Australian horticulture.  His family runs one of the largest Howea seed/seedling export operations in Australia.  Funnily I drove past his old place a couple of weeks ago.

Daryl

Edited by Daryl
  • Like 2

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Sorry to hear this. I remember reading his book some years back.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

• 2 months later...
On 8/1/2020 at 9:21 PM, Daryl said:

Don Ellison passed away yesterday. For those that don't know him, he published a Palm book back in 2001 that was widely circulated.

https://books.google.com.au/books/about/Cultivated_Palms_of_the_World.html?id=STrAt8uYb-QC&source=kp_book_description&redir_esc=y&fbclid=IwAR1BQp7BqJ-5ZH1PLZH5Ujw73285Fr9KLuED-wM2sDycNnroFl3HlMv-Ij0 

Don was also involved in many horticultural projects and businesses and was recently nominated for the Order of Australia for his contribution to Australian horticulture.  His family runs one of the largest Howea seed/seedling export operations in Australia.  Funnily I drove past his old place a couple of weeks ago.

Daryl

Sorry I am a bit late to respond to this, but I wanted to say something. I am new to Palmtalk, and it was Don Ellison's book Cultivated Palms of the World that really got me into palms in the first place. I purchased the book when I was just becoming interested in palms and wanted to learn some species, and the book was so comprehensive and helpful that it really showed me just how diverse and beautiful the world of palms is, so I owe it to Don Ellison for my deep interest in palms. I have been meaning to look him up ever since I purchased the book, and I am so sorry to hear that he passed away. The work he did was so amazing and I would love to be like him one day. Thank you for sharing the sad news and may he rest in peace.

Thank you,

PalmsUSA

Edited by PalmsUSA
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1