IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Redding, CA

ahosey01

I have some family in Redding, CA, and am always amazed that their weather is - in the summer - in the same ballpark as Phoenix.

At 40N, is this the world's northernmost city that gets that damn hot?!

4 hours ago, ahosey01 said:

I have some family in Redding, CA, and am always amazed that their weather is - in the summer - in the same ballpark as Phoenix.

At 40N, is this the world's northernmost city that gets that damn hot?!

Hmm I'm curious too. It's usually in the 100s, and often in the 110s. I think in the US, no other place comes close at 40N. Redding winters can have some warmer days than where I live because of compression of wind coming down the hills. 

• 3 weeks later...

I find it very interesting that it gets so hot there when it boarders the PNW region which is usually chilly and wet. 

Edited by RedRabbit

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

Those temperatures don't make sense at all LOL! Those are Bakersfield, Fresno, central valley temps... When i use to drive through there all the time I do remember it  being hot. 99f-103f during summer but I never really thought about the uniqueness of it if any... ?

Hesperia,Southern CA (High Desert area). Zone 8b

Elevation; about 3600 ft.

Lowest temp. I can expect each year 19/20*f lowest since I've been growing palms *13(2007) Hottest temp. Each year *106

Uniqueness is that it's super far inland so no marine influence like there is sometimes in Sacramento, etc. Also,  it often gets compression of NW winds coming down the hills. This is the main reason it's so hot. Similar to the Santa Ana wind effect. Also disclaimer, I'm not a geologist. ;)

Edited by enigma99
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, enigma99 said:

Uniqueness is that it's super far inland so no marine influence like there is sometimes in Sacramento, etc. Also,  it often gets compression of NW winds coming down the hills. This is the main reason it's so hot. Similar to the Santa Ana wind effect. Also disclaimer, I'm not a geologist. ;)

No Geology degree needed, lol.. and 100% correct..

That end of the Valley is ringed by mountains which can cause air to warm ( compress ) as it descends, no matter which direction the wind is blowing in from under the right conditions..  As mentioned, being further removed from air moving thru the delta also contributes to how hot it can get..

That said, there have been a few times so far this summer where "wish casting" model runs suggested days where temps of 118-121F could occur in Redding  -and Sacramento-  which, to me, would be crazy -if they occurred.. or end up trending in that direction. 

That potential scenario might be one reason for some of the tree selections i'd seen on a newer list of those being trialed in Sac. and that end of the Valley  which are the same sp. planted widely here / Tucson, and areas around Palm Springs / High desert parts of inland S. Cal..  Interesting part of California's diverse climate for sure.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

No Geology degree needed, lol.. and 100% correct..

That end of the Valley is ringed by mountains which can cause air to warm ( compress ) as it descends, no matter which direction the wind is blowing in from under the right conditions..  As mentioned, being further removed from air moving thru the delta also contributes to how hot it can get..

That said, there have been a few times so far this summer where "wish casting" model runs suggested days where temps of 118-121F could occur in Redding  -and Sacramento-  which, to me, would be crazy -if they occurred.. or end up trending in that direction. 

That potential scenario might be one reason for some of the tree selections i'd seen on a newer list of those being trialed in Sac. and that end of the Valley  which are the same sp. planted widely here / Tucson, and areas around Palm Springs / High desert parts of inland S. Cal..  Interesting part of California's diverse climate for sure.

This is an interesting point about the Sonoran stuff growing up there. I’m wondering if you could grow dates up there. Dry as a bone into late summer, then just 35 solid inches of rain in the winter.

15 minutes ago, ahosey01 said:

This is an interesting point about the Sonoran stuff growing up there. I’m wondering if you could grow dates up there. Dry as a bone into late summer, then just 35 solid inches of rain in the winter.

I think they do, maybe not as a crop but not 100% sure.. 

16 minutes ago, Silas_Sancona said:

I think they do, maybe not as a crop but not 100% sure.. 

Yeah - curious if they will ripen up there without rotting.

I am sure they would grow in Redding and maybe even produce fertile seeds, but not so sure if the flesh that is surrounding them would be eatable. Some climate stats for comparison.

Redding, Ca at 40.6°N

260152840_Screenshot(318).thumb.png.5c4dbdb3b2d748ad9982a3ff3dfd88e9.png

Northernmost commercial date production in Elche, Spain at 38.3°N. Summer days aren't as hot as in Redding, but nights and winters are definitely warmer than those of Redding. Also it's substantially drier most of the year. 

27964210_Screenshot(319).thumb.png.5d0892724ec23138a0d2ac06a06bade4.png

Northernmost date palm culture (since middle ages) in Bordighera/Sanremo, Italy at 43.8°N.  Winters aren't that different from those of Redding, but summers obviously much colder. There are some sources stating that there are Phoenix dactylifera which have naturalized (not planted by men?) which would mean that the seeds are viable. I even was there in late August/early September and the date pits seemed to be of normal size but the flesh definitely wasn't edible. In any case the palms there back then were "exclusively devoted to the production of leaves, for the Jewish and Christian religious festivals" (source).

433095663_Screenshot(317).thumb.png.5608a26a78b2a8c9a5fae2afe6d03d5d.png

Unfortunately I haven't taken any pictures of the remnants of the once big grove. Now most of the valley is covered with other palms or buildings. In the background of my photo you can see some P. dactylifera and there are many more growing up the slopes.

DSC_2903.thumb.JPG.b3e67ee3f2ed4db33f71fbb98237a079.JPG

Some other remnants of the old grove.

454137284_Screenshot(321).thumb.png.af6b4fada22e730ddb50dc7ec351f42b.png

• Like 1

My big question is around the viability of a potential crop.

I know date palms need at least two environmental factors to produce ripe fruit - high daytime highs and little or no late-summer rain.

This is why dates are not grown commercially in most of the valley around Phoenix AZ.  They used to be (think some of the old date groves in the East Valley), but - as I understand it - farmers had to take extra steps (which equals extra labor) to ensure that the monsoon rains didn't rot the ripened fruit.

My understanding is that spring/early summer and winter rains are fine.

I wish I knew a date grower to ask these questions to!

Edited by ahosey01

Was in Redbluff today, 25miles south of Redding & temperature was 109f. The closer I got to Redding the hotter it got. When I passed Sacramento ( temp of 104f at the time) about half way to Redding temperatures jump up to 106-110 on the stretch until reaching Redbluff :hmm:

• Like 1

Hesperia,Southern CA (High Desert area). Zone 8b

Elevation; about 3600 ft.

Lowest temp. I can expect each year 19/20*f lowest since I've been growing palms *13(2007) Hottest temp. Each year *106

Look up Medford, Oregon - even further up but not too far from Redding and it too is pretty stinkin hot.  The hottest city in Oregon.

image.png.a4f53d30f454cf2498d40c8334d56446.png

• Like 1