IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Patience = Reward

realarch

That color is so sweet my teeth hurt! 🤩🥰😋 Irrationally jealous!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Ha Kim, you sure your teeth aren’t suffering from the goodies in that heart shaped box? But hey, I can see how the color on that palm could have the same reaction. It provides an inordinate amount of pleasure. It’s planted a tad bit too close to the house, but great visibility. 

Looks like you’ll miss the big rain event tomorrow so, safe travels and we’ll see you back here soon.

Tim

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

• 4 months later...

Yesterday was a great day, PRA with Justin, Jason, and Billeb. Toured Jason’s and my garden which gave me a photo op opportunity with Jason for an update. Powering on!

Tim

IMG_3618.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Upvote 4

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Another for the wish list.  I too am very jealous of the climate there and the plants that grow. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Hurricanepalms said:

Wow, I never realized how large this palm was until now. What a show stopper!

Nah, that’s just an abnormally small human 🤣

I was actually going to say the same thing. Looks a little like my A. purpurea / Licuala pairing… till I saw the difference in scale 📏📐

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Stacey Wright  |  Graphic Designer

6 hours ago, iDesign said:

Nah, that’s just an abnormally small human 🤣

I was actually going to say the same thing. Looks a little like my A. purpurea / Licuala pairing… till I saw the difference in scale 📏📐

Sometimes, if you’re lucky, you can get an Archontophoenix purpurea to look like a miniature version of the palm in the post above. 

• Like 2

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

13 hours ago, realarch said:

Yesterday was a great day, PRA with Justin, Jason, and Billeb. Toured Jason’s and my garden which gave me a photo op opportunity with Jason for an update. Powering on!

Tim

IMG_3618.jpeg

Yeah man! Good times. A special thanks to you, @Hilo Jason and @Justin for appeasing my self invite. Glad I could meet you all in person. 
I was so caught up in unheard plant names and visual sensory overload I didn’t even take a picture of this beauty.  It’s even more beautiful in person! Glad you got a pic with Jason to update this thread. 

11 hours ago, Hurricanepalms said:

Wow, I never realized how large this palm was until now. What a show stopper!

It’s a beast and getting better with age. 

10 hours ago, iDesign said:

….I was actually going to say the same thing. Looks a little like my A. purpurea / Licuala pairing… till I saw the difference in scale 📏📐

Tim’s got a really nice Arch. Purpurea with some good color not far from this badboy.  Muted coloring by comparison. I don’t think pictures do the Lemurophoenix justice if you can believe it. 

-dale 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

In my case it is more an issue of impatience, or maybe envy.  I bought this guy from Floribunda as a 4" tall pot in November 2014.  It went into the ground in October 2016 from a one gallon.  I've enjoyed the maroon-red petioles over the years, but nothing like the brilliant scarlet-purple Tim has.  So today I went out and tried cleaning away the dried up crownshafts left behind from pruned dead fronds.  Under all that was the first sign of what I can look forward to in the next few years.  The red area is only about 18-24" high, but hopefully the entire newly exposed crownshaft will have good color down the road.  The tree is about 15 ft tall.

580252689_Lemurredcs1.thumb.jpg.e1da513c61f9637a1aa9cff75063a121.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

Hey Dale, it was a pleasure meeting you and having a good time with lots of laughs. Yeah, many strange and unfamiliar names plus the BS that goes with them.  I did notice you were a bit dazed toward the end, I should have offered you a Red Bull or something.

Tim

Rick, oh yeah, you got a nice one. The coloring is identical to mine when the first couple of sheaths abscised. Call Jason and have him pose for a photo. 😁

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii