IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

How to sell seeds

Jimbean

Has anyone tried doing this before?  On Google or Ebay?  It looks like those who are listed have to pay.

Brevard County, Fl

1 minute ago, Jimbean said:

Has anyone tried doing this before?  On Google or Ebay?  It looks like those who are listed have to pay.

With eBay, there is often a listing fee and then a small fee after you sell.  Sometimes they will allow you X amount of free listings.  I don't personally use eBay to sell, but I do know folks who sell other items there as a side income and this information comes second-hand from them.

• Like 2

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

I've sold 1,000s of seeds and plants on eBay since 2010. Yes, you pay a % of each sale, including shipping, to eBay and Paypal so you have to figure that into your minimum acceptable price. You have to clue yourself into shipping/postal rates so you don't rip yourself off. You also have to look at what other sellers ask & get for their wares. My attitude is to give my Buyer some bang for his buck. So, while other guys sell Dypsis pembana seeds at 10 for $10, I offer them at 50 for $10. I fund nearly all my plant and eBay purchases from things I grow in our gardens so I don't touch our other limited income. If Paypal has funds I can buy; if not, I don't. I often list palm related stuff on PalmTalk first for less $ (Paypal only cut = 4-5%), wait a week of so, then list on eBay for more to cover that %. Frankly, I've found PT to be a squirrelly market - sometimes no response, other times gangbusters. Not sure why; maybe I should shower more often.

I don't sell to get rich because I won't. There are a lot of ripoff artists out there but honest, decent sellers too. Some of them are also on PalmTalk like me. Give your Buyer a decent product at a fair price, know what you are selling, tell the truth and you will do well.

In mid-August I will start posting a variety of palm seedling species here on PT: Euterpe edulis, Schippia concolor, Cryosophila guagara, Chamaedorea geoniformis, Drymophloeous sp and others. Stay tuned.

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Thanks for the replies.  I get excess of dypsis lutescens seeds I though maybe someone would want to buy them across the country since they can be houseplants as well.

• Upvote 1

Brevard County, Fl

Jim, if you join IPS you can list all the seeds you want.

• Upvote 3

Meg

Florida

On 7/22/2020 at 9:53 AM, PalmatierMeg said:

I've sold 1,000s of seeds and plants on eBay since 2010. Yes, you pay a % of each sale, including shipping, to eBay and Paypal so you have to figure that into your minimum acceptable price. You have to clue yourself into shipping/postal rates so you don't rip yourself off. You also have to look at what other sellers ask & get for their wares. My attitude is to give my Buyer some bang for his buck. So, while other guys sell Dypsis pembana seeds at 10 for $10, I offer them at 50 for $10. I fund nearly all my plant and eBay purchases from things I grow in our gardens so I don't touch our other limited income. If Paypal has funds I can buy; if not, I don't. I often list palm related stuff on PalmTalk first for less $ (Paypal only cut = 4-5%), wait a week of so, then list on eBay for more to cover that %. Frankly, I've found PT to be a squirrelly market - sometimes no response, other times gangbusters. Not sure why; maybe I should shower more often.

I don't sell to get rich because I won't. There are a lot of ripoff artists out there but honest, decent sellers too. Some of them are also on PalmTalk like me. Give your Buyer a decent product at a fair price, know what you are selling, tell the truth and you will do well.

In mid-August I will start posting a variety of palm seedling species here on PT: Euterpe edulis, Schippia concolor, Cryosophila guagara, Chamaedorea geoniformis, Drymophloeous sp and others. Stay tuned.

Good on ya!

And, give me a heads up on the Chamadorea geonomiformis . . . . (Dave the squirrel)

• Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Meg,

From time to time I get access to seeds and was wondering if it is worthwhile trying to sell them.

Do you sell uncleaned fruit (and seed) or cleaned seed and why one or the other?

You said you will have seedlings, do you think it worth the considerable extra effort to go the seedling root rather than just seeds?  Does it pay for the effort or do you just love them and want to make a litlle dinero for your hobby?

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

I haven't sold seeds, but I've sold other items on Ebay. I only list during "free listing" periods, and then yes, you do have to make sure to calculate your shipping price correctly, as well as the price of the seeds, so that after they take their cut, you still have enough money that it's worth the trouble. It's slow starting but it helps if you post a few items every day, instead of posting a whole bunch of items only one or two random days. It increases your visibility. 

I've sold items on other platforms as well, and I can say that Ebay seems to take the least amount of money off of the sale, etc., as long as you do your calculations and pricing correctly. IDK if they have special restrictions regarding plant matter, but I'm sure that's easily enough found out. 

Good luck! 

• Like 2

You can always put them on the website I run for free. It doesn't get a lot of hits, but then it's intended for 'those in the know'. 

Link in the signature..

On 7/22/2020 at 4:11 PM, Jimbean said:

Thanks for the replies.  I get excess of dypsis lutescens seeds I though maybe someone would want to buy them across the country since they can be houseplants as well.

The short answer is there are some who want seed throughout the country but far more seed available than the buyers need/want.. If you have seed for less common Palms you'll have better success on Ebay.

I sell seed from common S FL palms on Ebay.  For something like the Dypsis lutescens there's very little "profit" involved because there are so many people who list them at the same time as the seed matures & drops. Each person who starts a listing looks up what others are listing them for and goes a little cheaper which slowly drives the price down. So the new person sells one or two little orders till the next person drops the price or others lower their previous price. It's a supply & demand thing and the supply is huge compared with demand.  I have enough seed on one clump of the Dypsis lutescens maturing right now to supply the demand for the entire USA market on Ebay and so do all the others selling on Ebay.

Since the seed are "free" it comes down to how much it costs you to ship the seeds and how little your time is worth. Ebay & paypal fees total about 13% of the total sale which includes shipping. Expenses for a typical order are a zip lock baggie, padded envelope, two sheets of paper for a packing slip and label, ink to print, and packing tape. The expenses don't seem like a big deal till you realize what a high percentage of a low dollar sale they are. If you make a special trip to the post office to ship you pretty much lost money on a typical inexpensive seed order.

Here's one of my typical listings https://www.ebay.com/itm/264812652332

• Upvote 3

On 8/1/2020 at 5:18 PM, Jerry@TreeZoo said:

Meg,

From time to time I get access to seeds and was wondering if it is worthwhile trying to sell them.

Do you sell uncleaned fruit (and seed) or cleaned seed and why one or the other?

You said you will have seedlings, do you think it worth the considerable extra effort to go the seedling root rather than just seeds?  Does it pay for the effort or do you just love them and want to make a litlle dinero for your hobby?

I sell seeds and seedlings depending on what I have at the moment. Seeds are usually cleaned (reduces weight & less mess), sometimes not. Seedlings are sent w/o pot/soil. I  pack them very well. I sell uncommon/rare stuff not “usual suspect” stuff like S. palmetto, Pygmy dates etc. I buy a lot of seeds, germinate a lot of seedlings, sell what I don’t keep. I have 100s of palm species starting or continuing to flower and set seeds on our .61 ac property. I got to get rid of them somehow although I compost common or less desired species.

I provide high seed counts at reasonable prices. I don’t intend to get rich, just bring in extra money to help feed my palm habit. I started selling just before I was laid off from my job in 2011. I try to make all our palms pay for themselves.

I deeply appreciate PTers like Charlene and guys in HI who graciously make the effort to sell their seeds on the forum. I wish more of us would do so.

• Upvote 3

Meg

Florida