• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Aloes in Wonderland

The Gerg

If you’re not a cycad person you might want to look away now. I had the opportunity to tour this exceptional garden/nursery today.  First off, what a great name, “Aloes in Wonderland”, playing on “Alice in Wonderland” (I suppose that was obvious). I personally just recently heard about this place. So knowing I had to go up to Santa Barbara today for work I contacted the owner last night requesting a tour today. He was very accommodating given the late notice and basically said “no problem, come on by”. I’m sure some of you veteran cycad peeps know of this place but perhaps some of you don’t. The concept is this is basically his private garden but “everything’s for sale”. He will dig it right out of the ground for you. But whether you’re looking to buy or just looking to be wowed if you are ever in the Santa Barbara area I recommend requesting a tour. My pictures won’t do it justice but you will get the idea.

Btw, nothing is labeled. (I’m going to probably post these pictures in several postings).

5B70F867-05E1-40B7-8114-E63D96CE74EC.thumb.jpeg.aa4d63829641c2ce8d2a9949835843eb.jpeg0ABE4C8C-12E7-4E15-814C-15D3BFD22DE3.thumb.jpeg.9dccd1a44057fe9c8d9faeafd44f95de.jpegC8E587EB-E15E-49DD-AA1C-0496A79E5505.thumb.jpeg.2ea76ae447116c867ad8bd91de23da09.jpegEC226D25-CB04-4474-BE11-B2E6A2420F55.thumb.jpeg.b0d46434b49b0deae9cc38b6625d19c7.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Upvote 4

I’m watching my budget so I just grabbed a couple today.

Dioon planifolium

and

Encephalartos  “Cleopatra” (hybrid horridus and arenarius)

These two were in green house so they were not dug up today.

D586A606-C78B-47E5-9786-7A58B867B863.thumb.jpeg.d4ddfa2122a3db18affb64c3fbf5e2c9.jpeg

If you like cycads this is a must see place.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 3

What spectacular photography, and on a perfect day. That has to be the most comprehensive collection of photos I’ve seen of their Cycads. Most photos focus on their Aloes, Beaucarnea, Dracaena, etc. That really shows the scope of things. Only in California....

• Like 2

Very impressive!!:greenthumb:

Thank you very much for the tour!!

best regards 

Lars

• Like 2

Fantastic photography of the plants, walkways and views.  Love it!

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone (2012): 9b | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (1985, 1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a | 30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

55 minutes ago, hbernstein said:

I assume Jeff Chemnick's place?

Serious cycad beauty there!

You assumed correctly.

38 minutes ago, The Gerg said:

You assumed correctly.

Nice selection Mr. Chemnick has.  I have never been to see his place but I believe I have a couple of plants in my garden that he pollinated and created.  The post probably should have been over in "Tropical plants -other than palms" section.  I like this one which would likely be a budget buster:

5DB5293E-90CE-41FC-BEBE-75EDEE3F8837.thumb.jpeg.9d287900c9523c7870f3d6e7260e69b9.jpeg

• Like 4

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

2 hours ago, Tracy said:

Nice selection Mr. Chemnick has.  I have never been to see his place but I believe I have a couple of plants in my garden that he pollinated and created.  The post probably should have been over in "Tropical plants -other than palms" section.  I like this one which would likely be a budget buster:

5DB5293E-90CE-41FC-BEBE-75EDEE3F8837.thumb.jpeg.9d287900c9523c7870f3d6e7260e69b9.jpeg

Yes, I thought about that. If @PALM MOD wants to move it it won’t hurt my feelings. Still learning this whole platform and all the different categories and forums.

Jeff’s place is a total drool-fest! He is also the nicest guy. The garden is overwhelming and my head was spinning when I went. Even without the cycads, the garden is incredible. He has quite the collection of bulbs, caudiciforms, cacti, etc... stuffed into every nook and cranny. 

I don’t know you saw it, but he has an Aloe bainseii x plicatillis on the hillside that is so cool. 

Bring your wallet if you visit! He has a website too.  

16 hours ago, The Gerg said:

29AEC9AB-1803-4C7F-82EB-54336F1A9DAE.thumb.jpeg.91d54416222751ab8834c5cbeeaf336a.jpeg

I was scrolling through the great pictures and spotted this one.  There are several similar ones in other photos too, what's the one on the right?  The left sort of looks like a Transvenosus or another similar "big green one," but I'm stumped on the right one...?

1 hour ago, Merlyn2220 said:

I was scrolling through the great pictures and spotted this one.  There are several similar ones in other photos too, what's the one on the right?  The left sort of looks like a Transvenosus or another similar "big green one," but I'm stumped on the right one...?

A Dioon.  “Oaxacacensis type” according to Jeff.

Not to be confused with this Dioon Argenteum which looks similar. Very silver.

09A34DC8-0B7A-4502-818E-D0155D9C0918.thumb.jpeg.e8ecf9956d46c0e93b2f501606496a25.jpeg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, msporty said:

Jeff’s place is a total drool-fest! He is also the nicest guy. The garden is overwhelming and my head was spinning when I went. Even without the cycads, the garden is incredible. He has quite the collection of bulbs, caudiciforms, cacti, etc... stuffed into every nook and cranny. 

I don’t know you saw it, but he has an Aloe bainseii x plicatillis on the hillside that is so cool. 

Bring your wallet if you visit! He has a website too.  

Found a photo!

EFD1504E-D943-4CD8-9C10-19E34DC73A0A.thumb.jpeg.182aa67f0e0852fbfd39ddaa1ed06f44.jpeg

• Like 1

18 hours ago, The Gerg said:

A Dioon.  “Oaxacacensis type” according to Jeff.

Not to be confused with this Dioon Argenteum which looks similar. Very silver.

Very cool!  So is the Dioon "Oaxacacensis" the same as the Dioon Merolae "El Camaron" type?  Or has that not really been determined yet?  I have a few "Golden Dioon" types that are supposed to be from Oaxaca, bought from PT member ChuckG.  They are still young at 1-4" caudex, but the leaf shape and size does look similar.  I'm not too familiar with how to separate out the Dioon species and subgroups, so I am only spitballing guesses... :D  If I have it right:

Dioon Merolae Chiapas - smaller type "standard form"

Dioon Merolae Oaxaca - larger fuzzier type "Golden Dioon" with silver/gold tomentum

Dioon Argenteum - medium silver tomentum from Oaxaca but distinct from the local Merolae population

Dioon Oaxacensis - newly described and similar to Merolae Oaxaca above, not determined if it's a new species or a subspecies of Merolae.

All that is very confusing...fortunately Jeff is one of the guys describing them so hopefully you have the scoop!  :D

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1