Coasta

What is causing this burned look on my canary island date palm?

Coasta

20200719_150759.thumb.jpg.6636041dd0c3e26e6612999aaf258118.jpg20200719_150806.thumb.jpg.35cfb2d0bdac328c4aa79a4f9750acc6.jpgHello all! Just wanted to get your opinion on what could be causing my canary island date palms to have dark/ burned looking spots on each rachis that has come out this summer? 

The palm seems to be very happy as it has put out quite a few new fronds, just curious. 

Jim in Los Altos

I’m not seeing anything particularly unusual. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

James760

Question, are you watering in the crown? 

The brown on the rachis in the 1st photo might be burnt from the sun? 

Those brown 'liguels' if you may are normal in the 2nd photo. 

• Like 1

James760

Other than that I agree that nothing looks unusual.  I wouldn't be worried. 

• Like 1

Coasta
On 7/20/2020 at 1:26 PM, Jim in Los Altos said:

I’m not seeing anything particularly unusual. 

Hi Jim!!! I tottally am just seeing these post now. Below are some more photos of the rachis where it looks burned. 

Coasta
On 7/21/2020 at 1:13 AM, James760 said:

Question, are you watering in the crown? 

The brown on the rachis in the 1st photo might be burnt from the sun? 

Those brown 'liguels' if you may are normal in the 2nd photo. 

hi James! So sorry. I thought nobody had responded to this post. 

I actually used to wet the inside of the crown! I had stopped doing that about a month ago! Below are some more photos, if you wouldn't mind taking a look. 

Also what exactly is a liguel?

Coasta

here are some current photos 20200826_075341.thumb.jpg.0c7489449424815fb3f8c0e5db8c6f8d.jpg20200826_075327.thumb.jpg.c016487a6e92c48df86b8503c13720f9.jpg20200826_075302.thumb.jpg.8d64d487548443640a77fc57feadabe6.jpg20200826_075312.thumb.jpg.d0b206a716de832b853e8409f512683f.jpg

DAVEinMB
33 minutes ago, Coasta said:

I actually used to wet the inside of the crown

It's good you stopped. Constant moisture in the growing point will lead to problems down the road. Probably wouldn't hurt to treat the center spear and bud with peroxide

• Like 1

Coasta
30 minutes ago, DAVEinMB said:

It's good you stopped. Constant moisture in the growing point will lead to problems down the road. Probably wouldn't hurt to treat the center spear and bud with peroxide

Thanks Dave! Would you recommend just pouring a little peroxide in the bud? This won't damage anything correct? 

DAVEinMB

@Coasta no problem at all! Yes sir, just dump some down into the crown and listen for the fizz. You can repeat every day or every other day for a week or so or until you don't hear the peroxide reacting in the crown. It's really hard to over apply so no worries there. Your best bet is to apply early on in the day so the sun has a chance to dry the crown out before nightfall. 3% is the one you're looking for :shaka-2:

• Like 1

Coasta

Thanks @DAVEinMB!!

I am going to go out there and pour some in! 

• Like 1