• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What is causing this burned look on my canary island date palm?

Coasta

20200719_150759.thumb.jpg.6636041dd0c3e26e6612999aaf258118.jpg20200719_150806.thumb.jpg.35cfb2d0bdac328c4aa79a4f9750acc6.jpgHello all! Just wanted to get your opinion on what could be causing my canary island date palms to have dark/ burned looking spots on each rachis that has come out this summer? 

The palm seems to be very happy as it has put out quite a few new fronds, just curious. 

I’m not seeing anything particularly unusual. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

Question, are you watering in the crown? 

The brown on the rachis in the 1st photo might be burnt from the sun? 

Those brown 'liguels' if you may are normal in the 2nd photo. 

• Like 1

Hesperia,Southern CA (High Desert area). Zone 8b

Elevation; about 3600 ft.

Lowest temp. I can expect each year 19/20*f lowest since I've been growing palms *13(2007) Hottest temp. Each year *106

Other than that I agree that nothing looks unusual.  I wouldn't be worried. 

• Like 1

Hesperia,Southern CA (High Desert area). Zone 8b

Elevation; about 3600 ft.

Lowest temp. I can expect each year 19/20*f lowest since I've been growing palms *13(2007) Hottest temp. Each year *106

• 1 month later...
On 7/20/2020 at 1:26 PM, Jim in Los Altos said:

I’m not seeing anything particularly unusual. 

Hi Jim!!! I tottally am just seeing these post now. Below are some more photos of the rachis where it looks burned. 

On 7/21/2020 at 1:13 AM, James760 said:

Question, are you watering in the crown? 

The brown on the rachis in the 1st photo might be burnt from the sun? 

Those brown 'liguels' if you may are normal in the 2nd photo. 

hi James! So sorry. I thought nobody had responded to this post. 

I actually used to wet the inside of the crown! I had stopped doing that about a month ago! Below are some more photos, if you wouldn't mind taking a look. 

Also what exactly is a liguel?

33 minutes ago, Coasta said:

I actually used to wet the inside of the crown

It's good you stopped. Constant moisture in the growing point will lead to problems down the road. Probably wouldn't hurt to treat the center spear and bud with peroxide

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, DAVEinMB said:

It's good you stopped. Constant moisture in the growing point will lead to problems down the road. Probably wouldn't hurt to treat the center spear and bud with peroxide

Thanks Dave! Would you recommend just pouring a little peroxide in the bud? This won't damage anything correct? 

@Coasta no problem at all! Yes sir, just dump some down into the crown and listen for the fizz. You can repeat every day or every other day for a week or so or until you don't hear the peroxide reacting in the crown. It's really hard to over apply so no worries there. Your best bet is to apply early on in the day so the sun has a chance to dry the crown out before nightfall. 3% is the one you're looking for :shaka-2:

• Like 1