IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Attractive Dypsis utilis inflorescence

Charlie Beck

7 hours ago, Charlie Beck said:

1489586236_Dypsisutilisinflorescence.jpg.319e804235a1cc47d1fffdf9b2dbdfc3.jpg    Seven year old Dypsis utilis blooming for the first time in Palm Beach County, Florida.

Just out of curiosity when you say 7 year old, is that 7 years from seed to pushing out this inflorescence?  If you can post a follow up of the entire plant I would be interested in seeing it's overall size.    I'm not growing Dypsis utilis, but I do have a Dypsis crinita which is sort of within the same grouping of clumping Dypsis, so my curiosity stems from wondering when mine might start pushing out inflorescence.  The petiole's of mine come off the trunks somewhere between 3'4' with overall height of the plant in the 7' range.

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

51 minutes ago, Tracy said:

Just out of curiosity when you say 7 year old, is that 7 years from seed to pushing out this inflorescence?  If you can post a follow up of the entire plant I would be interested in seeing it's overall size.    I'm not growing Dypsis utilis, but I do have a Dypsis crinita which is sort of within the same grouping of clumping Dypsis, so my curiosity stems from wondering when mine might start pushing out inflorescence.  The petiole's of mine come off the trunks somewhere between 3'4' with overall height of the plant in the 7' range.

Tracy, I would bet yours was mislabeled and is most likely Fibrosa. True Crinita is a challenging palm here in SoCal. I know a few sellers had Crinita that were really Fibrosa. Just a hunch, happy to be wrong. :)

• Upvote 1

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

@Charlie Beck whatever your palm turns out to be, it's awesome!

Keep us apprized of progress of seeds, if any, so we can fire up our cigars . . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

19 hours ago, LJG said:

Tracy, I would bet yours was mislabeled and is most likely Fibrosa. True Crinita is a challenging palm here in SoCal. I know a few sellers had Crinita that were really Fibrosa. Just a hunch, happy to be wrong. :)

When it flowers I will make sure to post so I can get a correct ID.  When my son's gave me a gift card for labels for some of my plants a few years back, I misspelled crinita as crinata, so it won't be a bad thing if I have to get a new tag that says fibrosa.  I am a little surprised that anyone could have a Dypsis for sale and have the name wrong though :floor: ,  well not really.  Thanks for the tip though.  This has been a relatively easy grow, so if Dypsis crinita is tough to grow here and Dypsis fibrosa is relatively easy,  that is a big indicator as you pointed out.

• Like 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

On 7/19/2020 at 2:53 PM, Tracy said:

This palm was planted from a 3 gallon container 7 years ago.

dypsis utilis.JPG

• Like 3