Sign in to follow this  
Charlie Beck

Attractive Dypsis utilis inflorescence

Charlie Beck

1489586236_Dypsisutilisinflorescence.jpg.319e804235a1cc47d1fffdf9b2dbdfc3.jpg    Seven year old Dypsis utilis blooming for the first time in Palm Beach County, Florida.

• Like 9
  • Upvote 3

Tracy
7 hours ago, Charlie Beck said:

1489586236_Dypsisutilisinflorescence.jpg.319e804235a1cc47d1fffdf9b2dbdfc3.jpg    Seven year old Dypsis utilis blooming for the first time in Palm Beach County, Florida.

Just out of curiosity when you say 7 year old, is that 7 years from seed to pushing out this inflorescence?  If you can post a follow up of the entire plant I would be interested in seeing it's overall size.    I'm not growing Dypsis utilis, but I do have a Dypsis crinita which is sort of within the same grouping of clumping Dypsis, so my curiosity stems from wondering when mine might start pushing out inflorescence.  The petiole's of mine come off the trunks somewhere between 3'4' with overall height of the plant in the 7' range.

LJG
51 minutes ago, Tracy said:

Just out of curiosity when you say 7 year old, is that 7 years from seed to pushing out this inflorescence?  If you can post a follow up of the entire plant I would be interested in seeing it's overall size.    I'm not growing Dypsis utilis, but I do have a Dypsis crinita which is sort of within the same grouping of clumping Dypsis, so my curiosity stems from wondering when mine might start pushing out inflorescence.  The petiole's of mine come off the trunks somewhere between 3'4' with overall height of the plant in the 7' range.

Tracy, I would bet yours was mislabeled and is most likely Fibrosa. True Crinita is a challenging palm here in SoCal. I know a few sellers had Crinita that were really Fibrosa. Just a hunch, happy to be wrong. :)

• Upvote 1

DoomsDave

@Charlie Beck whatever your palm turns out to be, it's awesome!

Keep us apprized of progress of seeds, if any, so we can fire up our cigars . . . .

Tracy
19 hours ago, LJG said:

Tracy, I would bet yours was mislabeled and is most likely Fibrosa. True Crinita is a challenging palm here in SoCal. I know a few sellers had Crinita that were really Fibrosa. Just a hunch, happy to be wrong. :)

When it flowers I will make sure to post so I can get a correct ID.  When my son's gave me a gift card for labels for some of my plants a few years back, I misspelled crinita as crinata, so it won't be a bad thing if I have to get a new tag that says fibrosa.  I am a little surprised that anyone could have a Dypsis for sale and have the name wrong though :floor: ,  well not really.  Thanks for the tip though.  This has been a relatively easy grow, so if Dypsis crinita is tough to grow here and Dypsis fibrosa is relatively easy,  that is a big indicator as you pointed out.

• Like 1

Charlie Beck
On 7/19/2020 at 2:53 PM, Tracy said:

This palm was planted from a 3 gallon container 7 years ago.

dypsis utilis.JPG

• Like 3