Sign in to follow this  
Meangreen94z

Padre Island South of Corpus Christi, Texas

Meangreen94z

A few photos I snapped today. Maybe more tomorrow. This is the Northern section of the 113 mile long barrier Island. Not to be confused with “South Padre Island”(although very similar climates).
280px-Map_Padre_Island_towns.gif

file.php?id=71089file.php?id=71085file.php?id=71084file.php?id=71083file.php?id=71082file.php?id=71081file.php?id=71080file.php?id=71079file.php?id=71078file.php?id=71076 

• Like 14

TexasColdHardyPalms

Does anyone else shudder when they see green bismarckia??

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Meangreen94z
45 minutes ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

It might have been the light/angle. I think all of the ones I saw were varying degrees of blue/silver.  Pretty much every yard had one or more of: Phoenix, Bismarckia, Butia, Queens, Royals, Triangles, Foxtails, Sabals, Brahea, Livistona, etc. Nothing too exotic that I saw although there are Coconuts, Pachypodium, Beaucarnea, etc in the ground in this area, so a lot of potential. I’m sure there’s some great stuff hidden away.

• Like 3

DoomsDave

The good people of Padre Island have seen the light!

(Swell of organ music, sorpranos in harmony)

Praise!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

palmfriend

Hi,

another very interesting thread about Texas! First the one about the RGV and now this one, too!

It is an excellent way to get an image/idea about those areas - the map at the beginning was perfect!

If you have more - please keep it coming.

best regards from Okinawa

Lars

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

TexasColdHardyPalms

@Meangreen94z post those brahea pics!!!

DoomsDave

@Meangreen94z, make us all scream!

Meangreen94z

A front yard full of Papaya trees wasn’t enough?:D Hopefully I will have enough time leftover tomorrow to take more.

DoomsDave

Have to tell my Padre Island story one of these days. . . .

Jeff985
51 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

Have to tell my Padre Island story one of these days. . . .

Waiting for the statute of limitations to expire?

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Xenon
7 hours ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

Nooo, a pure lime-green Bismarckia is like a poor man's Corypha.  Not a fan of the blue/grey-green color though, gotta be one extreme or the other. 

Xenon

You should go visit John Purcell's (Mr. Coconut Palm) coconut palms @ Douden Park! 

Edited by Xenon

necturus

Wow, that is a lot of papaya. We have a weak HOA, but I don't think my neighbors would let me get away with that, haha. Any idea what the ground cover is? 

Meangreen94z

file.php?id=71105file.php?id=71104file.php?id=71103file.php?id=71102file.php?id=71101file.php?id=71100file.php?id=71099file.php?id=71098file.php?id=71097file.php?id=71096file.php?id=71095file.php?id=71094file.php?id=71118file.php?id=71116file.php?id=71115file.php?id=71114file.php?id=71113file.php?id=71112file.php?id=71111file.php?id=71110file.php?id=71109file.php?id=71108file.php?id=71107file.php?id=71106

• Like 5

ahosey01

Is this the neighborhood across the causeway from flour bluff?

• Upvote 1

Meangreen94z

The large lots with grass were mostly in Flour Bluff,  the smaller lots with rock and the small Cocos Nucifera were across the bay in Padre Island. Some directly across, some slightly south.

TexasColdHardyPalms

That's a nice mazari. I dont remember seeing a mazari down there.  That little botanical garden doesnt have much at all. 

Xenon

The TAMU Corpus Christi campus has a lot of cool stuff too. Probably the biggest Ficus in the area 

Meangreen94z

That area was mostly newer homes, so nothing too huge yet. A lot of the palms were a repeat over, and over, but there was the occasional unique item. I could see when crossing neighborhood bridges and looking up the canals people kept a lot of the better stuff for their backyards.
     Those Coconuts at “Douden Park” were in the perfect microclimate. A park surrounded by concrete and tightly packed homes which were then surrounded by water on all sides. If the trend continues they may last a while.

EC8DFEB9-7330-4A7E-A561-322AF2BE5A8D.png

1347A849-46E6-4722-B0FC-7C2F7370C83E.png

• Like 3

Mr. Coconut Palm

Daniel, 

Thanks for a Great thread on Padre Island here.  You REALLY did justice to the Island.  More so than I have ever done.   If you are still in town for a day or two, you should come by and see my place in Flour Bluff, and see one of only 2 that I know of flowering Coconut Palms in Corpus Christi!!!  I will send you a message with my address and phone number.

John

• Like 3

Meangreen94z

Thank you for the invite John.

WaianaeCrider
16 hours ago, necturus said:

Wow, that is a lot of papaya. We have a weak HOA, but I don't think my neighbors would let me get away with that, haha. Any idea what the ground cover is? 

One reason I'd NEVER live anyplace w/an HOA.   But what could the complaint about Papaya trees be?  Someone against fruit?

Mr. Coconut Palm
7 hours ago, Meangreen94z said:

Thank you for the invite John.

You are welcome, Daniel.