IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Padre Island South of Corpus Christi, Texas

Meangreen94z

A few photos I snapped today. Maybe more tomorrow. This is the Northern section of the 113 mile long barrier Island. Not to be confused with “South Padre Island”(although very similar climates).
280px-Map_Padre_Island_towns.gif

file.php?id=71089file.php?id=71085file.php?id=71084file.php?id=71083file.php?id=71082file.php?id=71081file.php?id=71080file.php?id=71079file.php?id=71078file.php?id=71076 

• Like 14

45 minutes ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

Does anyone else shudder when they see green bismarckia??

It might have been the light/angle. I think all of the ones I saw were varying degrees of blue/silver.  Pretty much every yard had one or more of: Phoenix, Bismarckia, Butia, Queens, Royals, Triangles, Foxtails, Sabals, Brahea, Livistona, etc. Nothing too exotic that I saw although there are Coconuts, Pachypodium, Beaucarnea, etc in the ground in this area, so a lot of potential. I’m sure there’s some great stuff hidden away.

• Like 3

The good people of Padre Island have seen the light!

(Swell of organ music, sorpranos in harmony)

Praise!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Hi,

another very interesting thread about Texas! First the one about the RGV and now this one, too!

It is an excellent way to get an image/idea about those areas - the map at the beginning was perfect!

If you have more - please keep it coming.

best regards from Okinawa

Lars

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

@Meangreen94z, make us all scream!

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

A front yard full of Papaya trees wasn’t enough?:D Hopefully I will have enough time leftover tomorrow to take more.

Have to tell my Padre Island story one of these days. . . .

51 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

Have to tell my Padre Island story one of these days. . . .

Waiting for the statute of limitations to expire?

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

Does anyone else shudder when they see green bismarckia??

Nooo, a pure lime-green Bismarckia is like a poor man's Corypha.  Not a fan of the blue/grey-green color though, gotta be one extreme or the other. 

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

You should go visit John Purcell's (Mr. Coconut Palm) coconut palms @ Douden Park! 

Edited by Xenon

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

Wow, that is a lot of papaya. We have a weak HOA, but I don't think my neighbors would let me get away with that, haha. Any idea what the ground cover is? 

The large lots with grass were mostly in Flour Bluff,  the smaller lots with rock and the small Cocos Nucifera were across the bay in Padre Island. Some directly across, some slightly south.

That's a nice mazari. I dont remember seeing a mazari down there.  That little botanical garden doesnt have much at all. 

The TAMU Corpus Christi campus has a lot of cool stuff too. Probably the biggest Ficus in the area 

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

That area was mostly newer homes, so nothing too huge yet. A lot of the palms were a repeat over, and over, but there was the occasional unique item. I could see when crossing neighborhood bridges and looking up the canals people kept a lot of the better stuff for their backyards.
     Those Coconuts at “Douden Park” were in the perfect microclimate. A park surrounded by concrete and tightly packed homes which were then surrounded by water on all sides. If the trend continues they may last a while.

EC8DFEB9-7330-4A7E-A561-322AF2BE5A8D.png

1347A849-46E6-4722-B0FC-7C2F7370C83E.png

• Like 3

Daniel, 

Thanks for a Great thread on Padre Island here.  You REALLY did justice to the Island.  More so than I have ever done.   If you are still in town for a day or two, you should come by and see my place in Flour Bluff, and see one of only 2 that I know of flowering Coconut Palms in Corpus Christi!!!  I will send you a message with my address and phone number.

John

• Like 3

16 hours ago, necturus said:

Wow, that is a lot of papaya. We have a weak HOA, but I don't think my neighbors would let me get away with that, haha. Any idea what the ground cover is? 

One reason I'd NEVER live anyplace w/an HOA.   But what could the complaint about Papaya trees be?  Someone against fruit?

Steve

Born in the Bronx

Raised in Brooklyn

Matured In Wai`anae

I can't be held responsible for anything I say or do....LOL

7 hours ago, Meangreen94z said:

Thank you for the invite John.

You are welcome, Daniel.

• 9 months later...

Living on Padre Island, I can say things aren’t looking so lovely after the “St. Valentines Day Epic Ice Storm of 2021”. I don’t know anyone whose fruit trees have survived or whose Queen palms aren’t being mourned. But once we clear out our last 11 dead trees, we’ll get to re-planting.

What a great set of photos you have here!

Edited by Fisherking
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Fisherking said:

Living on Padre Island, I can say things aren’t looking so lovely after the “St. Valentines Day Epic Ice Storm of 2021”. I don’t know anyone whose fruit trees have survived or whose Queen palms aren’t being mourned. But once we clear out our last 11 dead trees, we’ll get to re-planting.

What a great set of photos you have here!

Welcome to the forum! This is an awesome thread that I seem to have missed the first time around, or maybe I just forgot about it.  I have been very impressed by the tropicals I've seen on N Padre, and adjacent areas of Corpus, not just what is surviving, but the size also, indicating that mid to long term success can be had.  Of course this freeze obliterated everything tender and even some fairly hardy stuff like queens and bizzies, it's hard to believe.  I still think that some of the queens and bismarcks must come back, it wasn't THAT cold.  They survived 18 degrees in Houston a few years ago and there is another thread on here showcasing a queen that survived colder than that after this event.  Hopefully a lot of the other tender stuff on the island will at least come back from the base, plumaria, sea grape, etc.  and the place will be looking more tropical again within a couple years.  It's really disheartening to see a place on the coast, below 28 degrees latitude get blasted all the way down to looking worse than, say, South Carolina as far as tropicals.

As far as fruit trees, I would not count citrus trees out at all, I think many of them will rebound and have probably started already.  I can't wait to observe the recovery in person.  Wife and I recently bought a house on the east end of Corpus near the water and will be moving down shortly, actually wife and a couple of the kids are leaving this week.  We're escaping Ohio.  The only plus for me for the timing of this freeze is that it happened right before we got there, and not like a year after, after I had planted all kinds of stuff.

• Like 1

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.