IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Royal palm yellowing

Coasta

Hello all, just confirming that the yellowing of the left frond and the new one coming out is due to the arizona heat we have been having and there is nothing I can do to prevent this besides putting shade cloth? 

What is alarming me is the new frond that hasn't come completely out is starting to yellow. I have been fertilizing it with arizons best palms and I do feed it managnese once a month. Could this be because I am over doing it on fertilizers? 

Thank you in advanced. 

20200717_144002.jpg

20200717_143958.jpg

20200717_143254.jpg

10 minutes ago, Coasta said:

Hello all, just confirming that the yellowing of the left frond and the new one coming out is due to the arizona heat we have been having and there is nothing I can do to prevent this besides putting shade cloth? 

What is alarming me is the new frond that hasn't come completely out is starting to yellow. I have been fertilizing it with arizons best palms and I do feed it managnese once a month. Could this be because I am over doing it on fertilizers? 

Thank you in advanced. 

20200717_144002.jpg

20200717_143958.jpg

20200717_143254.jpg

Yep, that is from this recent heat spell.. While these fronds will stay a little crispy, newer ones will look better, esp. once we start seeing rain ( hopefully within the next week ) Just keep it watered. As far as Fertilizing, i don't think what you're using should hurt it ( Very familiar w/ that product ) but a lot of stuff won't use much of it right now, due to slowed growth during  extreme heat. Once the rains come, and temps get knocked back a little more, growth will pick up again. What food is down around it will be there for new roots to enjoy.

You think your Royal looks a little toasty atm, was at our local Blue Big Box yesterday.. All i can say is a lot of the trees/ palms in their nursery look real' bad.. Lots of totally fried Queens, etc. They were pulling pallets worth of stock off the floor while i was there.

• Like 3

No. If they did well here,they would be sold in the big box stores.They are not... If you want to grow exotic palms in the Arizona desert,you are going to have to learn to live with some fried fronds over the summer.Once we get our first rain in over 3 months,things will look a little better.(my royal palms in full sun look way worse than yours and they've been there 20 years)

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

15950336878042697324813685053190.jpg

• Like 5

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

Fingers crossed for next weekend.We are already 3 weeks late from average first monsoon rain of the year.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

• Like 2

Mesa, Arizona

Ok Arizona folks, I’m so curious...have you literally had no rain in the month of July so far?

• Like 1

Just now, NickJames said:

Ok Arizona folks, I’m so curious...have you literally had no rain in the month of July so far?

There hasn't been one drop in the valley. Back i believe in June there was one day where there was a light drizzle by me here in mesa lol. My poor royal. 

3 minutes ago, NickJames said:

July??? We haven't had a single drop of rain recorded in Phoenix since April 11th or 12th...  :(

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

• Like 1

Mesa, Arizona

2 minutes ago, NickJames said:

80 days w/ out measurable rain in Phoenix. About the same on my side of town. "Sprinkles/ quick shower that only wets the ground doesn't count as " Rain " here. 
Tucson is the only city in the state that has received rain so far this summer ...Aand not much, except in a few neighborhoods so far.

That's Arizona ( Aka,: Arid-Zona ) for you, lol.

Wow. Climate is amazing isn’t it? To think we are growing royal palms in totally different places.  

I’ve had 5.21 inches so far in July and we had about 12 inches in June. This was after an EXTREMELY hot/dry spring, so we actually have a lot of “catching up” to do, though you probably laugh at that statement. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, NickJames said:

Wow. Climate is amazing isn’t it? To think we are growing royal palms in totally different places.  

I’ve had 5.21 inches so far in July and we had about 12 inches in June. This was after an EXTREMELY hot/dry spring, so we actually have a lot of “catching up” to do, though you probably laugh at that statement. 

Yes!! Totally opposite of the spectrum. What part of Florida are you in? 

1 hour ago, Coasta said:

Yes!! Totally opposite of the spectrum. What part of Florida are you in? 

I’m in Daytona Beach. I live in the city limits but literally as far west as you can go. I live in a new community on Tiger Bay State Forest so I have A LOT of water to my southwest. I get extreme radiational cooling in winter at the moment since I’m only one of three homes on my street, but I imagine that will taper off as more homes are constructed and more heat is generated. 

9A3FE1E7-7FAC-4CBF-8139-774BC30458F5.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, NickJames said:

I’m in Daytona Beach. I live in the city limits but literally as far west as you can go. I live in a new community on Tiger Bay State Forest so I have A LOT of water to my southwest. I get extreme radiational cooling in winter at the moment since I’m only one of three homes on my street, but I imagine that will taper off as more homes are constructed and more heat is generated. 

9A3FE1E7-7FAC-4CBF-8139-774BC30458F5.jpeg

Thats wonderful!! Florida has a lot of options for palms from what I have seen online. I hope to one day visit again! I am sure when more homes are built that will help with the warmth too! 

Speaking of warmth...10:18 pm and it's still 103F.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

IMG_20200719_221955076.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Mesa, Arizona

19 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

80 days w/ out measurable rain in Phoenix. About the same on my side of town. "Sprinkles/ quick shower that only wets the ground doesn't count as " Rain " here. 
Tucson is the only city in the state that has received rain so far this summer ...Aand not much, except in a few neighborhoods so far.

That's Arizona ( Aka,: Arid-Zona ) for you, lol.

19 hours ago, aztropic said:

July??? We haven't had a single drop of rain recorded in Phoenix since April 11th or 12th...  :(

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

I remember the rain falling in black sheets from clouds but the rain evaporated before it hit the ground.  We have had 60 day with no rain in florida springtime in years past.  But its not the days without rain, its the dry heat that makes it tough.  110F/6% RH is something that NEVER happens in florida.  We rarely get below 30% RH, let alone 5-10% RH for a month at a time.   If we do hit 90F the humidity is always 40% or higher.  Dry climates mean lots of leaf transpiration losses, dessication.  Some palms are adaptable to that weather, many are not.

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

9 hours ago, sonoranfans said:

I remember the rain falling in black sheets from clouds but the rain evaporated before it hit the ground.  We have had 60 day with no rain in florida springtime in years past.  But its not the days without rain, its the dry heat that makes it tough.  110F/6% RH is something that NEVER happens in florida.  We rarely get below 30% RH, let alone 5-10% RH for a month at a time.   If we do hit 90F the humidity is always 40% or higher.  Dry climates mean lots of leaf transpiration losses, dessication.  Some palms are adaptable to that weather, many are not.

I think the lowest I got this past winter was 38% RH after the driest cold front. And that was 58 degrees out. 

6 hours ago, NickJames said:

I think the lowest I got this past winter was 38% RH after the driest cold front. And that was 58 degrees out. 

And that was 58 degrees.  I lived with 110F and 6% for ten years, it would just shrivel up many palms I tried out there.  Sunlight is also hotter in the desert.  With low humidity atmosphere the light that water absorbs in the atmosphere is minimal so plants and their water are heated all the more, thus making a perfect storm of dessication.  Shade netting was very useful starting out small(5 gallon size) palms.

• Like 1

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

2 hours ago, sonoranfans said:

And that was 58 degrees.  I lived with 110F and 6% for ten years, it would just shrivel up many palms I tried out there.  Sunlight is also hotter in the desert.  With low humidity atmosphere the light that water absorbs in the atmosphere is minimal so plants and their water are heated all the more, thus making a perfect storm of dessication.  Shade netting was very useful starting out small(5 gallon size) palms.

I can’t even imagine. My spring was so dry and hot, everything got toasted from just 90 degrees at 45% humidity. 

So I supposed it is too hot to put 2 gallons of Royal in the ground in this hot dry Yuma AZ temperature. They are under 70% shade fabric, I learn that I need to increase water to the pot since they like web feet. We may not even has any rain as like last summer until September. How much water Royal needs a day? I am thinking about 1/2 to 1 gallon of water. per pot. I have these for more than a six months from Palm Meet at San Diego. They are not growing but they are not decline neither.     

IMG_20200722_113923.jpg

• Like 1

US Southwest Zone 10A

5 hours ago, Padraic said:

So I supposed it is too hot to put 2 gallons of Royal in the ground in this hot dry Yuma AZ temperature. They are under 70% shade fabric, I learn that I need to increase water to the pot since they like web feet. We may not even has any rain as like last summer until September. How much water Royal needs a day? I am thinking about 1/2 to 1 gallon of water. per pot. I have these for more than a six months from Palm Meet at San Diego. They are not growing but they are not decline neither.     

IMG_20200722_113923.jpg

Hi there Padriac! Nice to meet you and congrats on your royal palm. :). I am not an expert in regards to planting in the middle of the summer so I am unsure of that. I will say that royals always want to be wet as they can grow by swamps. From the looks of it your palm doesn't look like it has any burn. Has that middle spear grown at all over time, or is this how it was when you got it? If it's been super slow, I am thinking that it might be too shady for the royal and something like a 50 percent shade would work better. I would also keep a close eye on it to make sure it isn't getting burned.  When you do decide to plant it, i qould try to find an Eastern exposure where it gets protection and shade during the later part of the day. I am here in mesa Az, and that is what I did. 

Coasta, thanks for the input. I following your post on your "Royal" experience. That help me a lot with the same desert environment. I am not sure the new spear grow rate,  try to find old photo of it. It seem the spear has grown but very slowly.  After reading all the posts here and everywhere. I didn't give enough water and it is in a pot. Like other two smaller one, they stay alive and no decline. Part of it is my fault of being busy and lack of attention and research. 

Now I know, they like water (wet feet), clay soil side and sun (but not too much in our AZ desert), it is consider rare in the desert unlike Mexican palm which is super easy here.

Below is a picture of Royal in Hong Kong island main road. They thrived in Southeast Asia like Mexican palm in Yuma.

PS. Hong Kong weather is sub-tropical. 93 - 45 F and 60-100% humidity. 

IMG_20191127_150332.thumb.jpg.00f6929206072e9d0508a7df5ee8c791.jpg

• Like 2

US Southwest Zone 10A

On 7/24/2020 at 10:48 PM, Coasta said:

Hi there Padriac! Nice to meet you and congrats on your royal palm. :). I am not an expert in regards to planting in the middle of the summer so I am unsure of that. I will say that royals always want to be wet as they can grow by swamps. From the looks of it your palm doesn't look like it has any burn. Has that middle spear grown at all over time, or is this how it was when you got it? If it's been super slow, I am thinking that it might be too shady for the royal and something like a 50 percent shade would work better. I would also keep a close eye on it to make sure it isn't getting burned.  When you do decide to plant it, i qould try to find an Eastern exposure where it gets protection and shade during the later part of the day. I am here in mesa Az, and that is what I did. 

After I increase water for a few days, the center spear showing action and spreading out. I water it 3 times a day instead of 1 time. It responding well in the pot under a 75% shade cloth.

• Like 2

US Southwest Zone 10A

On 7/25/2020 at 11:37 AM, Padraic said:

Coasta, thanks for the input. I following your post on your "Royal" experience. That help me a lot with the same desert environment. I am not sure the new spear grow rate,  try to find old photo of it. It seem the spear has grown but very slowly.  After reading all the posts here and everywhere. I didn't give enough water and it is in a pot. Like other two smaller one, they stay alive and no decline. Part of it is my fault of being busy and lack of attention and research. 

Now I know, they like water (wet feet), clay soil side and sun (but not too much in our AZ desert), it is consider rare in the desert unlike Mexican palm which is super easy here.

Below is a picture of Royal in Hong Kong island main road. They thrived in Southeast Asia like Mexican palm in Yuma.

PS. Hong Kong weather is sub-tropical. 93 - 45 F and 60-100% humidity. 

IMG_20191127_150332.thumb.jpg.00f6929206072e9d0508a7df5ee8c791.jpg

Hi Padraic! Those palms are beautiful in Hong Kong!!! I didnt know palm trees grew there :). Oh good!!! I am glad my experience has been able to help you in a small way. Its definitely unique to have a royal in our desert. They definitely survive here as i have seen a few mature ones here in the Phoenix area! That's wonderful your spear is starting to grow! What I do with my new spears is I put a sharpie on the spear and the frond next to it to track the growth of it per day. That might help yoy determine how fast the spear is growing. Also what kind of soil do you have for the royal? 

8 hours ago, Padraic said:

After I increase water for a few days, the center spear showing action and spreading out. I water it 3 times a day instead of 1 time. It responding well in the pot under a 75% shade cloth.

I am so excited for you!!

• Like 1

Coasta, sharpie sound like a good idea. The soil is what it was from the San Diego Palm meetup. There is some Perlite in it. Don't feel heavy but hold water pretty good since there is not much run off for 1/4 gallon each time. I will move them slowly into the sun from shade after this dry hot period.  Then planted in the fall. Since Royal can get big when successful. Pondering where with the most shade take some thinking and compromise. 

• Like 1

US Southwest Zone 10A

32 minutes ago, Padraic said:

Coasta, sharpie sound like a good idea. The soil is what it was from the San Diego Palm meetup. There is some Perlite in it. Don't feel heavy but hold water pretty good since there is not much run off for 1/4 gallon each time. I will move them slowly into the sun from shade after this dry hot period.  Then planted in the fall. Since Royal can get big when successful. Pondering where with the most shade take some thinking and compromise. 

I would try to check out where on your property do you receive afternoon shade. I have mine planted on the eastern side of my house inbetween two homes so it gets sun and then I start to get some shade around 3pn. I wish it was a little earlier but oh well! It was the best spot in my yard. :)

On 7/19/2020 at 10:27 PM, aztropic said:

Speaking of warmth...10:18 pm and it's still 103F.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

IMG_20200719_221955076.jpg

When our morning low is only 90F - this is why palm fronds turn yellow... It's officially HOT!

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

IMG_20200727_034513289.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Mesa, Arizona

2 hours ago, aztropic said:

When our morning low is only 90F - this is why palm fronds turn yellow... It's officially HOT!

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

Yep, Just when you thought the worst of the heat was behind us.. :rant: and, as you can see, Say goodbye to any more moisture, even beyond the 1st.. For the "Peak" of Monsoon Season, big flip in the forecast, and its looking very bad.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NickJames said:

Meanwhile it just rained 2 inches at my house. 

Your lucky!!! I miss the rain :(. I bet your royals are super happy. 

13 hours ago, aztropic said:

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

I feel the pain Aztropic! I hope there is a turn around of weather.. but highly unlikely! When will royals stop growing for the season?

• Like 1

Usually around thanksgiving,the heat loving palms have stopped growing and the cool loving palms are just starting their growth cycles.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

• Like 2

Mesa, Arizona

28 minutes ago, aztropic said:

Usually around thanksgiving,the heat loving palms have stopped growing and the cool loving palms are just starting their growth cycles.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

Thats good to know!! Thank you Aztropic for the abundance of information. :)

On 7/26/2020 at 9:05 PM, Padraic said:

Coasta, sharpie sound like a good idea.

Coasta, here is a photo of the spear spread responding extra water since we chat. So it is a good sign. There are burns in the spear and I guess "normal" in the area. Turn out I have three Royal from the meetup. Two Borinquena and one Regia. Exited to see them grow and look better than they are.

How often you fertilized yours? 

1480480931_Spearspread20200728.thumb.jpg.9ccccd50b0a921eeafa77771854f1f75.jpg

• Like 1

US Southwest Zone 10A

4 minutes ago, Padraic said:

Coasta, here is a photo of the spear spread responding extra water since we chat. So it is a good sign. There are burns in the spear and I guess "normal" in the area. Turn out I have three Royal from the meetup. Two Borinquena and one Regia. Exited to see them grow and look better than they are.

How often you fertilized yours? 

1480480931_Spearspread20200728.thumb.jpg.9ccccd50b0a921eeafa77771854f1f75.jpg

Very cool!!! I usually fertlize with arizonas best palm fertlizier once a month during growing season. I wouldn't put too much fertlizer in the pot for now since its smaller. At least thats just my opinion and what I do for my potted palms. Get ready for a hot week!! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Coasta said:

Get ready for a hot week!! 

That might be an understatement.. for BOTH Phoenix and Yuma.:blink::rant:  < add a "Censored" bar over this..

Anticipate several records will be broken by the middle of next week.. Can also stuff Monsoon 2020 in the bag -and torch it.. Current forecasts show no more significant rain chances thru the 13th of next month. If there are any, it will fall in the extreme southeastern corner of the state. Phoenix only saw .10" out of the storm the other day.. Normal, for July, is 1.02". August annual precip. is only 1".

Edited by Silas_Sancona
edit
  • Upvote 2

There is some bug invasion on my young Royal. Any experience to get rid of it. Insect spray etc?

WhiteSpore.thumb.png.ea2259da493df6461e3aec928d22aed8.png 

Edited by Padraic
  • Like 1

US Southwest Zone 10A