IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

"Lipstick Queen"....the Hybrid

Jeff Searle

This hybrid is growing at the house here in south Florida now for approximately 10 years or so. It has been truly a wonderful palm to watch over the years and is currently around 25' tall. It has been fast and extremely cold hardy, experiencing low 30's F back in 2010. People often ask, what is your favorite palm? By far, it's this hybrid.

20200311_080718.jpg

20200311_081005.jpg

20200311_080833.jpg

• Like 24
  • Upvote 4

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

My largest specimen in the ground has now been flowering for a couple of years or so. Two days ago I noticed these "potential" seeds that are holding, and looking like there might be a chance! First, these seeds need to get a little bit larger, then ripen up with color( what color ?) , then collect and inspect to see if they have an embryo.  Then if they look good to go, plant them and wait. And if by any chance some do germinate then it will take several years to see what they mature into. A very long, very low odds of this happening.

20200714_114429.jpg

20200714_114456.jpg

20200714_114441.jpg

• Like 10
  • Upvote 3

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

And to prove my excitement?!!! Its permanent......

20200602_124037.jpg

• Like 10
  • Upvote 3

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

My mom has one at her house in ave maria FL.  I planted it when I sold my house to move to Hawaii.  She is now selling her house and scared that the new owners won't know how to care for it. I also just had a small one get taken by a pig. I accept the fact that I will probably never find another but still hope your seed is viable  . 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, John hovancsek said:

My mom has one at her house in ave maria FL.  I planted it when I sold my house to move to Hawaii.  She is now selling her house and scared that the new owners won't know how to care for it. I also just had a small one get taken by a pig. I accept the fact that I will probably never find another but still hope your seed is viable . 

Thank you John.

• Upvote 1

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

I have 3 in the ground, nothing like yours yet. That's fantastic

• Upvote 1

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

May I ask what is the cross that produced this hybrid?

• Upvote 1

Andrei W. Konradi, Burlingame, California.  Vicarious appreciator of palms in other people's gardens and in habitat

it is agonizing waiting on Cyrto seeds to ripen, glad you know to sacrifice a few and look for an embryo before you get your hopes up about viability. would be revolutionary to get a palm like this into cultivation 

Edited by knell
  • Upvote 1

Knell, Jeff Searle sells this palm at his shows near Fort Lauderdale twice per year.  The sales span two consecutibe weekends in March and October.  I do not think he ships for retail purchases, but you could certainly double check.

There is also a small plant being sold on eBay, listed as "Cyrtostachys Hybrid".  It looks like the real deal to me based on the photo and comparing it to small plants I have grown and seen in the past.  The eBay palm is quite pricey though and as a result, has been listed for a good while.

I have no idea which Cyrtostachys species the parents of the hybrid are.  If I had to guess, (and this is just a shot in the dark) I would guess Cyrtostachys renda × Cyrtostachys elegans.  This is based on the morphology of the trunk, crownshaft and the look of the crown, which looks more like C. elegans to me in the Cyrtostachys Hybrid.

Post-6735-0-12570200-1421701147.thumb.jpg.ed2bd5e97cab77b58fd2a86a533d1ad3.jpg

https://www.palmpedia.net/wiki/Cyrtostachys_elegans

Of course, the vividly colored crownshaft and petiole color come from Cyrtostachys renda.

3296594733_6a09825f2az.jpg.48d067e75bcca0c4edcff5f687d4be4e.jpg

https://www.palmpedia.net/wiki/Cyrtostachys_renda

Again, this is just my best guess looking at the characteristics of C. renda and the other potential parents.  I have no actual inside knowledge as to the origins of the Cyrtostachys Hybrid.

• Like 3

Remarkable species, a ‘stop in your tracks’ palm.

Thanks for the post Jeff. 

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

That's a humdinger, Jeff.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

• 2 years later...

Did it produce viable seed in the end Jeff? I just got myself 2 little ones to try 🤞🏻

Fantastic palm! 

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

On 5/25/2023 at 10:02 AM, TropicalGardenSpain said:

Did it produce viable seed in the end Jeff? I just got myself 2 little ones to try 🤞🏻

Yes, this hybrid does produce viable seeds.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

On 5/27/2023 at 1:13 AM, Jeff Searle said:

Yes, this hybrid does produce viable seeds.

congratulations 👏🏼💪🏻

On 5/25/2023 at 10:02 AM, TropicalGardenSpain said:

Yes it does...

• Like 3

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/15/2020 at 1:45 PM, John hovancsek said:

My mom has one at her house in ave maria FL.  I planted it when I sold my house to move to Hawaii.  She is now selling her house and scared that the new owners won't know how to care for it. I also just had a small one get taken by a pig. I accept the fact that I will probably never find another but still hope your seed is viable  . 

John,

Dig the pigs get it?   Where did you get it.  Just discovered this palm is real.

Steve

Born in the Bronx

Raised in Brooklyn

Matured In Wai`anae

I can't be held responsible for anything I say or do....LOL

• 5 months later...
On 6/5/2023 at 11:46 PM, Jeff Searle said:

Yes it does...

Now the trick is to breed some with single trunks so I too can have one of these little miracles.  Get to it Jeff.

Peachy

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.