IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Recently planted (and dying?) Pygmy Date Palm

Eric618

Hi all,

This is my first post here. I bought my house a few years ago but just last year started planting and trying to transform the yard. I've had mixed success, with some things thriving and others... not so much. 

I planted a Pygmy Date Palm last week, and I'm starting to see the frond ends turning a dark brown. I think it's watered okay, but I don't know. Another one I planted about six weeks ago I thought died (it currently looks terrible), but also appears to becoming back... or at least hanging on. I don't want this one to meet that same fate. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? I'm in Phoenix, AZ. It's been super hot, and the soil is very dense and clay-like.   I did amend the soil with rich soil I got from Home Depot when I planted.  Please help!

Thank you all in advance!!

20200713_194602-picsay.jpg

20200713_194558-picsay.jpg

What have your temperatures been? I’m guessing that’s part of the problem. The best looking Roebeleniis I have seen have been in more moderate areas. And they do like water.

Hot.  Damn hot.  These past few weeks in the 110-115 range.  I'm trying to keep it well watered, but I've also been cautious because the soil is very clay-ish and drainage, while not awful, isn't great.  Thanks for your reply!

• Like 1

Pygmys can handle clay soil and a lot of water. They can also sunburn, especially when they’re used to shade in a nursery then moved into sun in the landscape. That’s probably what’s going on with yours. As it produces new foliage it will become more tolerant to full sun. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Jeff985 said:

Pygmys can handle clay soil and a lot of water. They can also sunburn, especially when they’re used to shade in a nursery then moved into sun in the landscape. That’s probably what’s going on with yours. As it produces new foliage it will become more tolerant to full sun. 

^^ Agree 100%.. While you will see some burn each year in our "furnace" they generally do fine otherwise  -provided lots of water, and fed regularly..  Neighbor has a nice clump in full sun.

• Like 1

Pygmy dates (Phoenix roebellini) are native to monsoonal areas of southeast asia (they probably average between 60-80 inches of rain annually).  This is not a palm from a desert oasis. In Phoenix, I would grow this only with some shading and supplemental watering.

• Like 1

I'm in Surprise just outside Phoenix, that's just heat and sun. Best time to plant here is in the fall. Gives the new plant some warmth and then time to acclimate before the next summer. I've been watering every other day right now, even with my established palms. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Thanks everyone!   They've been getting watered on irrigation every other morning.  I've also been supplemental watering them over the past few days (hose is dribbling on one as I type).   Like I said, the one from last month or so, under the dead fronds, is starting to look... okay.  I'm thinking this new one may take the same route, although I hope not because it's in an ornamental place and a dead looking one will be quite the eyesore.  

Thanks again!

few palms can stand 110-115F and low RH for long, this is not one of them.  Id go with bismarckia, brahea armata, phoenix dactylifera, and the washingtonias(filifera is tougher in heat), hyphaene sp.  Almost everything else needs some shade, dense plantings, or extra care in that heat.  I used to watch some of my palm species take the burn each year from may through when the monsoon hits and humidity rises as temps drop a bit.  If its still establishing roots, I'd put a net over it.  Looks like its near masonry too, that gives extra radiant heat not to be underestimated.  You know what its like to walk barefoot on masonry, that heat is upping the roast.

• Like 1

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

When my camera finishes up charging, i'll grab a few more shots of specimens in my neighborhood.. For now, here's an example of some from another neighborhood nearby.  Considering our heat/ low Humidity, these Look pretty good to me, esp. the larger one next to the house facing me further back ( w/ the Queens overhead ) Was concentrated on trying to figure out what  Pine sp. is growing in a yard to the right more than the Roebelenii ( can see only part of the Pine in this shot ) Ugly ---- Fountain Grass needs to be ripped out.. Horrible grass, imo.
1204032019_DSC07945(2).thumb.jpg.173635c6a1bdff988d80ee591429c516.jpg

• Like 1

From the Phoenix area as well,  best advice on here is to plant in the fall (Starting mid-late September).  It'll up your success rate, and then you can start to research (sun exposure, cold hardiness, soil type) what works best for your yard .  There is an Arizona thread on here full of great advise, make sure you find that too.    

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

When my camera finishes up charging, i'll grab a few more shots of specimens in my neighborhood.. For now, here's an example of some from another neighborhood nearby.  Considering our heat/ low Humidity, these Look pretty good to me, esp. the larger one next to the house facing me further back ( w/ the Queens overhead ) Was concentrated on trying to figure out what  Pine sp. is growing in a yard to the right more than the Roebelenii ( can see only part of the Pine in this shot ) Ugly ---- Fountain Grass needs to be ripped out.. Horrible grass, imo.
1204032019_DSC07945(2).thumb.jpg.173635c6a1bdff988d80ee591429c516.jpg

Little burned, need fed ..and more water but might be the biggest i have seen in the neighborhood.. likely planted large.. but handling the desert just fine.. Will grow out of the burn from our recent sizzle fest once it starts raining.
DSC08952.JPG.2c72efa5930ffca2b3c0828a745f0f6d.JPG

DSC08957.thumb.JPG.9434e21a3e7b2cabad8792100a84a0ae.JPG

On a side note, Looking around this area a bit more, Also found these Brahea..
DSC08954.thumb.JPG.5b34d8d84af59ff789b7b1b43c772201.JPG

DSC08956.thumb.JPG.0dbbd84b6d8273fd6fa68852228841b5.JPG

and that Yucca.. wow.
DSC08958.thumb.JPG.c7ba7920f0e37f76a52c459a45ca19c7.JPG

• Like 1

They're huge for Date Palms.  Wow!  I live on a golf course, and there are a few right at the entrance.  I don't think they've grown a foot in the few years I've lived here.