IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What does the LIKE button do?

Steve Mac

So before the new 'like' button, it was 'Rank' for participation or number of posts and 'Reputation' for 'Upvote' which was a 'Thanks' for your knowledge or effort in helping from someone in the thread. usually the OP (Original Poster, the thread starter).  It seems to be an extra step to thank someone for their knowledge or effort now and raise their Reputation for that help.  There are now more likes given than upvotes because it is easier.  Like is the easy default. Where do the 'Likes' go if not to reputation? (where I think that they were intended). They are going somewhere, I imagine they are worth something to someone. 

We know that rank or rep does not mean much, both can be manipulated, obviously. Disregarding that rare deliberate occurrence, (and it is meaningless anyway, right so who cares) even my modest undeserved rep is only due to a few generous people who thank people freely. Yes I am looking at @kinzyjr  @palmsOrl @Silas_Sancona  and a half a doz others, we know who you are. Some people are more disposed to saying "thank you" (upvote) and now like than others. To be fair some people may not know what the buttons do, like me. 

Where do those easy 'Like' presses go?

(posted this in a rarely visited sub-forum but then realised that it more likely will be seen here)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

38 minutes ago, gtsteve said:

Where do those easy 'Like' presses go?

They appear to go to reputation (same as upvote).  @PalmTreeDude and @RedRabbit were discussing this when the new forum came out here:

https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/59099-new-upgrade-infoquestions/

47 minutes ago, gtsteve said:

even my modest undeserved rep is only due to a few generous people who thank people freely. Yes I am looking at @kinzyjr  @palmsOrl @Silas_Sancona  and a half a doz others, we know who you are. Some people are more disposed to saying "thank you" (upvote) and now like than others. To be fair some people may not know what the buttons do, like me. 

I can only answer for myself in that my typical "upvote" is for knowledge sharing and "like" when someone posts some really nice photos, thanks me for sharing an opinion, shares an opinion I tend to agree with, or adds some humor to a thread.  If there is a new user, I'll often give them a like for joining and posting.

Guilty as charged - my predisposition is to say "thank you", and in this case, "you're welcome" as well. :)

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

Thank you for bringing this up and for clarifying this for everyone.

I'm embarrassed to say that I had been a bit confused by the distinction between the two (and even the fact that there was a distinction between the two until a few days ago when I finally figured it out, even then I wasn't sure until now).

All I knew is that I like to recognize posts that: I appreciate, agree with, enjoy reading or if they are by someone who has tended to help me, etc.  So to do so, I would click on the heart and would see the upvote option shoot up and would automatically then click the upvote.  In other words, I actually thought it was a two-step process, rather than there actually being two actual options for appreciating a comment.  But then I would at times notice the tally on the lower right hand corner of a comment with a separate tally of likes and upvotes and this would confuse me.  I guess I just didn't give it enough thought or maybe I am just dense.  I'm going to go with the latter.  Lol.

But it is kind of funny how I actually did just kind of figure it out a few days ago.  Regardless, thank you for addressing this Steve.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Yes, thanks gentlemen, I just tested it, both buttons do add to the Rep count, but you can't give both to the same post.

• Upvote 1

Cheers Steve

I treat them just like @kinzyjr Like for pics and thread content or just plain appreciation for what something someone had said. Up vote almost always gets used from when a learning moment happens for me or when I just absolutely agree with someones comment. Not sure if it even matters in the end haha just the way I approached it =) 

T J 

On 7/15/2020 at 10:34 AM, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

Not sure if it even matters in the end haha just the way I approached it =)

Yep, I know what you mean, But apparently it does not matter and that is a pity. It could be a bit more meaningful, I'm going to talk to the mod. 

Cheers Steve