IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Yellowy Triangle Palm

Palmaholic

Been getting great information on lots of palms for the last several months on the forum and finally decided to get some help with some palms that have been giving me problems.  First time posting so bear with me.  I am in southern California inland empire (Rancho Cucamonga) and I have had a triangle in the ground for approximately 8 years.  It has always grown great but has consistently looked more yellow than green.  I have it on 4 (2GPH) drippers 3 days per week for one hour each day.  My soil is very very well draining as it is basically a lot of rock and sand.  I use Peters excel 15-5-15 water soluble fertilizer once every 3 weeks to soil drench.  Any thoughts on why the color is so yellow would be very welcome.

Triangle 1.jpg

Triangle 2.jpg

You might need to switch to a slow-release granular fertilizer maybe the water soluble is leaching through your fast-draining soil and not being taken up by the palm also maybe seaweed or extra iron could help

Thanks for the suggestion.  Would the slow release granular fertilizer work with the low output drippers?  I was only using the water soluble fertilizer on all my palms because the entire area doesn't seem to get wet from the drippers.

If you wanted to stick with the Peter's 15-5-15 (that's what I use), you might try a fertilizer injector like the EZ-Flo. It allows you to set the rate of fertilization, and feeds directly into your drip lines. 

• Like 1

Dave

Riverside, CA Z 9b

1700 ft. elevation

approx 40 miles inland

Potasium, potasium, potasium.

And, might I add, POTASIUM.

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

Thanks for the great advice.  I will try to be more vigilant with the fertilizer and or switch to a granular slow release fertilizer and convert the drips to spot spitters which might be more effective with the granular fertilizer.