IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

How does my Silver Bismarckia look?

TCIJeff

I live in Providenciales, Turks and Caicos. Bought a large SB and had it delivered and planted three weeks ago. Some real nervous newbie questions.

First, some fronds have dirt - almost like a termite track - underneath (pictured)...thoughts?

Second, there is a almost linty, dusty material on the main frond stems (pictured). Is this normal? Should I rub it off?

Third, does this look like one might reasonably expect given the recent transplant (it was in a huge bag at the nursery, not pulled from the ground)? 

Appreciate any help, thoughts, guidance, etc.

F747CFAE-FF28-4181-BB34-258581EEE6F5.jpeg

A9E8C258-43D8-4BF6-847A-C7BC8E74DDA5.jpeg

700B3B0C-60D5-45E7-AD0A-C467BFA55188.jpeg

81C4BF3C-B1DA-4FE2-ACD4-6F9523D2FC45.jpeg

Edited by TCIJeff

I am not liking the dark organic soil vs surrounding soil.  Im going to guess that you get plenty of rain and that organic soil may be causing root rot.  There also appears to b a posible fungus on the leaf pictured, could be a result of root rot.  Bismarkias dont like rich soil, they like a good drainage and the roots need to dry cycle.  With that soil and your carribean climate I think part of your problem is the soil.  The appearance of your palm with all those unopened spears and the opened leaves falling away suggests its shut down its growth and that may be because its sick.  7 unopened spears is more than I ever saw.  ANd the way all opened leaves are laying down to the horizontal doesn't look right.  4 unopened spears is fine, I've had perectly happy, fast growing bizzies with 4 unopened spears.  Drainage of the rocky(?) site could also be an issue in a high rainfall area.  But Bismarckia grow in habitat in lateritic soil, little to no organic matter, low in nutrients, but it does drain well.  If you need a palm there and the drainage isnt good, I would work with another palm that is less sensitive to having the roots be constantly wet.

• Upvote 1

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

Thank you for the reply, Sonoranfans! 

Our soil is effectively rock with a hint of sand. Had guys drill wildly oversized holes, back filled with the soil the tree was grown in. I have no idea as to its drainage.

It has been real dry here so I have been watering pretty aggressively. That likely accounts for some degree of the difference in colour. I will back up on the water, but could 3 weeks of me being mildly overzealous create visible symptoms root rot?

Another thing to consider......did you and/or the people helping you plant this take extra precaution with regards to root disturbance?

Bismarkia’s are notorious for not doing well with root damage so you have to be extra careful.

But what’s done is done. All you can do now is your best to pull it through. Hopefully some more knowledgeable people on here can help you with trying to keep it alive.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TCIJeff said:

Thank you for the reply, Sonoranfans! 

Our soil is effectively rock with a hint of sand. Had guys drill wildly oversized holes, back filled with the soil the tree was grown in. I have no idea as to its drainage.

It has been real dry here so I have been watering pretty aggressively. That likely accounts for some degree of the difference in colour. I will back up on the water, but could 3 weeks of me being mildly overzealous create visible symptoms root rot?

bismarckia are not water lovers once every 4 days is more than enough for an established palm in a humid environment like the carribean.  If you kept it wet for 3 weeks, yep it could rot some roots.  I killed a couple, one in arizona and one in florida with too much water.  In arizona it go root rot in winter, I dug it up after it had spear pull, and the smell was awful.  In florida the weevils got it after it became sick from 21 consecutive days of rain plus a neighbors irrigation leak near the roots.

Tom Blank

3 hours ago, sonoranfans said:

I am not liking the dark organic soil vs surrounding soil.  Im going to guess that you get plenty of rain and that organic soil may be causing root rot.  There also appears to b a posible fungus on the leaf pictured, could be a result of root rot.  Bismarkias dont like rich soil, they like a good drainage and the roots need to dry cycle.  With that soil and your carribean climate I think part of your problem is the soil.  The appearance of your palm with all those unopened spears and the opened leaves falling away suggests its shut down its growth and that may be because its sick.  7 unopened spears is more than I ever saw.  ANd the way all opened leaves are laying down to the horizontal doesn't look right.  4 unopened spears is fine, I've had perectly happy, fast growing bizzies with 4 unopened spears.  Drainage of the rocky(?) site could also be an issue in a high rainfall area.  But Bismarckia grow in habitat in lateritic soil, little to no organic matter, low in nutrients, but it does drain well.  If you need a palm there and the drainage isnt good, I would work with another palm that is less sensitive to having the roots be constantly wet.

He did say he had it planted just three weeks ago.  I'm inclined to believe that it was already not opening spears at the nursery and that it's not a new habit formed since planting.  If it was bagged in that soil, it's not hard to imagine that the moisture would be challenged to evaporate out of the organic soil and out of the bag in a climate as humid as Turks and Caicos.  I think this explanation probably makes sense.

Since the nursery did the planting, do they offer any guarantees?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The brown dusty stuff is the frass from the leaf skeletonizer.

http://blogs.ifas.ufl.edu/monroeco/2008/08/12/palm-leaf-skeltonizer/

The fuzzy green/gray stuff on the petioles looks like lichen, encouraged from over zealous over head irrigation.

Bizzies will happily grow in organic or clay soils as long as it drains well or is planted very high.  If the rock is pourous limestone, there is a good chance that it drains well.  Dig down into the organic soil and see if it is water logged.  Smell the soil.  If it stinks, that is bad news.  Call the landscaper to lift the tree.  Or replace it.  Was it from a field nursery or did it come in a container?

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

I didnt read the part about being planted 3 weeks ago.  Was probably hating that container and there could be transplant shock.  My bizzes never get that brown crap all over their leaves.  drainage could still be an issue.

Tom Blank

If it is a drainage issue, looking at your first photo, you could probably dig a trench to the side and drain it down hill.

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

Bizzies will usually take all the water you can throw at them if soil drains well. Mine’s been in nearly constantly moist soil year round for 15 years and loves it. My soil is dark fertile loam 2 feet down them mostly clay. I’m in a cooler climate though so I would guess in a hotter climate, too much water would be even less an issue provided the soil drains properly. The most awesome Bismarck palms I’ve ever seen are growing in the very moist tropics. Amazing for a palm that’s also tolerant of drought. 

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

yes jim but you get pretty much get no rain there.  Florida and the carribean get wet, you have to turn irrigation OFF.  I agree I doubt you can over water a bizzie in low humidity and rain CA.

Tom Blank