IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What's your water bill like?

WaianaeCrider

Bill arrived today.  Time period 31 days. June + one day in July.  18,000 gallons =$96.56

Last bill was for 30 days also 18,000 same price.

This is for two people and 2 acres.

Steve

Born in the Bronx

Raised in Brooklyn

Matured In Wai`anae

I can't be held responsible for anything I say or do....LOL

its cool you know your consumption.

i have no water bill as i have a well and a pond that feeds my two multizone systems for my 5 acre garden

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The Palm Mahal

Hollywood Fla

37,000+ gallons in June= $238.00

• Like 1

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

Suburban Darwin we pay about $AU1.96 per kilo litre I ( 264 .2 US gallons.
So some quick conversion math..... ( cogs in the brain ticking over.... )
18,000 gallons US is 68.14 kilo litres @ $AU1.96 = $AU133.55 ( times 3 as in a quarterly bill is $AU400.65 )....plus supply charge = $AU75.35.....plus Domestic Sewerage = $AU205.40.
Total quarterly bill ( if you had this property on Town Water in Darwin would be $AU681.40.....hmmmm,  I don't feel quite so bad about my savage bill now.... ( a couple of hundred more than this hypothetical....lol !

• Like 1

I dont have a water bill because I have a well, but I do have a big electric bill from the pumps used to pump water. My monthly bill during the dry season is about $150-200 just for water. I do have a large garden ( 2 acres) and feel this amount is reasonable.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

I'm also on well water, and estimate about $35-50 per month in power bills to run the well.  That's only a guess though, since I don't have a separate watt-meter for the well breaker.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, WaianaeCrider said:

Bill arrived today.  Time period 31 days. June + one day in July.  18,000 gallons =$96.56

Last bill was for 30 days also 18,000 same price.

This is for two people and 2 acres.

Like $230 because I have to pay the sewer bill even though I have the same water price as you :blink:

• Upvote 1

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

5 hours ago, krishnaraoji88 said:

Like $230 because I have to pay the sewer bill even though I have the same water price as you :blink:

Yea if they ever forced me off my cess pool I'll probably have to let my palm rely on rain water and go back to cactus  LOL  This house has been here for over 60 years and the cess pool has never been pumped.  It drains like a champ.  Hmmmm it's about75 feet from my swamp loving Sabal.  Maybe some if that water is draining in that direction?

• Upvote 1

Steve

Born in the Bronx

Raised in Brooklyn

Matured In Wai`anae

My city water bill this month was $14.64 USD, but I have only watered a few root bound items in too small pots.

No need for an irrigation system where I live.

In the dry (well, less wet) season I water plants in pots so my water bill can reach $22.

I'd be glad to pay a bit more if they'd fix the pot holes on my street though.

• Like 2

Cindy Adair

I get two water bills every month.

One for the haus and another for the garden. (They're two small lots, side by side).  For the garden I get billed $99 Mexican pesos a month. Roughly $5 USD.

I only have the narrow garden sliver, the potted palms and the dragon fruit cacti.

I do expect the bill to be $6-$7 next month, since I am watering a tad bit more due to the extreme heat.

• Like 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

Had usage of 60, but 60 of what?

Emailed water company, 244 for last month. Asked 'em.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

$180 for water/sewer/irrigation/trash/Stormwater “fee” For my home  

My irrigation system is on reclaimed water so it’s a flat fee of I think $8 on the bill. 

The only usage based water I use for gardening is if I hand water from hose as it’s connected to normal water supply. 

13 minutes ago, NickJames said:

My irrigation system is on reclaimed water so it’s a flat fee of I think $8 on the bill. 

The only usage based water I use for gardening is if I hand water from hose as it’s connected to normal water supply. 

What;s a Stormwater fee?   Here on O`ahu there was talk about rain run off charge.  But I think the virus delay talk about it.

Steve

Born in the Bronx

Raised in Brooklyn

Matured In Wai`anae

37 minutes ago, WaianaeCrider said:

What;s a Stormwater fee?   Here on O`ahu there was talk about rain run off charge.  But I think the virus delay talk about it.

It’s something many Florida counties began doing in 2008/2009 following the recession. To make up revenue lost from ad valorem property tax assessments, they began assessing a flat “stormwater fee” on the utility bill or on the property tax bill.

In the old days, our general fund property tax line would’ve covered that. 

It sounds similar to what you referenced there. On the surface, it would seemingly cover the cost of managing the stormwater infrastructure needed to accommodate our rainfall. 

56 minutes ago, NickJames said:

It’s something many Florida counties began doing in 2008/2009 following the recession. To make up revenue lost from ad valorem property tax assessments, they began assessing a flat “stormwater fee” on the utility bill or on the property tax bill.

In the old days, our general fund property tax line would’ve covered that. 

It sounds similar to what you referenced there. On the surface, it would seemingly cover the cost of managing the stormwater infrastructure needed to accommodate our rainfall. 

I think here they were going to try to figure how much rain water flowed off your property and into the storm drains.  Not sure how that would affect me as I have a dry stream that flows like crazy after a big rain.  Also a few farm drain off their land onto mine and the "stream".

Steve

Born in the Bronx

Raised in Brooklyn

Matured In Wai`anae

I have 3 people in my home & a small/ young garden & i pay $50-65ish a month. 

Hesperia,Southern CA (High Desert area). Zone 8b

Elevation; about 3600 ft.

Lowest temp. I can expect each year 19/20*f lowest since I've been growing palms *13(2007) Hottest temp. Each year *106

I feel like these bills are reasonable. Florida is a “wet state” and yet our water bill goes up every 6 months. They are constantly increasing one of the many charges. We are pretty conservative with our water use and our average month is $150. We have an assessment of $500/year for garbage/storm water/fire.

2 separate meters - 1 house internal with sewer charge, 1 external with only water charge for sprinkler system. This was allowed for a time up until about 1979-1980. Then they stopped allowing it. It was supposed to save you money but I’m not sure if it really does.

Had a well put in because my bills together were over $200/month and sometimes close to 300. But the water has a high salt content so I only use it on the lawn.

Water base rate $18.08 + $3.76/1000 gallons up to 6000 then $7.21/1000 gallons up to 12k and higher for every 6000 step.

Sewer base rate $22.15 + $4.68/1000 gallons up to 12k maximum. No further charge to allow for single meter sprinkler use assuming that the average house didn’t use more than 12000 gallons internally.

3000-4000 gallons/average month house is $68-78.

8000 gallons outside/average month outside is $84.

Edited by Johnny Palmseed
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
11 minutes ago, 96720 said:

All you lucky people my water bills in summer are $2000 or more

Wooow! 

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

They’ve been servicing the Daytona Beach reclaimed water facility for several days so I couldn’t kick on my irrigation (I suppose the only downside of having the $6/month irrigation water bill).

Year-round average cost for water is about $100 US a month here in Sonora MX. More in summer less in winter.

I use alot more than most people here.

18 hours ago, 96720 said:

North Scottsdale for July and August was $600 per month.

Zero. Pepeekeo, east side of the Big Island. An average of 150 inches of rain that falls pretty evenly through out the year mostly at night. The 10,000 gallon catchment tank rarely goes below 90% full.

catchment.jpg

On 9/5/2020 at 7:36 PM, 96720 said:

You need to do a rain water capture and grey water system.

3 minutes ago, 96720 said:

There is no rain 

You could probably harvest at least 9000 gallons a year; which unfortunately does take up a lot of space.

I don't know what a grey water system would cost, but at $2000 a summer, its bound to be economical.

On 7/12/2020 at 11:35 PM, NickJames said:

Would you be allowed to add a hose bibb to use reclaimed water for gardening?

Here there's a huge reclaimed water pipe through my front lawn in the right of way by the street. It feeds the golf courses around the city and medians in roads but none of us residents are on it.

On 7/12/2020 at 2:37 AM, waykoolplantz said:

its cool you know your consumption.

i have no water bill as i have a well and a pond that feeds my two multizone systems for my 5 acre garden

I thought the pond was for your big Koi and Turtles?

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

12 hours ago, NOT A TA said:

Would you be allowed to add a hose bibb to use reclaimed water for gardening?

Here there's a huge reclaimed water pipe through my front lawn in the right of way by the street. It feeds the golf courses around the city and medians in roads but none of us residents are on it.

Per the city code, no....but I’m sure someone unscrupulous could easily configure it to do that.

My zone 4 is the drip line for the landscape beds and I can tell you that when I was redoing my backyard, I had to cut a section of of the drip hose (1/2 inch, basically same as garden hose) so I had a full opening on the end of it. I kicked on zone 4 just to see how it looked. It shot out with more force than my normal hose. So, you could definitely rig something up...if you pushed the boundaries.