IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

My Myolensis

The Gerg

Just thought I would share my Archontopheonix myolensis with you today. For some reason it caught my eye this morning. This was one of the first palms planted in my backyard. It’s been a consistent grower for me although not quick with putting on height. Early on it developed a soft spot on the trunk. I thought I was going to lose it. It has since mostly hardened back up although it is a bit concaved on one side of the trunk near the base. 

But seems to be moving along just fine now. Fingers crossed it stays that way.

ECEA2BD7-108F-41B3-AEDC-34277EA29D68.thumb.jpeg.80352b8fbfebf0a4300bb1accfee8e55.jpeg77655D8E-9247-4A57-9B9E-757357717822.thumb.jpeg.557712df3945939d991b650c3b48699a.jpegCA836112-BB88-4123-A7F3-C80153919CD2.thumb.jpeg.5e3d988e9afa6d49a0d59117db1fcf13.jpeg

• Like 15
  • Upvote 2

I have one, I think.

What are the defining characteristics, without seeds?

@The Gerg seriously curious.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

8 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

I have one, I think.

Dave - Here is my observation of mine: crownshaft is more of an emerald color.  Base is very swollen growth rings aren’t stepped like Beatrice.  Underside is white as well.  

• Upvote 1

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

1 minute ago, joe_OC said:

Dave - Here is my observation of mine: crownshaft is more of an emerald color.  Base is very swollen growth rings aren’t stepped like Beatrice.  Underside is white as well.  

So you think my purported specimen is the real deal?

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

2 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

So you think my purported specimen is the real deal?

I don't think you have ever pointed out your myolensis to me?

• Like 1

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

Just now, joe_OC said:

I don't think you have ever pointed out your myolensis to me?

Okay remind me the next time you visit!

@DoomsDave.....

@joe_OC pretty much nailed how I would have described mine. The color of the crown shaft, the swollen trunk base etc. I feel like it has a bit of a more graceful curvature to the leafs as well. Of course I only have the one so I am no expert on it.

Dave, post  a pic of yours in question.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Gerg said:

I feel like it has a bit of a more graceful curvature to the leafs as well.

I’ve noticed this too on myolensis here. Their fronds seem to curve much more than the other archontophoenix giving them a very distinctive look. 

• Like 1

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

7 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

I have one, I think.

If it could be useful:

Regards,

Pietro Puccio

Yours is beautiful @The Gerg! Mine has been a rocket from 5 gal and cannot get enough water. It gets some burn in the winter I think but I love it still. I planted it in 2014. It has the thickest trunk of any of my palms next to C. Gigas. 

6890BB33-F1A7-4F3B-AB92-B234EB0770DD.jpeg

78FEB1C3-03B3-4D49-9F52-2CFBD12A0D9B.jpeg

9B2E35E7-6D13-4F0D-8A63-63C09C11F366.jpeg

• Like 3

18 hours ago, joe_OC said:

So no stepped growth rings? Maybe mine is not Myolensis but Beatrice? I planted it as a Jungle Music 5 gallon double in 2003. In 2012, I lost one of the stems to crown rot so it has a curve. The crownshaft is lime green, but mine appears to have stepped growth rings, especially the first 10 feet of trunk:

Myolensis.thumb.jpg.c01ad0b5efee24d226b826c827df7e69.jpg

• Like 4

Mission Viejo, CA

Limited coastal influence

5-10 days of frost

IPS and PSSC Member

Wow. Looks great Matt. Mine was planted probably similar timing to yours. Maybe even a little sooner. Not as tall as yours but as I mentioned, mine got a soft spot early on that could have slowed down the vertical growth. It has seemingly bounced back and is picking up speed. I’m also now better at taking proper care of my palms. I’m learning all the time from this wonderful forum.

Other things I notice about my Myolensis vs. say a Cunninghamiana is it doesn’t seem to get the black scale like stuff on the crownshaft.

Picture 1 Myolensis. Picture 2 Cunninghamiana.

Of note, the Myolensis has silvery underside of leaflets with no ramenta (or as I like to call it stitching).

Those are more ways to tell the difference of pre flowering palms.

834A7839-C887-452F-B87F-15ECE6790C51.thumb.jpeg.1ad68d1797563ce03b3e7f3b548f7376.jpeg

E3360DD3-3414-4657-A2BC-BA0F7BE7F94D.thumb.jpeg.9c87a237280864e4a811416731258454.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I agree with some of the comments above. Defining features seem to be arching fronds and leaflets similar to cunninghamiana however with silver undersides and no ramenta as noted. Crownshaft colour seems to vary from bright green to a striking aqua - the specimens at Gardens by the Bay in Singapore were remarkable as they had nearly pure aqua blue coloured crownshafts when I visited a few years ago. 

Overall quite similar to tuckeri and especially maxima at a juvenile stage from what I’ve seen, but they never throw a red tinged new frond from my experience. 

• Like 1

Tim Brisbane

Patterson Lakes, bayside Melbourne, Australia

Rarely Frost

2005 Minimum: 2.6C,  Maximum: 44C

2005 Average: 17.2C, warmest on record.

6 minutes ago, tim_brissy_13 said:

I agree with some of the comments above. Defining features seem to be arching fronds and leaflets similar to cunninghamiana however with silver undersides and no ramenta as noted. Crownshaft colour seems to vary from bright green to a striking aqua - the specimens at Gardens by the Bay in Singapore were remarkable as they had nearly pure aqua blue coloured crownshafts when I visited a few years ago. 

Overall quite similar to tuckeri and especially maxima at a juvenile stage from what I’ve seen, but they never throw a red tinged new frond from my experience. 

Thanks Tim,

Could you share what’s different as Myolensis gets larger vs Maxima? 

At what size would someone really start to see a difference? 

5 hours ago, Brett in Mission Viejo said:

So no stepped growth rings? Maybe mine is not Myolensis but Beatrice? I planted it as a Jungle Music 5 gallon double in 2003. In 2012, I lost one of the stems to crown rot so it has a curve. The crownshaft is lime green, but mine appears to have stepped growth rings, especially the first 10 feet of trunk:

Myolensis.thumb.jpg.c01ad0b5efee24d226b826c827df7e69.jpg

Brett, first of all your yard looks great.

While my Myolensis is nowhere near the size of yours, mine does show a sort of step trait to the lower part of trunk as well. Not sure if it will continue to look as stepped as yours or not. Or more like Matt’s that doesn’t look stepped in the photo. When I think of stepped trunk archontopheonix I typically think of Beatrice. I would assume however Jungle Music would have it right. Which is where I got mine as well.

E9A6866E-3345-42CE-97CA-4E34842B64EF.thumb.jpeg.14813934dbc59bd838ac943e5bb6bacd.jpegF9E207A7-6C23-421C-9646-8D1CC865A49F.thumb.jpeg.ebf6ff42465f809c178d596a7360ea70.jpeg

I have a few that started life as little 1 gallons maybe 18yrs ago.  Mine definitely have an emerald green crownshaft &flared base but mine also seem to have a bit of the stepped trunk. You can see the trunks in the back to the right on the 2nd picture. 

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, -2 brian said:

E9A6866E-3345-42CE-97CA-4E34842B64EF.thumb.jpeg.14813934dbc59bd838ac943e5bb6bacd.jpegF9E207A7-6C23-421C-9646-8D1CC865A49F.thumb.jpeg.ebf6ff42465f809c178d596a7360ea70.jpeg

I have a few that started life as little 1 gallons maybe 18yrs ago.  Mine definitely have an emerald green crownshaft &flared base but mine also seem to have a bit of the stepped trunk. You can see the trunks in the back to the right on the 2nd picture. 

Nice Myolensis, Brian.  When I was referring to stepped, I meant like the beatrice where there is a clear step between each growth ring.  Your's has a flared bottom, but the rings aren't as pronounced.  

• Upvote 1

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

3 hours ago, James B said:

Thanks Tim,

Could you share what’s different as Myolensis gets larger vs Maxima? 

At what size would someone really start to see a difference? 

Adult maximas have very large inflorescences and very short or almost no petiole. However I’ve seen juvenile maximas that have a longer petiole especially if they have been shade grown. I’d say they can be difficult to tell apart until flowering age. 

• Like 1

Tim Brisbane

Patterson Lakes, bayside Melbourne, Australia

Rarely Frost

2005 Minimum: 2.6C,  Maximum: 44C

2005 Average: 17.2C, warmest on record.

I have to palms identified as myolensis that I sourced from mike evans in 2012 as 3 gallon plans just showing the beginning of divided leaves.  Here is one, the fence is 7' tall so clear trunk is about 11'.  Its a tad more blueish than my maxima, and they are both more bluish than my (3) alexandre.  None of my 4 species of archies have a stepped trunk.  Not sure that isn't just a climate related feature.  We get 60" of rain a year here and humidity is below RH 50% only some days in spring.

myolensis_crown2020.jpg

myolensis2020.jpg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

11 hours ago, sonoranfans said:

I have to palms identified as myolensis that I sourced from mike evans in 2012 as 3 gallon plans just showing the beginning of divided leaves.  Here is one, the fence is 7' tall so clear trunk is about 11'.  Its a tad more blueish than my maxima, and they are both more bluish than my (3) alexandre.  None of my 4 species of archies have a stepped trunk.  Not sure that isn't just a climate related feature.  We get 60" of rain a year here and humidity is below RH 50% only some days in spring.

myolensis_crown2020.jpg

myolensis2020.jpg

Beautiful coloration on that palm. Makes me want to add a Myolensis even though I have way too many Archontophoenix( over 30).

Whether due to mislabeling or variation within subspecies I will be patient until mine are old enough to flower. Then between inflorescence and seed shape for from there. I have palms sold as Maxima and they present a variety of features. I also have several A Beatricea which were either sold as Cunninghamiana or Alexandrae and in terms of coloration have the deep green blue emerald crown shaft color. They also have very short petioles. What I have found is their leaves are much larger and more upright and wind resistant. And as you said my Maxima that is grown in shade as long petioles whereas the one in full sun has 1” petioles that are almost non existent.

Here’s my purported myolensis.  @joe_OC it’s right next to the Dypsis saintluciei I showed you on your last visit.

F787C09E-C184-4A4A-AE74-B574267EC35F.thumb.jpeg.84d0f7dd3143f854ee5764a82e5becf1.jpeg

6289FE6D-9E7E-46DA-86A4-C5D85C958F4E.thumb.jpeg.a1406769560788cc42401af071fc5f3c.jpeg

CAE3EDAD-D5E8-4976-B3C7-50CE44613462.thumb.jpeg.3616f10f63f1294978acd90ff6c26a89.jpeg

BCD807BA-DBE4-4283-96A9-4967879BB674.thumb.jpeg.2f9e342578adf2b39676896b2c3831fa.jpeg

• Like 5

21 hours ago, The Gerg said:

Brett, first of all your yard looks great.

While my Myolensis is nowhere near the size of yours, mine does show a sort of step trait to the lower part of trunk as well. Not sure if it will continue to look as stepped as yours or not. Or more like Matt’s that doesn’t look stepped in the photo. When I think of stepped trunk archontopheonix I typically think of Beatrice. I would assume however Jungle Music would have it right. Which is where I got mine as well.

Greg,

Thanks. And for your observations, I agree it could be a subtle trait common that varies with both species.

28 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

Here’s my purported myolensis.  @joe_OC it’s right next to the Dypsis saintluciei I showed you on your last visit.

F787C09E-C184-4A4A-AE74-B574267EC35F.thumb.jpeg.84d0f7dd3143f854ee5764a82e5becf1.jpeg

6289FE6D-9E7E-46DA-86A4-C5D85C958F4E.thumb.jpeg.a1406769560788cc42401af071fc5f3c.jpeg

CAE3EDAD-D5E8-4976-B3C7-50CE44613462.thumb.jpeg.3616f10f63f1294978acd90ff6c26a89.jpeg

BCD807BA-DBE4-4283-96A9-4967879BB674.thumb.jpeg.2f9e342578adf2b39676896b2c3831fa.jpeg

DD,

Your's has some stepped rings too! 

Mission Viejo, CA

Limited coastal influence

5-10 days of frost

IPS and PSSC Member

Just now, Brett in Mission Viejo said:

Greg,

Thanks. And for your observations, I agree it could be a subtle trait common that varies with both species.

DD,

Your's has some stepped rings too! 

Mine got dug and moved, so it set back pretty badly. I'm pretty sure that's what you're referring to. I've seen other Archies do that, too.

15 minutes ago, The Gerg said:

She’s a beaut @DoomsDave. Looks Myolensis to my eye comparing it to mine.

From what I understand the seeds are really oblong compared to my horde of tuckeri.

Time will tell.

• Like 1

they all look like myolensis to me.  I have a second one that gets direct sun on the crownshaft and less water, the blue tinge is not obvious.  this palm differs from my other archies in that the upper ringed trunk stays green longer than the others.  My (3) alexes turn almost yellow before going gray.  I see daves palm and the other look more like mine that way.   The one posed here flowered last year but no fruit, the bulge under the crownshaft is back so looks like its going to try again.  None of my other archies of the similar age(and taller) has flowered yet.  Here is a pic of the bluish maxima crownshaft.  this palm is a few years younger than my myolensis and alex's and is in more shade under them, but its caught up to them and is looking like it will pass them.  this is th emost blue that maxima gets, right after a leaf falls.  the myolensis persists in its blue color tint longer.

maximacrownshaft2020.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Tom Blank

Here is the second myolensis showing no obvious blue tint in the crownshaft.  this crownshaft sees a few hours more direct sun.  Ihave seen with dypsis pembana that the blue tint to the trunk is more pronounced in shade also.

myolanumber2.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Tom Blank

Not sure I’d call this a stepped trunk. A leaf fell off last night. They’re so heavy! 

3808C709-50D4-45BF-A5CE-FF595BD2DC1C.jpeg

4D60D40D-26ED-4362-87A3-FD2CF91334A7.jpeg

94ED3143-896E-4B93-869B-D7F5440405CE.jpeg

• Like 6

Here is mine in Coastal Central Florida. It was a 1 gal from Jeff Searle. Pretty fast grower for me 20200712_155256.thumb.jpg.542100e15b69ba54c7396280ca17e80e.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1