IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

My First Coconut Palm!

HtownPalms

My wife and I checked out a new to us nursery today and I was pleasantly surprised to see that they were selling small Coconut Palms! Even though these are very common in a lot of areas this is the first time that I have found them for sale here in the Houston area. I know in areas where Coconut Palms grow these are practically free, but I think I got a good deal paying $25. I don't know much about Coconut Palms so I was hoping someone on the forum could help me identify what type of Palm tree that I bought. When I asked the guy working the register what type of Coconut Palm it was he said he had no idea. One thing that I thought was peculiar was that all of the palms had green stems except for two. The one that I bought had slightly yellow stems and one that I didn't buy had very yellow stems. The only reason why I didn't buy the one with very yellow stems was because some of the leaves looked yellow too. Could someone let me know why some of the palm trees have green stems and why some have yellow stems? My luck the yellow stems are a deficiency and I should have bought a green stem one! 

First here is a picture of the green stemmed Coconut Palms.

20200711_100554.jpg

• Upvote 3

Here are the pictures of the heavily yellow stemmed Coconut Palm that I did not buy. It was the prettiest with the yellow stems, but since the leaves were coming in yellow too I was afraid it was sick or had a nutrient deficiency. 

20200711_100525.jpg

20200711_100521.jpg

20200711_100533.jpg

• Upvote 2

Here is the one that I took home. It had the yellow stems but they weren't as striking at the one I passed on; however there was no yellowing on the leaves making me think it is a bit healthier. The final picture is after I brought it home and put it in a bigger pot. I used lava sand, coco coir, potting soil, and a dash of azomite as my soil mixture. Any tips or advice will be gladly accepted. It's going to be some work to keep it happy this winter, but it has to be loving this 100+ degree weather we are having right now!

20200711_101833.jpg

20200711_101838.jpg

20200711_161553.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Looks good!  Nice collection of palms too!  Cant ID it but from my experience it wont like any freezing weather! 

@HtownPalms When we buy coconuts here in Florida, they are usually Malayan Dwarf unless we go to a specialty nursery.  The ones with the green petioles are usually Green Malayan Dwarf, and the ones with the golden petioles are usually Golden Malayan Dwarf.  Due to the upright nature of the crowns on the seedlings in your photos, I'd say they are likely Malayan Dwarf coconuts. 

As @jimmyt advised, they hate cold and prolonged cool weather.  The Golden Malayan in particular are a little more cold sensitive than the Green Malayan and the talls.  Another possibility is a Maypan, which a cross between a Malayan Dwarf and a Panama Tall.  I have a Maypan, and the crown is not quite as umbrella shaped as a Malayan Dwarf, but not quite as full as a tall.  The best identifier for a Maypan in my limited experience is the coconut itself.  Mine was larger than an NBA basketball.  They literally had to stretch the 3 gallon pot it was in to fit it in the pot.

• Upvote 3

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

Thanks Jimmy! I've heard that Coconut Palms have around the same cold sensitivity as Addonidia merrilli's. I overwintered a bunch of A. Merrilli palms last year and they seemed happy, so the Coconut palm should do well until it gets too big to bring inside.

Kinzyjr, Thanks for the ideas on what it might be. I'm sure it came from Florida because the store owner said that they just got the Coconut Palms in and everyone gets their stuff from Florida. Of course I would have picked the one thats more cold sensitive! At this time I would guess that its not a Maypan because the Coconut that its growing out of doesn't seem abnormally large to me. 

MeanGreen94z, It was at JRN Nursery 4809 Breen Rd. In Houston. There is also a JRN nursery 2, but i was told that has no affiliation with the JRN nursery i got my Coconut Tree from. They had about 10-12 of them. 

13 minutes ago, HtownPalms said:

MeanGreen94z, It was at JRN Nursery 4809 Breen Rd. In Houston. There is also a JRN nursery 2, but i was told that has no affiliation with the JRN nursery i got my Coconut Tree from. They had about 10-12 of them. 

Did they have anything else worth mentioning?

Jeff985, Other than the Coconut Palms they didn't have anything too exotic palm tree wise. Lady palms, bottle palms, A. Merrilli, bamboo palms, and a few other commonly found palms. They did have some rare houseplants that my wife was excited about. It isn't the most well kept nursery in town, but the folks that runs it are very friendly and helpful. 

Edited by HtownPalms
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey Susanarscott, 

Sorry for the late reply. I'm not exactly sure what your asking. I'm not sure why they had the Coconut palms if thats what you were wanting to know. 

On 7/12/2020 at 3:22 AM, HtownPalms said:

Here are the pictures of the heavily yellow stemmed Coconut Palm that I did not buy. It was the prettiest with the yellow stems, but since the leaves were coming in yellow too I was afraid it was sick or had a nutrient deficiency. 

20200711_100525.jpg

20200711_100521.jpg

20200711_100533.jpg

I would go back to the shop and buy a yellow one! They are beautiful!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/28/2020 at 4:32 AM, wimmie said:

I would go back to the shop and buy a yellow one! They are beautiful!

Golden/yellows/orange/reds are beautiful cocos!

15995063337724495098815972250390.jpg

15995063596721174638463741519691.jpg

• Like 3

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)