IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dypsis mananjarensis (red form) In Gear

Dypsisdean

This has been much faster then the "white form" for me. And seems more robust as well. Managed to get two boots off it today, so it's actually looking more like a grown up.

IMG_3908.JPG

IMG_3912.JPG

IMG_3913.JPG

IMG_3914.JPG

• Like 12
  • Upvote 2

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

Hi Dean,

Can you elaborate on "red form" vs. "white form"?

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

2 hours ago, joe_OC said:

Hi Dean,

Can you elaborate on "red form" vs. "white form"?

I've grown two distinct forms. One is what I always thought was the only one - that is, with no color other than what you would see on a typical palm with a green (whiter when newly forming) spear and no color on the newly opened leaf.

Several years ago - I think 10 maybe - but I could be off a lot on that, I saw for the first time a batch of seedlings that had very red new spears. I started growing a few of those and right away I could tell they were growing faster (and were much prettier) than the one green/white one that I had been growing for the ten years before these came around. As you can see, it has kept a lot of that color well into its trunking phase - but slowly fading now - a very bright red when younger.

The other difference I've noticed is that while the green/white form does lend some color to the new leaf at times when it gets older, it isn't as much as the red form. Keep in mind that my experiences are only based on one "white form" that I have grown, compared to the three red forms I grew. However, the red form that Jeff Marcus planted seemed to me to grow very quickly as well, but I didn't get to see his white forms until already almost adults.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Kona, on The Big Island

Wow, I thought the Kona coast was  a desert like Wai`anae.  Wow, Looking good.

Steve

Born in the Bronx

Raised in Brooklyn

Matured In Wai`anae

I can't be held responsible for anything I say or do....LOL

1 hour ago, WaianaeCrider said:

Wow, I thought the Kona coast was  a desert like Wai`anae.  Wow, Looking good.

Thanks Steve - I'm up mauka, just above the "coffee belt." On schedule for easily over 100 inches this year - above normal (60 in.) for sure - but ever since the volcano went back to sleep last year, after 35 years of vog, the rainfall has really ticked up. I hope it is permanent.

Kona, on The Big Island

39 minutes ago, Dypsisdean said:

Thanks Steve - I'm up mauka, just above the "coffee belt." On schedule for easily over 100 inches this year - above normal (60 in.) for sure - but ever since the volcano went back to sleep last year, after 35 years of vog, the rainfall has really ticked up. I hope it is permanent.

Yea makes sense.  With elevation the rain increases.   I'm at about 380'.  I have done YEARS of hiking deep in the valley at higher elevations and yup there is jungle up there w/more rain.  I kinda like it this way.  Let it rain up mauka and filter down to the water table.  Then if I want something to grow I can buy the water.  LOL  I'd much rather buy the water than the Round Up to kill the weeds I don't want growing.  With all the haole koa that has been here for way more than the 40 years I've owned this lot can you imagine the number of seeds laying on the ground just waiting for a little water?   LOL

Steve

Born in the Bronx

Raised in Brooklyn

Matured In Wai`anae

I can't be held responsible for anything I say or do....LOL

4 hours ago, Brad52 said:

Dean, are you growing on unripped a'a'?

Yes - with (my guess) about 800 years of forest growth - so there is a fair amount of organics as opposed to the situation on your side. I can usually dig holes, but still a lot of rock. 

Kona, on The Big Island

12 hours ago, WaianaeCrider said:

Yea makes sense.  With elevation the rain increases.   I'm at about 380'.  I have done YEARS of hiking deep in the valley at higher elevations and yup there is jungle up there w/more rain.  I kinda like it this way.  Let it rain up mauka and filter down to the water table.  Then if I want something to grow I can buy the water.  LOL  I'd much rather buy the water than the Round Up to kill the weeds I don't want growing.  With all the haole koa that has been here for way more than the 40 years I've owned this lot can you imagine the number of seeds laying on the ground just waiting for a little water?   LOL

Yep the war on weeds never ends. But irrigating 3 acres isn't an option. :)

Kona, on The Big Island