Sign in to follow this  
joe_OC

Great Palmy Friends

joe_OC

So it was my birthday last week. My friends Mike and Paul came over to surprise me with a birthday present.  When I opened up the present, it was a bag of Queen palm seeds.   I laughed it off and was about to throw away the box.  They stopped me and told me the toy real present was at the bottom of the box.  
I looked down and sure enough, there was a handwritten gift card on a Bluebell Nursery business card.  It was credit for one large palm.  These guys are really special to me ( not just because of the gift).

So today, I went with Paul to pick up my gift.  With all the choices, I settled on this  Dictyosperma album rubrum:
NOTE:  The woman in the picture is Arlene.  She and her husband Jack have been growing palms for 40 years.

THANKS, AGAIN...Mike & Paul!

C49DB726-E466-4246-BFE8-A17522572E1F.jpeg

ACFD5B97-39DB-4FAD-8DDF-E832A249DA93.jpeg

Edited by joe_OC
  • Like 12
  • Upvote 4

kinzyjr

A great present for a great occasion from great people.  Doesn't get any better than that. :) 

• Like 2

joe_OC

Doesn’t get much better when you can share this hobby of ours with real friends.

TomJ

I saw that plant with your name on it when I was there.

It looks amazing!!  Enjoy.

• Like 1

James760

What great friends! Happy Belated Birthday Day! Nice choice of palm, looks beautiful :greenthumb: 

• Like 1

The Gerg

@joe_OC, obviously we are going to need a picture after you get it in the ground.

Thats a great outside the norm choice for around here. I’ve only been there once and I believe it was you who turned me on to these guys. I grabbed one of there “famous” tub sized D. decipiens and D. prestoniana.

Cheers to new palms and old friends.

• Like 1

Brett in Mission Viejo

Happy Birthday and nice score Joe!

• Like 1

Darold Petty

Jack and Arline are great,  ask them about their bug collecting for school projects !    

• Like 1

joe_OC
1 hour ago, Darold Petty said:

Jack and Arline are great,  ask them about their bug collecting for school projects !    

I've spent several hours at a time there talking about:  palms/bugs/life with them.  

• Like 2