Sign in to follow this  
WaianaeCrider

Pseudophoenix vinifera

WaianaeCrider

Last year this palm produce 3 inflorescence.  the first one was heavy in fruit and a strong wind blew it off the tree.  The other two produce probably a few hundred fruit which ripened and fell on the ground into the litter from the flowers.  Around Feb of this year I noticed a number of seedlings sprouting up around the base of the tree.  I soaked the ground and dug about 4 up and potted them.  All looking good but still only that single thin leaf.

This year the same thing happened to the first inflorescence.  Now the other two are loaded w/fruit and #2 has some turning red.  I plan to put some soil in a gallon pot and place some seed on top and cover w/flower litter.  Others I may just lay on top of the litter as if it was nature doing it.  these will go into my 60% shade house and see what happens.  Not crazy about the thought of cleaning the fruit from seeds so I'll probably just try the above methods and see what happens.

Pseudophoenix vinifera-20191122_090332.jpg

Pseudophoenix vinifera-20191122_090357.jpg

• Like 13

redant

I'm guessing the seeds should be cracked like Pseudophoenix sargentii for best results but can confirm this to be true.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

WaianaeCrider

Here is follow up photo's of flower litter from last and this year and two new shoots from last years seeds.

20200710_103804[1].jpg

20200710_103824[1].jpg

• Like 3

Hilo Jason

Wow!  That is a great looking palm. I imagine it’s been on the ground for many many years?  Do you remember when it was planted?

I have a small 2 leaf plant in a pot, but lack the heat that these probably want. 

• Like 1

DoomsDave

Yeah, great looking palm! They seem to hate California. Well, maybe Antartica worse.

aztropic

Pseudophoenix vinifera seems to grow in Arizona if you start with a larger tree.I brought this one back from Florida as a 15 gallon,and it's been a slow but steady grower for me over the last 10 years.Our occasional winter freezes do set it back though,so if you have the choice,I'd recommend you grow a trouble free sargentii instead. :)

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

IMG_20200419_125543861.jpg

IMG_20200711_135943592.jpg

• Like 5