Sign in to follow this  
tejas1978

toddler archie maxima

tejas1978

My maxima is moving out of the bay phase and into the toddler phase. Growing pretty fast, opens up a nice new red frond every other month or so. Its in a pretty tough part of my yard, gets high winds and full sun, new fronds have stopped yellowing and no brown tips. I love the shape and look of these, I have another close by that's a little smaller but still a good performer as well. 

Before, planted in April 2018

726853534_maxima3.thumb.jpg.7902f6f4dbe6dd78872a2266f95c3bcf.jpg

After

1600336142_maxima1.thumb.jpg.fe93d43b907d5cd70e1dd3f262aac9dd.jpg

771629426_maxima2.thumb.jpg.62d3cad086afdfcca262bbefc2f78d3b.jpg

• Like 8
  • Upvote 2

James B

Nice! They are an awesome palm. If yours is in full sun, like all Archontophoenix it will put on height slower than if it’s under canopy or afternoon shade. But even in sun, it will grow faster than most palms. In a few years you will be able to walk under it!

• Like 1

DoomsDave
5 hours ago, tejas1978 said:

My maxima is moving out of the bay phase and into the toddler phase. Growing pretty fast, opens up a nice new red frond every other month or so. Its in a pretty tough part of my yard, gets high winds and full sun, new fronds have stopped yellowing and no brown tips. I love the shape and look of these, I have another close by that's a little smaller but still a good performer as well. 

Before, planted in April 2018

726853534_maxima3.thumb.jpg.7902f6f4dbe6dd78872a2266f95c3bcf.jpg

After

1600336142_maxima1.thumb.jpg.fe93d43b907d5cd70e1dd3f262aac9dd.jpg

771629426_maxima2.thumb.jpg.62d3cad086afdfcca262bbefc2f78d3b.jpg

Nice to meet you!

I’m up the hill a bit and got a Maxie that’s about 20+ feet some peeps take it for a royal.

• Like 1

The Gerg
32 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

Nice to meet you!

I’m up the hill a bit and got a Maxie that’s about 20+ feet some peeps take it for a royal.

@DoomsDave, That reminds me of a question I’ve had. Do maxima leafs drop heavy like a royal? I hope not.

sonoranfans

Archies dont have huge heavy leaves like a royal,  and that is a good thing.  I can ony take so many 30lb 20' long dropping leaves with 5-6' of crownshaft.  With 2 mature royals I get 20-25 falling each year.  In my experience(maxima, alex, myola, purpurea), archies drop light leaves, notably lighter than kentiopsis O, let alone a royal.  When kentiopsis leaves thrash with archie leaves in the wind here, the archie leaves are getting all the damage, KO looks untouched due ot it heavy leaves I suspect.

DoomsDave
8 hours ago, The Gerg said:

@DoomsDave, That reminds me of a question I’ve had. Do maxima leafs drop heavy like a royal? I hope not.

Nowhere even close! Like 10 pounds compared to 60.

Oh, how yea verily too damn well do I know . . . . .