IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

How to move Brahea armata?

stingray

I need to move a Brahea armata, it's been in the ground for 10+ years. It isn't huge with only about 18" of trunk so it would be manageable with a few people.  I hear these are finicky and I don't want to lose it.  Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. 

1 hour ago, Umbrae said:

if you have time , root prune it for a couple months 

What if it is a really small one and you dig so far out that the rootball pretty much dont get touched. possible?

a slow root prune may be needed to save the palm.  This palm is not an easy one to transplant and 10 years in the ground is lots of time to grow roots.   

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

You will have to root prune. Dig 1/3rd around it. Wait a month. Dig another 1/3rd. Wait a month then get it out of the ground. Anything less will severely lower your odds of transplantation. 

Better idea is to just leave it there to grow and go buy another one.

• Like 5

On 7/5/2020 at 8:51 PM, Palmfarmer said:

What if it is a really small one and you dig so far out that the rootball pretty much dont get touched. possible?

will the trunk support lifting that big of a root ball , if memory serves me right brahea roots bleed when they are cut 

yes the armata will bleed from the roots so a slow prune is the best choice.  I have transplanted a small armata(15 gallon size) that had only been in the ground for 6 months, no problem.  But as roots become extensive over time, many roots will need to be cut and this is best done by root pruning small areas at a time over several months.   If the palm has been in the ground for 10 years it has LOTS of roots that will need to be cut. 

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank