IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Happy Independence Day!

NickJames

Happy Independence Day!

• Like 1

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 2 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 2 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

@NickJames The development you live in should use that as a promo shot. 

Hope you all had a wonderful 4th of July!  Today is "clean up the bottle rockets in the garden beds" day.

• Like 3

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

11 hours ago, kinzyjr said:

@NickJames The development you live in should use that as a promo shot. 

Hope you all had a wonderful 4th of July!  Today is "clean up the bottle rockets in the garden beds" day.

Fun fact: I actually traded marketing photos to my last builder in Fernandina Beach for this Phoenix Sylvestris. At that size, it was $$$$$$. 

also not so fun fact: I think it was dying of something when I moved here to Daytona :(

I had cared for it so well!

9361E6C3-CD7D-4BA6-96F7-927885A585AA.jpeg

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, NickJames said:

also not so fun fact: I think it was dying of something when I moved here to Daytona :(

I had cared for it so well!

Did it pass on?  There are a lot of them passing away here.  There is a house down at Lake Hollingsworth that has replaced one several times because every time they replace it the replacement dies.  :(

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

4 minutes ago, kinzyjr said:

Did it pass on?  There are a lot of them passing away here.  There is a house down at Lake Hollingsworth that has replaced one several times because every time they replace it the replacement dies.  :(

This is the last photo I have of it from about a year ago. I moved in to my Daytona home on 7/31/19. 

In the two years I had it, it basically didn’t appear to grow. The center spears appeared brown/dead when I moved.

in the drone video I did for my listing (I am a REALTOR as well so I sold my own home) you could see there was no new green growth. 

I would be curious to see what it looks like now. 

the coldest it saw was 26 during the advective freeze in 2018. Other than that, it had amazing drainage (very sandy soil). It was fed regularly with palm gain. 

3C880B18-9080-4189-993C-BD3C944526DF.jpeg

Just now, NickJames said:

This is the last photo I have of it from about a year ago. I moved in to my Daytona home on 7/31/19. 

In the two years I had it, it basically didn’t appear to grow. The center spears appeared brown/dead when I moved.

in the drone video I did for my listing (I am a REALTOR as well so I sold my own home) you could see there was no new green growth. 

the coldest it saw was 26 during the advective freeze in 2018. Other than that, it had amazing drainage (very sandy soil). It was fed regularly with palm gain.

From the look of it and the symptoms you described, it looks as if it had contracted Lethal Bronzing.  Definitely wasn't cold.

• Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

10 minutes ago, kinzyjr said:

From the look of it and the symptoms you described, it looks as if it had contracted Lethal Bronzing.  Definitely wasn't cold.

I’m almost wondering if it had it the whole time. Or maybe just a random thing. I never even trimmed it. Meanwhile, my Washingtonia in the backyard (HEART EYES!!!) got trimmed regularly (only dead fronds) and never had any issues. They were some of the best Washingtonia I ever saw. THICK trunks for robusta and always a full, amazing crown. They grew so rapidly I would love to see them now and if they survived. I’m sure the new Owners hire it out and let them get trimmed to 3 fronds each :(

45 minutes ago, NickJames said:

I’m almost wondering if it had it the whole time. Or maybe just a random thing. I never even trimmed it. Meanwhile, my Washingtonia in the backyard (HEART EYES!!!) got trimmed regularly (only dead fronds) and never had any issues. They were some of the best Washingtonia I ever saw. THICK trunks for robusta and always a full, amazing crown. They grew so rapidly I would love to see them now and if they survived. I’m sure the new Owners hire it out and let them get trimmed to 3 fronds each :(

You did the right thing by not cutting any live tissue.  With bronzing, it spreads primarily through an insect vector.  I think my city is the #2 most impacted, right behind Tampa.  Unfortunately, our region of the state didn't and/or couldn't keep this problem to ourselves and it is found almost everywhere now. 

The Washingtonia you saw might have been hybridized.  We have a lot of robusta here, but once in a while you come across one with a large trunk that is shorter and a little more stout than normal.  It would be neat to do genetic testing to see for sure.  If my little Washingtonia filifera patch survives, the robust in the neighborhood will likely end up producing some hybrid seeds if I don't net all of the flowers.  "Landscapers" + "trimming" = My head exploding :rant:

Lakeland, FL

45 minutes ago, kinzyjr said:

You did the right thing by not cutting any live tissue.  With bronzing, it spreads primarily through an insect vector.  I think my city is the #2 most impacted, right behind Tampa.  Unfortunately, our region of the state didn't and/or couldn't keep this problem to ourselves and it is found almost everywhere now. 

The Washingtonia you saw might have been hybridized.  We have a lot of robusta here, but once in a while you come across one with a large trunk that is shorter and a little more stout than normal.  It would be neat to do genetic testing to see for sure.  If my little Washingtonia filifera patch survives, the robust in the neighborhood will likely end up producing some hybrid seeds if I don't net all of the flowers.  "Landscapers" + "trimming" = My head exploding :rant:

This was one year of growth. I had them installed when I built the pool. 

BDC7EF3C-15AB-47F1-B072-AE578A2B840D.jpeg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NickJames said:

3C880B18-9080-4189-993C-BD3C944526DF.jpeg

Yowza, give it a nudge, climb up and look in the crown. If there's a new spear, there's hope. If not, there might still be; with 99 cent store peroxide down the spear hole.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

21 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

Yowza, give it a nudge, climb up and look in the crown. If there's a new spear, there's hope. If not, there might still be; with 99 cent store peroxide down the spear hole.

Not my issue anymore, thank goodness. 

The buyers of my house screwed me an hour before closing (“we don’t have money for our closing costs”) so I took an $8000 hit. I didn’t feel like giving them free advice. 

Perhaps I’ll take a trip to Fernandina soon and check up on things. 

• Like 1

OUCH

SORRY @NickJames to hear.

• Like 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.