IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

My Green Malayan Dwarf Finally Producing Inflorescence

Mr. Coconut Palm

After 4 years of waiting since I planted it in the ground in the first part of June 2016, my trunking Green Malayan Dwarf is finally producing its first inflorescence in Flour Bluff on the east side of Corpus Christi, Texas.  The palm is about 15ft. tall in overall height with slightly over 2 ft. of woody trunk height.  I have checked it everyday, and yesterday, nothing, but today an inflorescence emerging that is already about 8 inches long in just one day!  And it is on the side of the palm facing the house, so it will have the most protection in the wintertime, than if it was on the other side of the palm.  If we have a mild winter this winter, by next May or June, I should have some mature nuts on my palm!  I honestly think it would have flowered and produced its first nuts a couple of years ago, if the palm had not been hit with two back to back bad winters the first two winters it was in the ground, in which it got down in the upper 20'sF on at least two nights in each of those two winters.

John

Image may contain: plant, outdoor and nature

Edited by Mr. Coconut Palm
Wrong Photo
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Wrong photo.  I am way too low tech to be good at posting photos.

@Mr. Coconut Palm Nice work and awesome news!  Can't wait to see them with mature fruit!

• Like 3

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

Just now, Mr. Coconut Palm said:

Thanks, Kinzy.

It will be really neat and exciting if I can get a few viable nuts off of it here, since this is the absolute maximum north that they can be grown outdoors in Texas, but in the Valley 100+ miles to my south, the ones that are regularly watered, produce viable nuts.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Mr. Coconut Palm said:

It will be really neat and exciting if I can get a few viable nuts off of it here, since this is the absolute maximum north that they can be grown outdoors in Texas, but in the Valley 100+ miles to my south, the ones that are regularly watered, produce viable nuts.

I think if you get just one more mild winter and perhaps an above average year in rainfall, you'll be in good shape.

• Like 2

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

21 minutes ago, kinzyjr said:

I think if you get just one more mild winter and perhaps an above average year in rainfall, you'll be in good shape.

I agree.

• Like 1

Fantastic! Really hope you get some viable nuts from your coconut, great stuff mate!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, sandgroper said:

Fantastic! Really hope you get some viable nuts from your coconut, great stuff mate!

Thanks, Dave.

• Like 2

Just having a look at your climate, it's not too dissimilar to mine, with a bit of luck I might be fortunate enough to see some signs of inflorescence in the not to distant future.  I'm really happy yours is flowering, it's exciting to see people having a win with these lovely palms, gives the rest of us hope too!

Screenshot_20200703-142522_Google.jpg

Screenshot_20200703-142539_Google.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mr. Coconut Palm said:

I agree.

Don't be fooled by those Perth weather stats.... trust me, I've been there in winter and it rains every day !.... haha

• Like 2

1 hour ago, greysrigging said:

Don't be fooled by those Perth weather stats.... trust me, I've been there in winter and it rains every day !.... haha

It can do, we can get weeks of solid rain but weeks of nothing too.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, sandgroper said:

Just having a look at your climate, it's not too dissimilar to mine, with a bit of luck I might be fortunate enough to see some signs of inflorescence in the not to distant future.  I'm really happy yours is flowering, it's exciting to see people having a win with these lovely palms, gives the rest of us hope too!

Screenshot_20200703-142522_Google.jpg

Screenshot_20200703-142539_Google.jpg

Dave,

It looks like you have a slight advantage in the middle of winter of about 1C over me, but I have the advantage of increased heat over the spring, summer, and fall, which can quickly make up for the slightly cooler winters here.

John

P.S.  Anyway, I do think you will have a decent chance of a few nuts though in your protected microclimate.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

@Mr. Coconut Palm Im really liking your chances!!! Here's to more Coconuts in Corpus :w00t:

Thanks, TJ.  I won't be the first to get mine to produce nuts here, but it is rare.  I only know of three other in ground ones over the years that did, so mine will probably be the fourth in the history of us Corpus Christi Coconut Palm growers.

• Like 3

Congratulations John! What a sight to see!

Your hard work and persistence is paying off.  Just like Dave said: This gives us coco growers in marginal climates hope.

:greenthumb::greenthumb::greenthumb:

• Like 3

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

2 hours ago, GottmitAlex said:

Congratulations John! What a sight to see!

Your hard work and persistence is paying off.  Just like Dave said: This gives us coco growers in marginal climates hope.

:greenthumb::greenthumb::greenthumb:

Thanks, Alex.

2 hours ago, NOT A TA said:

Congrats!!!!

Thanks, John.

JOHN, my friend!

I have been following you since I have joined Palmtalk. This is a great moment, after all that you have been through!

Hopefully I will have more time soon to catch up!

Congratulations!! Let the hype begin! And this again proves that the Green Malayan Dwarf is a nice variety!

Looking forward to seeing how they develop:).

Talk soon,

Pedro

15 hours ago, Cluster said:

JOHN, my friend!

I have been following you since I have joined Palmtalk. This is a great moment, after all that you have been through!

Hopefully I will have more time soon to catch up!

Congratulations!! Let the hype begin! And this again proves that the Green Malayan Dwarf is a nice variety!

Looking forward to seeing how they develop:).

Talk soon,

Pedro

Thanks, Pedro.  I look forward to us chatting soon.  I hope your Coconut Palms and your other Palms and plants are doing well.  When you get a chance, post new pics of them, and the other World Famous Madeira Coconuts too.

Your Friend,

John

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Meangreen94z said:

Looking great, post more pictures when you get a chance.

Hear, hear! Would love to see a full monty shot of the coconut palm.

• Like 2

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

23 hours ago, Meangreen94z said:

Looking great, post more pictures when you get a chance.

I will, Daniel.  Thanks.

21 hours ago, GottmitAlex said:

Hear, hear! Would love to see a full monty shot of the coconut palm.

Okay, Alex.  Thanks.

John,

that is great news and I am really happy for you!!!

Your great efforts for this species are starting to pay off - now, let's hope for some viable coconuts!

All the best from Okinawa -

Lars

• Like 2

4 hours ago, palmfriend said:

John,

that is great news and I am really happy for you!!!

Your great efforts for this species are starting to pay off - now, let's hope for some viable coconuts!

All the best from Okinawa -

Lars

Thanks, my friend.  I hope yours are doing well too.  I guess they are getting BIG now?

John

John,

you may remember that the very first coconut palm I planted out eight years ago was almost 

knocked out when the super-strong typhoon Nr.15 (in Japan they don't get names) hit our island last year's August. 

But it stood its ground somehow and I did what I could afterwards to secure it and to give it another chance.

a0001.thumb.JPG.917c568fc2e640f4dbac19e7b5071df7.JPG

It must have been quite a shock for the palm which went into a kind of lock down but somehow kept going to adapt itself to 

the new angle. When you started this thread I gave this one a closer look just out of curiosity and look here...

a0003.thumb.JPG.87ec47d091d4fa75743fcf8731754769.JPG

It's seems to be "back on the track", pushing its first inflorescence after almost one year!

We will see how it goes - I'll let you know, John!

No hijacking intended, best regards from Okinawa -

Lars

• Like 4

On 7/3/2020 at 3:48 PM, Mr. Coconut Palm said:

Thanks, Alex.

• Like 2

On 7/8/2020 at 7:37 AM, palmfriend said:

John,

you may remember that the very first coconut palm I planted out eight years ago was almost 

knocked out when the super-strong typhoon Nr.15 (in Japan they don't get names) hit our island last year's August. 

But it stood its ground somehow and I did what I could afterwards to secure it and to give it another chance.

a0001.thumb.JPG.917c568fc2e640f4dbac19e7b5071df7.JPG

It must have been quite a shock for the palm which went into a kind of lock down but somehow kept going to adapt itself to 

the new angle. When you started this thread I gave this one a closer look just out of curiosity and look here...

a0003.thumb.JPG.87ec47d091d4fa75743fcf8731754769.JPG

It's seems to be "back on the track", pushing its first inflorescence after almost one year!

We will see how it goes - I'll let you know, John!

No hijacking intended, best regards from Okinawa -

Lars

No apology needed, Lars.  I love the updates.  It looks like it is recovering nicely.  Is the one in the background of the photo a different variety?  It appears to have a bigger more robust trunk.  And are those juvenile Coconut Palms in pots below it?  If so, are they from nuts off of your palms?

John

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

John,

you are correct about the cocos nucifera in the background.

00001.thumb.JPG.df2b780afbe1c6421b25519664554115.JPG

It is grown from a coconut I found on one of our beaches - the palm must be now about six years old - and it has definitely other (bigger) 

dimensions than the Golden one I posted before.

00002.thumb.JPG.937b52ab80488cd82c9fe9f65b6aa609.JPG

In comparison a cold beverage, 500ml.

Finally the crown which gives us some clues...

00003.thumb.JPG.508ce08dc122916326803c1be2343ea8.JPG...

00004.thumb.JPG.9e37a6dbdea28ac0644293b3f1574092.JPG

A green type with very long leaves - probably a tall one from the Philippine or even a more southern location...

It is great to see it growing and hopefully I will get some fruits from it one day. 

best regards from Okinawa

Lars

• Like 1

John,

I am sorry, I forgot to answer your question about the potted juvenile ones.

Those are all from the beaches, I collected them in November 2018. I brought five coconuts home and they all germinated until March 2019,

two of them are already planted out. I am going to plant out the remaining ones soon or will give them some one else - we will see.

best regards

Lars

• Like 1

19 hours ago, palmfriend said:

John,

I am sorry, I forgot to answer your question about the potted juvenile ones.

Those are all from the beaches, I collected them in November 2018. I brought five coconuts home and they all germinated until March 2019,

two of them are already planted out. I am going to plant out the remaining ones soon or will give them some one else - we will see.

best regards

Lars

Okay, Lars.  Keep us posted.

• Like 1

how did your coco do with Hanna, im sure the winds were high. I know they are resistant to high winds but just wondering :)

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 2 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 2 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

On 7/28/2020 at 12:02 AM, JLM said:

how did your coco do with Hanna, im sure the winds were high. I know they are resistant to high winds but just wondering :)

J,

Thanks for asking.  My big Green Malayan Dwarf, had one big green leaf break and fall on my wife's Seminole Pink Hibiscus next to it, but my other two smaller in ground ones, appeared to have suffered no injuries, nor did any of my smaller potted ones that were totally exposed.  They really are for the most part, HURRICANE PROOF!!!

John

• Like 2