IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Pelagodoxa going from ground (in Zone 10B) to container to Greenhouse in 2021. I need advice!!

BamaPalmer

I have a question for those of you who have taken an in-ground palm out of the ground and successfully containerized it.  A Pelagodoxa henryii that was purchased in a 1-gal size 5 years a go from Jeff at Floribunda palms is really beginning to look beautiful at about 7-ft tall and each frond getting larger and more impressive.  We will be moving out of the Greater Fort Lauderdale area next Spring, (after 41 years,) to Central Alabama (possibly Zone 8B,) and I am constructing a greenhouse (up there) to accommodate several of my favourite palms (like this specimen,) and a few tropical fruiting trees.

Since I have the "luxury" of time till the move, I wanted to extricate my now, very healthy Pelagodoxa quite slowly...from now till October, to prepare it for transplantation to (probably) a 15-gal container, so it will be move-worthy by March-April of next year, and then be reunited to earth...but in a greenhouse.

What would be the best way to sever its current (terrible) soil/rock connection to a container, then onto the greenhouse.  Is root pruning a gentler way-to-go with this palm?  What other steps should be taken to improve the odds for a successful transplantation process?  Any first-hand advice would be treasured.  Many thanks, in advance!  AndyB)

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

It seems you've already made the move, but I'd like to offer my input to others on the forum as well.

I temporarily moved a young cocos nucifera to a pot to experiment how it would do being moved inside for the winter.

I didn't make any preparations, just dug it out. Several roots did get damaged/cut but a good root ball was left intact. I placed it in a 5-gallon pot and filled the gaps with a well-draining palm soil and some palm fertilizer, and gave a deep watering each day.

The palm had already sustained cold damage from the previous winter (freeze damage post) but it didn't seem to take on any more being moved into the container. Growth on a new spear still appeared stunted. A few weeks later I moved it back to the ground, and it is growing happily with no sign of damage from transplant!

Obviously though there is a lot of variance among palms in terms of container/transplant capability, but from time to time you can get good results without even really trying!

Edited by CodyORB

Thanks, Cody!  No, I didn't make the 600 miles move yet...The Pelagodoxa henryii is still happily growing in its So. Fla. calcium rock and is getting mighty handsome after 9 years.  To avoid excessive transplantation shock, I wanted to have it get used to movement by "root pruning" BEFORE containerisation.   

I always thought that proper root pruning techniques, by making cuts every other spade width, was a viable method.  The following month or so, the cuts are made a spade width, beginning where it wasn't cut the last time so there is a judicious new straight cut, again, every other spade width. 

The final cut is made below the now fully circularly cut at the perimeter of the root ball, to sever the taproot.  It is treated with rooting hormone once more, and in a week or two, the entire root ball can be lifted out of the ground and placed into its new home (supposedly) with minimal damage to the palm because it wasn't just extricated quickly from its growing zone but had three plus months to heal its cuts made carefully over a period of time.   

It is still in the ground and has been treated with rooting hormone to "heal" the spade cut roots, until the actual removal.

Have you, or anyone tried this technique to save a very valuable palm?  I would think at 7-8 feet tall, with each new frond opening up at about 5-6 feet tall, its worth is somewhat around $3000 US dollars.

• Upvote 1

I would take a little different approach to this dig than has been mentioned, but I think you’re on the right path...  A good friend in Homestead showed me the expert way to move large and valuable palms. 

At least a 4 month process if it is heavily lodged.  Day one, dig 1/4 of the root ball and create a gap in the soil(rock), enough that roots can’t grow to other side...  a couple inches of airspace.  The roots will likely root prune and branch.   Each quadrant, wait a month then repeat the process 3 more times.  I’d also suggest extra irrigation and probably some nutricote since the roots ball will be exposed, maybe use a few layers of burlap to cover the exposed rootball effectively slowing evaporation.  At the end of the 4th month, dig the bottom of the root ball out and pot it up.  Make sure to get a big enough pot to have 3-6” of growing space all the way around.  Get it healthy in the pot and in a few months move her to arctic prison!  Haha!  Good luck with it.  Take pics and document here on Palmtalk!  

• Upvote 1

That sounds like a very viable way to lessen the possibility of palm death.  This tree is just too nice to leave it after the move is completed, and it’s not like one sees 7’ fronded specimens of Pelagodoxa palms all the time.  I trust that this Pelagodoxa could be my new greenhouse’s most striking “citizen!”  Thanks!  Andy

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I will begin "surgery" next week (with accompanying photos!) on the Pelagodoxa palm.  The timing is pretty prefect.  Nice flooding rains are finally arriving in our heretofore fairly rain less and way hotter than normal "rainy season" in my microscopic part of SE Florida.  The dry pattern of the last 6 weeks (at my house) has finally begun a more favourable and moister change!  Hallelujah!  Andy  :greenthumb:

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting to see how move goes. How deep the cut need to be? 2 foot down? I assume the cuts need to slant to meet at the center point of the plant, right?

US Southwest Zone 10A

I think that is true enough for starters, Padraic.  Wish I had more input but this palm is relatively rarely grown!  Maybe I should check with Jeff at Floribunda Palms, as he grows as many as most anyone else!  I will see what he has to say.  Thanks, Andy!:rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/13/2020 at 7:15 PM, BamaPalmer said:

Thanks, Cody!  No, I didn't make the 600 miles move yet...The Pelagodoxa henryii is still happily growing in its So. Fla. calcium rock and is getting mighty handsome after 9 years.  To avoid excessive transplantation shock, I wanted to have it get used to movement by "root pruning" BEFORE containerisation.   

I always thought that proper root pruning techniques, by making cuts every other spade width, was a viable method.  The following month or so, the cuts are made a spade width, beginning where it wasn't cut the last time so there is a judicious new straight cut, again, every other spade width. 

The final cut is made below the now fully circularly cut at the perimeter of the root ball, to sever the taproot.  It is treated with rooting hormone once more, and in a week or two, the entire root ball can be lifted out of the ground and placed into its new home (supposedly) with minimal damage to the palm because it wasn't just extricated quickly from its growing zone but had three plus months to heal its cuts made carefully over a period of time.   

It is still in the ground and has been treated with rooting hormone to "heal" the spade cut roots, until the actual removal.

Have you, or anyone tried this technique to save a very valuable palm?  I would think at 7-8 feet tall, with each new frond opening up at about 5-6 feet tall, its worth is somewhat around $3000 US dollars.

Maybe a Palm Doctor is needed?

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Hi Ronald:

He IS needed, of course!  Perhaps, only a shadow of his former self due to not much physical mobility anymore, but 'he" still has a great diagnostic mind, and thinks like a palm tree, and that's why he is so different!  Empathy obtains greater successes!!  I will "tap into" his empirical "feel" for how to extricate this precious "baby" with clear thought and empathetic intervention!  I hope that it works, Ronald!  I hope that it CAN be a success!  I just fear that he won't re-root as readily as would a Sabal or a Cocos!  We will know soon enough!  I am going to live with that lovely & delicate-looking palm until November if, indeed I have to, to "pull it through" to a new level of plant health!  It will thrive in the greenhouse after next March, through 2040+ I can only hope, Ron!  I will really do my best for this amazing palm specimen!  All the best to you, my breadfruit-lovin' friend!  Andy!  :rolleyes: