IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Plumeria Sunburn Question

Wodyetia

I accidentally left a Potted, established plumeria in a very hot spot in my yard. It was neglected and got cooked in a black pot by inland sun. I’ve had experience with sunburn before and it’s usually just unsightly but doesn’t damage the plant. This one I’m not so sure about, seems pretty fried. Leaves haven’t opened. Should I cut and just reroot it?

F36B9921-E960-40F3-B18A-74BB6926C61F.jpeg

13 minutes ago, Wodyetia said:

I accidentally left a Potted, established plumeria in a very hot spot in my yard. It was neglected and got cooked in a black pot by inland sun. I’ve had experience with sunburn before and it’s usually just unsightly but doesn’t damage the plant. This one I’m not so sure about, seems pretty fried. Leaves haven’t opened. Should I cut and just reroot it?

F36B9921-E960-40F3-B18A-74BB6926C61F.jpeg

Yes.. Cut until you see completely green wood that bleeds latex ( sap ) You want no specks or streaks of brown in the tissue..  Then re-root. will advise that stems that are green / lack more mature, grayish/ brownish older wood can be a little tricky to root.. Might be easier there than what i have experienced when attempting similar aged cuttings here..  regardless, consider investing in some powdered sulfur. Helps to seal cuts / damaged tips.

Best way to keep younger- aged planted specimens, and potted plants from burning, apply a layer tree paint to the entire trunk, esp the lower portion. Saved what is left of my collection here( potted for now ).  Hope this helps.

Edited by Silas_Sancona
edit
  • Like 1

Interesting discussion.... I was not aware you could burn a plumeria! I did notice one I purchased from a local grower had a paint end trunk...

Dave

Riverside, CA Z 9b

1700 ft. elevation

approx 40 miles inland

11 minutes ago, doubravsky said:

Interesting discussion.... I was not aware you could burn a plumeria! I did notice one I purchased from a local grower had a paint end trunk...

Oh yes, lol.. Before i painted mine, i lost several. Some right away, a few hung on and were finished off after the following winter, despite not suffering any cold damage.  Green wood /stems, tips are especially vulnerable to sun damage.. Once more mature, grayish wood is formed, sunburn becomes less of an issue, esp. with plants in the ground. 

Keep mine under shadecloth all summer here and a couple suffered damage to the lower parts of their trunks i'd accidentally left un-painted where mid/ afternoon sun managed to sneak in this time of year last summer.. 

Nicest in-ground specimen in the neighborhood is planted up against an east facing wall. Is just topping the roof line and lush/ green, flowers on and off through the year ( except winter of course ).  Another, exposed to hot western full sun, is much smaller and looks " tired " ( short, stunted leaves, stems are very sun tanned.. Never seen flowers on it )

Its an interesting problem because these things naturally grow in pretty much full sun, up on rocky ledges, not all that far south of Arizona in Sonora. Pretty hot summers there, at least until their Monsoon season sets in. Think the difference is humidity/ dew points are quite a bit higher down there thru the summer compared to here plus, specimens grow up through other things which might help them to adjust to the intense sun a bit better.. Would imagine the extra moisture provides the same protection against the sun as it does for sun- sensitive Palms which eventually grow up into it, etc.

• Like 1

I have burnt a few.  Especially when setting them out first thing for the season after being under shade or in the Greenhouse.  As @Silas_Sancona stated some will recover and some linger,  and others it is just bad news.  I bet the desert can be brutal on Plumeria, even ones that are already acclimatized to it...

I actually noticed that all my Plumerias (with all the cuttings I had been requested to take, I have like 40 potted ones and 4 in the ground) that they finally took off with this recent heatwave we had after sitting seemingly dormant for much longer than I expected.

I wish I could help out with your Plumeria issue.  Best of luck.