IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Archontophoenix (King Palm) Help!

Jillian

The branch’s pictured were over my head. I think it has several problems with the waves in the leaves, and some type of bug.  I recently sprayed it with Neem oil and Bio Bayer about 7 to 10 days ago and the new growth is already looking better. 

4E5EF345-0501-423E-BE17-19616F0DB944.jpeg

A3F121A2-336F-4644-8733-19DE645B1D6F.jpeg

Jillian, Jimmy might be right,

but you really need to make an effort to get up a ladder and have a good look. Spider mites are so small and nearly invisible. But they can suck the life out of new leaves before they emerge. They need a different spray than the usual cheap insecticide. They need a miticide. repeated at a specific interval. Mealy bug made a couple of my big palms look like that too, because they were too high to see and treat properly (easily).

Recently I noticed here for the first time a combined insecticide/miticide and not too dear as miticide used to be. You may have already fixed the problem but don't forget to keep an eye on it so that it is gone, then the plant will recover. 

• Upvote 2

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

I appreciate the responses and the information. Thank you. They definitely were sucking the life out of it alright. Do either of you know if spider mites go kind of dormant during winter and come back? 

@Jillian I don’t think they go “dormant” but are less active and less prevalent during cooler weather.  As @gtsteve suggests you will likely need to retreat the palm in a couple of weeks.