IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Sabal Mauritiiformis flowering

sonoranfans

I recieved this sabal from Ken Johnson as a 8-9 foot overall non trunking palm.  I tried to some provide wind protection up near the east side(shaded late day by house)) house and with magnolia and maple nearby it has had some shading.   the soil is sandy and i really was preoccupied over this time with other more sensitive palms.  I started mulching the area annually 3 years ago.  I have trimmed back the two sh ade trees near it repeatedly to give it room.  This summer it went into flower.  I am re-rigging my irrigatiion system(converting grass sprinkler pop ups to micropsrayers) to ensure it gets more water as this palm is in a relatively dry area.   With so many palms growing up and overhead in my yard its nice to have a slow grower I can still see the crown without a ladder.

Mauritiiformis_in_flower2020.jpg

IMauritiiformis_july2020.jpg

• Like 17
  • Upvote 6

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

Nice one :bemused:

07690.gif

elevation 328 feet

distance from mediteranean sea 1,1 mile

lowest t° 2009/2010 : 27F

lowest t° 2008/2009 : 33F

lowest t° 2007/2008 : 32F

lowest t° 2006/2007 : 35F

lowest t° 2005/2006 : 27F

lowest t° 2004/2005 : 25F

Historical lowest t° 1985 : 18F

Nice!  Still no inflorescence appearing on mine (late Spring photo).  Same plant back in the summer of 2009 after it had been in the ground for at least 3 years, as it was a 1 or maybe 2 gallon plant when I got it and planted it.

20200517-104A6648.jpg

20090815-IMG_4552.jpg

• Like 8

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

Beautiful palm, my favorite Sabal.

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

I really like mauritiformis.  I grow lots of seedlings but am bummed out they're not hardy enough for us.

• 4 months later...

My sabal mauritiiformis has set seed and the fruit looks close to ripe.  Included also is a pic just after planting in april 2011.

MauritiiformisFruit_7864 (2).jpg

MauritiiformisMay2011.jpg

• Like 8

Tom Blank

On 7/1/2020 at 10:13 AM, Tracy said:

Nice!  Still no inflorescence appearing on mine (late Spring photo).  Same plant back in the summer of 2009 after it had been in the ground for at least 3 years, as it was a 1 or maybe 2 gallon plant when I got it and planted it.

20200517-104A6648.jpg

20090815-IMG_4552.jpg

Tracy — that looks awesome! Is there a secret to getting it to grow (other than time!)? Mines been in the ground for a few years and overall size is about the same as when I planted it. This summer I went heavy on the water and it seems like it was happier, but I’m not sure if it’s coincidental. I’ll grab a photo tomorrow. 

10 hours ago, msporty said:

Tracy — that looks awesome! Is there a secret to getting it to grow (other than time!)? Mines been in the ground for a few years and overall size is about the same as when I planted it. This summer I went heavy on the water and it seems like it was happier, but I’m not sure if it’s coincidental. I’ll grab a photo tomorrow. 

I was pretty stingy with water in the Carlsbad garden, didn't really use mulch on the surface to retain water but there is clay soil there.  I think as with so many palms, they are slower when small then pick up speed.  I do remember that it pushed ever longer petioles and larger leaves with no trunk for a long time.  It was tiny when planted and I was lucky the Rottweiler I had at the time didn't crush it chasing tennis balls that came over from the courts behind the house.

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

11E285FB-50EF-4710-AFBC-1BC1C4910956.thumb.jpeg.2b0bbfd158cbff96ea6f7c9f4594ef16.jpegI’m hoping my ugly duckling will turn into a beautiful swan one day...

I’m hopeful that the long spear is holding a nice leaf. 

• Like 2

Great pics! I love this palm! I have two seedlings in my garden, both excruciatingly slow (been in the ground about 3/4 years now), hope they speed up someday... 

16 minutes ago, Jan Jo said:

Great pics! I love this palm! I have two seedlings in my garden, both excruciatingly slow (been in the ground about 3/4 years now), hope they speed up someday... 

This is one of them... IMG_20201104_163820_copy_1000x750.jpg.bc044a19b445ff60972f799752ac63a5.jpg

And this is the other... IMG_20201104_163533_copy_1000x750.jpg.626d73c00bc899c3f06633941f9cd9d7.jpg

I think I planted both with little foresight of this palm's eventual size, particularly the second one. It's wedged between a clump of dypsis lutescens and a rhopalostylis baueri. Does anyone have any experience of moving them at this size? I've always read sabals in general are tricky to move.. Any opinions as to whether I should risk it (next spring)? Or just let it fight it out with its neighbours for resources? 

J

(P.S. sorry for thread hijack) ;)

13 minutes ago, Jan Jo said:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jan Jo said:

This is one of them... IMG_20201104_163820_copy_1000x750.jpg.bc044a19b445ff60972f799752ac63a5.jpg

And this is the other... IMG_20201104_163533_copy_1000x750.jpg.626d73c00bc899c3f06633941f9cd9d7.jpg

I think I planted both with little foresight of this palm's eventual size, particularly the second one. It's wedged between a clump of dypsis lutescens and a rhopalostylis baueri. Does anyone have any experience of moving them at this size? I've always read sabals in general are tricky to move.. Any opinions as to whether I should risk it (next spring)? Or just let it fight it out with its neighbours for resources? 

J

(P.S. sorry for thread hijack) ;)

I love that photo. That dry stacked wall looks really nice — great texture to contrast plant foliage. About moving them I have no idea...

• Like 1

Thanks! Those stones are very easy and cheap to get hold of in my area, and I love the contrast with the greenery too ;)

If anyone has any ideas about moving sabals that small I'd love to hear them... Am I right in thinking the usual trenching technique might not be as helpful as usual since that genus forms an underground trunk which is what's disturbed by the transplant? Or is that irrelevant? 

Thanks! 

J

On 11/4/2020 at 8:14 PM, msporty said:

I love that photo. That dry stacked wall looks really nice — great texture to contrast plant foliage. About moving them I have no idea...

Since no one has chimed in, I’ll give you my two cents...

Since the plant is still relatively small, it may tolerate moving better than a bigger plant. That said, I imagine Sabals, like Brahea, aren’t very happy about root disturbance. 

If it’s fate is to be moved, wait until early summer then start digging. I’d find the widest dimension you can afford to dig and start digging a trench — probably 2 sides of the square. Place boards in that trench to prevent roots growing back into that area. After a few weeks do the next two sides, completing the box. Two weeks later you can complete the excavation by getting the bottom freed up. 

If the first dig seems easy, maybe you can proceed with digging the whole thing?

At worst, it dies and you need a new plant — not the end of the world. I try to keep extra plants in different stages of growth, seedling up to 5g, to replace things that die/don’t thrive or as upgrades to existing plants in the landscape. 

Wishing you luck!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, msporty said:

Since no one has chimed in, I’ll give you my two cents...

Since the plant is still relatively small, it may tolerate moving better than a bigger plant. That said, I imagine Sabals, like Brahea, aren’t very happy about root disturbance. 

If it’s fate is to be moved, wait until early summer then start digging. I’d find the widest dimension you can afford to dig and start digging a trench — probably 2 sides of the square. Place boards in that trench to prevent roots growing back into that area. After a few weeks do the next two sides, completing the box. Two weeks later you can complete the excavation by getting the bottom freed up. 

If the first dig seems easy, maybe you can proceed with digging the whole thing?

At worst, it dies and you need a new plant — not the end of the world. I try to keep extra plants in different stages of growth, seedling up to 5g, to replace things that die/don’t thrive or as upgrades to existing plants in the landscape. 

Wishing you luck!

Thanks! 

I was more or less decided on going ahead with the move (next spring), was even thinking about where it would go, what its (smaller) replacement would be, etc... Then I read this, which I found in another article I'd missed...

Screenshot_2020-11-08-07-05-10-494_cn_wps.xiaomi.abroad_lite.thumb.jpg.981e6e7114a72f1f0a6afe0b6810c999.jpg

Sounds like moving a Sabal that size would be a death sentence... Can't bring myself to do it. Thanks again anyway! ;)

• Like 1

I have been able to transplant, dig up small sabal causiarum volunteer seedlings with (1-2) 3-4" leaves on 7/7 attempts.  The roots were not wholly intact but I was able to get at least 3" of roots.  When they say sever the roots, I'm not sure what they mean, possibly severing all of them.  I have seen sabal palmettos that look like logs, no roots at all, and thats the way the developers plant them, and they do grow but slowly.  Perhaps larger sized nontrunking sabals need a big a root ball to be viable.   In my case, some seeds fell onto the ground and grew and I harvested them crudely with a shovel and rinsed the dirt off, replanted them at a small size, they are doing well they have 4 leaves up to a foot long now 10 months later.  If I had cut off the root completely they probably would have died.   I expect a very skilled transplanter like Ken Johnson can transplant them no problem.  I got my mauritiiformis from him nontrunking and it was field grown.  He also had causiarum root pruned non trunking.   Ken goes at it slowly radially severing (pruning) roots over weeks or months, then pulls the palm.   

Tom Blank

2 hours ago, sonoranfans said:

I have been able to transplant, dig up small sabal causiarum volunteer seedlings with (1-2) 3-4" leaves on 7/7 attempts.  The roots were not wholly intact but I was able to get at least 3" of roots.  When they say sever the roots, I'm not sure what they mean, possibly severing all of them.  I have seen sabal palmettos that look like logs, no roots at all, and thats the way the developers plant them, and they do grow but slowly.  Perhaps larger sized nontrunking sabals need a big a root ball to be viable.   In my case, some seeds fell onto the ground and grew and I harvested them crudely with a shovel and rinsed the dirt off, replanted them at a small size, they are doing well they have 4 leaves up to a foot long now 10 months later.  If I had cut off the root completely they probably would have died.   I expect a very skilled transplanter like Ken Johnson can transplant them no problem.  I got my mauritiiformis from him nontrunking and it was field grown.  He also had causiarum root pruned non trunking.   Ken goes at it slowly radially severing (pruning) roots over weeks or months, then pulls the palm.   

Thanks! That's good to know, and very interesting... I'll decide what to do between now and spring... 

Cheers, 

Jan Jo

Edited by Jan Jo

I aint got no flowers yet but mines lookin nice at about 22' tall.  I like the "shaded" out look vs compact full sun

20201108_153559.jpg

• Like 4

Brandon, FL

27.95°N 82.28°W (Elev. 62 ft)

Zone9 w/ canopy

18 hours ago, Palmə häl′ik said:

I aint got no flowers yet but mines lookin nice at about 22' tall.  I like the "shaded" out look vs compact full sun

20201108_153559.jpg

looking good ray!  Is that one from ken as well?  

Tom Blank