IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

POLL: Should I get an A. Cunninghamiana?

NickJames

Should I find space for an archontophoenix cunninghamiana ? I saw one tonight on the way to Smyrna Dunes Park and it’s making my lust for one grow even more intense. 

• Like 1

@NickJames Yes.

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

I knew I could count on you all!

I just showed this to my husband as justification for my announcement that I would be driving around Friday (State holiday!) looking for one. 

:)

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, NickJames said:

I just showed this to my husband as justification for my announcement that I would be driving around Friday (State holiday!) looking for one. 

Don’t tell him I said so! :floor:

• Like 1

This one is the most cold hardy of the archies, I saw a handfull of these nearby who survived out in the open 2010, and 2018 freezes and look nice in places where similarly sized royals and foxtails died(in 2010).  For daytona beach, it would be the only archie I would try due to the zone.   These do tend to look nicer with part shade. 

• Like 1

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

Get one. You won't be sorry.

• Like 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

No, don’t buy one...buy several! This is one palm species that looks nice by itself but looks incredible in a grove. 

• Like 4

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

14 hours ago, NickJames said:

Well your a long way from me but I have tons of them, take a couple billion from me lol some in pots but millions of seedlings that could be uprooted, as many as you want for free. Also a couple of different type, peach river is my favorite.

Edited by redant
  • Like 1

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

5 minutes ago, redant said:

Also a couple of different type, peach river is my favorite.

Must see a picture !!!! never heard of that variety? 

T J 

4 hours ago, redant said:

Well your a long way from me but I have tons of them, take a couple billion from me lol some in pots but millions of seedlings that could be uprooted, as many as you want for free. Also a couple of different type, peach river is my favorite.

Ughhhh I wish!?

I vote no, simply because they’re not going to do well in full sun. If I recall correctly you don’t have any canopy, correct?

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

Get a Maxie, too.

Those silver reverse leaves, oh, suh-woon!

I've got some nice fivers, too big to ship, though . . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

11 hours ago, sonoranfans said:

For daytona beach, it would be the only archie I would try due to the zone.   These do tend to look nicer with part shade. 

I read that young Archies need some protection from full sun, but I wasn't aware that older ones had a problem with full sun in FL.  I have several seedlings in part shade, and planted one out in my "tropical bed" that gets drenched with overhead spray every morning.  That one definitely blanches out older leaves fast, but seems to be growing faster than the ones in the shady nursery area. 

7 minutes ago, Merlyn2220 said:

I read that young Archies need some protection from full sun, but I wasn't aware that older ones had a problem with full sun in FL

Here in California, they thrive in full sun.

• Like 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

Yes! One of my favorite palms that I absolutely can’t grow here (due to cold obviously) without some insane winter protection (yes, I planted one seedling in the ground this spring). 

PalmTreeDude

5 minutes ago, GottmitAlex said:

Thats interesting to hear as most Cunninghama in full sun usually have brown tips,  also never a dark green. @NickJameslook up Junglemusic.net they sale what they call Terra Carpa , fastest , tallest,  best in full sun King out there =) 

T J 

27 minutes ago, GottmitAlex said:

I think it depends on your specific climate plus a sliding scale of the more full sun the more water needed. Where I am I have found In the Upland/Rancho Cucamonga area overall once they get over 20 feet and are in full sun all day and at the mercy of the Santa Anna winds if they are planted as singles they get fried. Especially those that are over pruned by landscapers. Whereas the Kings planted as triples look much better as they protect each other from the winds. Granted the average home owner around here probably under waters their Archontophoenix way below their needs and act like they are a drought tolerant palm. The best looking Kings I have are in afternoon sun or partial afternoon sun shielded by a large Redwood Tree that’s over 60ft tall.

• Upvote 1

I will say as far as Archontophoenix goes overall in full sun. In my yard I’ve found A. Beatriceae with its stiff wide leaflets does the best to resist full sun plus winds followed by A.Maxima. The downside with Maxima is I’ve found its leaflets bend and break the easiest in winds over 20 mph but handle the sun better than Cunninghamiana. While Cunninghamiana is the most cold hardy, I have found A.Beatriceae and A.Maxima have both taken as low as 29 with frost with no more than 10-15% leaf burn.

Edited by James B
  • Like 1

And I've heard that A. maxima recovers quicker after suffering winter damage.  :greenthumb:

Jon Sunder

4 minutes ago, Fusca said:

And I've heard that A. maxima recovers quicker after suffering winter damage.  :greenthumb:

I’d defer to @DoomsDave and some of the senior members on PT as my garden is only 4-5 years old. I have a lot of variability in my Maxima. One is the fastest growing palm as far as putting on height in my yard and is going to be an absolute monster. 2 look really no different from Alexandrae, 1 that is the skinniest King palm in my yard behind a skinny triple Cunninghamiana, and one that is too young to judge at this time. All Kings grow fast and once they get over 6-7ft tall they all produce 6-8 leaves a year and will replace a full crown by end of summer. So any winter damage is gone by September at the latest.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, RedRabbit said:

I vote no, simply because they’re not going to do well in full sun. If I recall correctly you don’t have any canopy, correct?

That is correct! I’ve created shade pockets Via my palms for smaller tropicals (in the shadows of the dypsis lutescens, for example) but nothing that will support a full blown palm.

3 keys of my property:

VERY wet, but the elevation change from the house to the back and front of the lot compensate for that and do allow good drainage (except in the front corners where all the water drains to)

Blasted by FULL HOT SUN 

Very open to wind from the south and East in backyard (which means it’s an ideal spot for tropicals in the backyard, not so good in front yard)

@James B Agreed.  When I lived in zone 10a Corpus Christi I was told about the A. maxima by a member of the PSST (Palm Society of South Texas).  I've also read the same thing in an old thread here as well as commentary in Palmpedia.

Edited by Fusca
  • Like 1

Jon Sunder

1 hour ago, James B said:

I will say as far as Archontophoenix goes overall in full sun. In my yard I’ve found A. Beatriceae with its stiff wide leaflets does the best to resist full sun plus winds followed by A.Maxima. The downside with Maxima is I’ve found its leaflets bend and break the easiest in winds over 20 mph but handle the sun better than Cunninghamiana. While Cunninghamiana is the most cold hardy, I have found A.Beatriceae and A.Maxima have both taken as low as 29 with frost with no more than 10-15% leaf burn.

I lost all of my Beatrice to the Florida sun. They were 3g in size so perhaps they would have made it if they were 15g or 25g. 

My myolensis have actually done okay, but that may be because they were on the north side of a fence and had a TON of water. I’d certainly give Maxima a try here if anybody sold them in Central Florida. lol

Edited by RedRabbit
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, RedRabbit said:

Unless you’re in a very hot dry climate, they do great in the sun. Nearly all of mine are in full all day sun whether in multiples or single specimens. They are watered well however and that makes a big difference. 

33552034-ADCB-4987-8CF6-3E8C3A00E9EB.thumb.jpeg.0dc59bafb821361c92195a23dae2f36c.jpeg

2D6E77ED-5D6A-49A9-92A3-BF6D216A6158.thumb.jpeg.68c8654a6c276e96d28485010f7260f5.jpeg

6A0EDE85-EB34-4C59-8E02-9F23C5EB545E.thumb.jpeg.5db79b55c681214cb925ac0424b0e7b4.jpeg

41F9E3EB-6752-4556-9BFF-319ECE749AA2.thumb.jpeg.f67dec86ab5262bc37c7345040a9b639.jpeg

2AD68BB7-FC87-411A-ADC4-83653C7BE1B2.thumb.jpeg.abd269f3d842a067e2c23f4f32aa5ef0.jpeg

Edited by Jim in Los Altos
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

8 hours ago, NickJames said:

3 keys of my property:

VERY wet, but the elevation change from the house to the back and front of the lot compensate for that and do allow good drainage (except in the front corners where all the water drains to)

Blasted by FULL HOT SUN 

Very open to wind from the south and East in backyard (which means it’s an ideal spot for tropicals in the backyard, not so good in front yard)

Do it. I love them. Great for that tropical rainforest look. Probably will do great in your backyard.
But if you find one at a nursery, they’re pretty expensive. If you can make it to Orlando (lake Nona Area) Call Mike at MB Palms. He has several sizes for much better prices. 

Those Ive seen tend to hold a bigger crown of leaves and are deeper green in part shade.  I said nothing about growth rate, they just look more lush in part shade.  They will grow, but all the yellowish color and drying leaves are what you get in full sun, and that is what I see here too.  Compared with alexandre or myola, archies that look lush in full sun, the bangalow tends to look a bit parched and yellowish out in the open here.  Growth rate here has more to do with soil.  Perhaps its that they dry out to quickly sandy soil as water uptake is not as consistent in sandy soil and the increased water lost my leaves in full sun has to be replaced.  I try to place palms where they will look lush and happy.  A. Purpurea also look like crap in full sun here(they are notably worse than bangalows at that).  From what I have seen most archies grow better in california than in florida.  The two climates, including soil are not that similar.  Coastal california sun is much weaker than florida sun, but that inland california sun is second toughest to arizona that I have seen.  I have generally followed advice from florida growers when in florida, arizona growers when in arizona and californians will be better served listening to california growers(norcal or socal are going to be different as is inland and coastal).  Bangalows will grow in sun here they just look skinny and emaciated with a smaller crown of shortened possibly dry tipped leaves.  Now if you have rich organic or high clay soil, that may be different.

• Like 2

Tom Blank

Here are some pics of mine in year round full sun. It does ok, pretty slow overall. Does have some crispy areas on older fronds but I’m not sure if it is old cold damage or sun damage. It doesn’t get enough water where it is so that is probably part of the problem. It did take 27F to 28F adjective freeze in Jan 2018 with minimal damage so there is that as a plus. It is a very lovely, graceful palm in the wind. Just for giggles, that is a Rhapis excelsa under it growing in full sun as well. I didn’t site my palms well :mrlooney:

474907A9-93E7-4AA0-A44A-C9BEA265801F.jpeg

1D738205-596D-4EE6-947E-31BCB0BF5843.jpeg

• Like 5

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

I doubt there was any cold damage this year, it ws a warm year.  My most tender did not burn, potted crownshafts.

Tom Blank

Sorry never voted. I say yes to trying some of these. They really are a little more cold hardy than most crownshafted palms and they can do good here, especially if you plant them in a wet spot. I think they can take the sun in Florida as long as they get plenty of water (which mine doesn’t) and I would amend the soil with rich organic material if you can. 

• Upvote 1

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

4 hours ago, ruskinPalms said:

Here are some pics of mine in year round full sun. It does ok, pretty slow overall. Does have some crispy areas on older fronds but I’m not sure if it is old cold damage or sun damage. It doesn’t get enough water where it is so that is probably part of the problem. It did take 27F to 28F adjective freeze in Jan 2018 with minimal damage so there is that as a plus. It is a very lovely, graceful palm in the wind. Just for giggles, that is a Rhapis excelsa under it growing in full sun as well. I didn’t site my palms well :mrlooney:

474907A9-93E7-4AA0-A44A-C9BEA265801F.jpeg

1D738205-596D-4EE6-947E-31BCB0BF5843.jpeg

How big was it when you planted it? I know archontophoenix obviously can take full sun, but definitely not at a young age in FL. 

• Upvote 1

Well. This one has had an interesting story. I bought it as a Home Depot $15.99 kinda size and put it in the ground at a rental house probably 10 years ago where it languished for a long time and maybe put out one frond per year.. then I dug it up and took it with me at maybe a 5 gallon size at best and planted it here in spring of 2015, probably smaller and crappier than anything you would ever buy at that size. It was always in full sun and neglected for water. I do love palms, but my life has been topsy turvy for years so I’ve not always done the best at caring for them.

• Like 1

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

On 7/1/2020 at 2:40 PM, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

Must see a picture !!!! never heard of that variety? 

Also known as Archontophoenix tuckeri

IMG_6550.jpg

IMG_6551.jpg

• Like 1

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

2 minutes ago, redant said:

Also known as Archontophoenix tuckeri

You got me there haha Nice specimens. Always a pleasure to see pics of your garden =) 

• Like 1

T J