IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

King Palm Dying/in Trouble

mxcolin

I had a new spear on my Cunninghamiana bend in what I thought was the wind. Unfortunately it wasn't that. Where the bend happened was going brown/black and something obviously wasn't right. I tugged lightly on the frond and it came right out. The bottom where it cam out looked like it was rotting in some fashion and it didn't smell great. Has it been over-watered? Some other problem? Disease maybe? Help!!!

IMG_7101.thumb.jpeg.7cbbfef7f62f44cfeec0ef04abc351bf.jpegIMG_7102.thumb.jpeg.21e8ae52bf3a6c1a6b0e63d643ee0d37.jpegIMG_7103.thumb.jpeg.b145af9b10afbca81777c298bf349eee.jpegIMG_7105.thumb.jpeg.4f2ae3f770d81c27ab2037beb3684203.jpegIMG_7106.thumb.jpeg.bfbab1cd3dd01bbcaef69d68aeba48cb.jpegIMG_7107.thumb.jpeg.49df95f2387162acce808c35d919b16d.jpegIMG_7108.thumb.jpeg.b325354b5de1808f231e0e2151f20237.jpegIMG_7109.thumb.jpeg.83a9d4cda7fc04bcfa3d97da6beb21dd.jpeg

• Upvote 1

This is a bad sign (fungus of some sort) and I believe that most palms do not make it after the emerging spear pulls like that.

I have read that regularly pouring hydrogen peroxide down into the hole where the spear pulled can bring some palms to make an eventual recovery.  Using fungicide in-place of the hydrogen peroxide might also work.

If hydrogen peroxide is used, I seem to recall that drying the hole out after it sits in there for a few hours is important, since hydrogen peroxide turns to water and having sitting water in the hole with a fungal infection present is the last thing you want.

• Like 1

I have fungicide I can use. It's super dry here so it should dry out now that the spear has been removed.

My guess is it's a result of poor drainage. Your potting mix is likely too heavy causing root rot. You also want to make sure the pot has a sufficient amount of holes to drain.

Just now, palmsrgreat said:

My guess is it's a result of poor drainage. Your potting mix is likely too heavy causing root rot. You also want to make sure the pot has a sufficient amount of holes to drain.

I thought King Palms loved water? I'll check to see how wet the soil is at the bottom of the container.

2 minutes ago, mxcolin said:

I thought King Palms loved water? I'll check to see how wet the soil is at the bottom of the container.

They do love water. I water mine every other day in heavy clay soil and they love it. I believe @Jim in Los Altos has some growing in standing water. I’ve seen spears on kings rot like that before at a local garden center that waters there plants with overhead sprinklers. I theorized that’s what caused the rot, but can’t say for sure. I’d try hydrogen peroxide, but I think it’s probably too late. Good luck. 

Pour peroxide down the middle. If it wants to live it will live.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Best of luck! Hope it makes a full recovery!

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 2 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 2 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

I think it’s toast. They are dirt cheap like 80 bucks at Lowe’s. Could always start over and get it in the ground next time :)

Edited by enigma99

• 1 year later...

One year later. Started all over, this time with a triple. Palm looked fantastic for almost a year. Now the smallest of the three has the same exact problem. New spear rotted and pulled right out. Other 2 look good I think, but now I’m worried. We have been getting brutally hot temps and this one gets a lot of sun. I’ve been watering it religiously, especially during the hot days. Love this Palm but it gives me more trouble than any other :-(