mxcolin

King Palm Dying/in Trouble

mxcolin

I had a new spear on my Cunninghamiana bend in what I thought was the wind. Unfortunately it wasn't that. Where the bend happened was going brown/black and something obviously wasn't right. I tugged lightly on the frond and it came right out. The bottom where it cam out looked like it was rotting in some fashion and it didn't smell great. Has it been over-watered? Some other problem? Disease maybe? Help!!!

IMG_7101.thumb.jpeg.7cbbfef7f62f44cfeec0ef04abc351bf.jpegIMG_7102.thumb.jpeg.21e8ae52bf3a6c1a6b0e63d643ee0d37.jpegIMG_7103.thumb.jpeg.b145af9b10afbca81777c298bf349eee.jpegIMG_7105.thumb.jpeg.4f2ae3f770d81c27ab2037beb3684203.jpegIMG_7106.thumb.jpeg.bfbab1cd3dd01bbcaef69d68aeba48cb.jpegIMG_7107.thumb.jpeg.49df95f2387162acce808c35d919b16d.jpegIMG_7108.thumb.jpeg.b325354b5de1808f231e0e2151f20237.jpegIMG_7109.thumb.jpeg.83a9d4cda7fc04bcfa3d97da6beb21dd.jpeg

• Upvote 1

palmsOrl

This is a bad sign (fungus of some sort) and I believe that most palms do not make it after the emerging spear pulls like that.

I have read that regularly pouring hydrogen peroxide down into the hole where the spear pulled can bring some palms to make an eventual recovery.  Using fungicide in-place of the hydrogen peroxide might also work.

If hydrogen peroxide is used, I seem to recall that drying the hole out after it sits in there for a few hours is important, since hydrogen peroxide turns to water and having sitting water in the hole with a fungal infection present is the last thing you want.

• Like 1

mxcolin

I have fungicide I can use. It's super dry here so it should dry out now that the spear has been removed.

palmsrgreat

My guess is it's a result of poor drainage. Your potting mix is likely too heavy causing root rot. You also want to make sure the pot has a sufficient amount of holes to drain.

mxcolin

Just now, palmsrgreat said:

My guess is it's a result of poor drainage. Your potting mix is likely too heavy causing root rot. You also want to make sure the pot has a sufficient amount of holes to drain.

I thought King Palms loved water? I'll check to see how wet the soil is at the bottom of the container.

Jeff985
2 minutes ago, mxcolin said:

I thought King Palms loved water? I'll check to see how wet the soil is at the bottom of the container.

They do love water. I water mine every other day in heavy clay soil and they love it. I believe @Jim in Los Altos has some growing in standing water. I’ve seen spears on kings rot like that before at a local garden center that waters there plants with overhead sprinklers. I theorized that’s what caused the rot, but can’t say for sure. I’d try hydrogen peroxide, but I think it’s probably too late. Good luck. 

mxcolin

Looks like I have some hydrogen peroxide spray. I'll give it a go :-(

Tyrone

Pour peroxide down the middle. If it wants to live it will live.

TexasColdHardyPalms

That's a very bad sign. 

JLM

Best of luck! Hope it makes a full recovery!

enigma99

I think it’s toast. They are dirt cheap like 80 bucks at Lowe’s. Could always start over and get it in the ground next time :)

Edited by enigma99