Thirsty at the Watertower

Mystery Palm at the Watertower

Hello all!

My husband and I live on an old winery in Santa Rosa, CA. This property has been a farm and grown grapes, raised turkeys, and even served as a commercial nursery at one point. We have two large, pinnate leafed palms growing in front of our house that we cannot determine the species and would love some help! Quite a large specimen, by way of reference, my husband standing under the palm is 6'7".

I've also provided a close up of the berries that it produces quite copiously. They are hard and shaped like an acorn without a cap.

thanks for your help!

Sharon G.

thumbnail_IMG_1161.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1163.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1164.jpg

Fusca

Hi Sharon, welcome to Palmtalk!  Beautiful Canary Island date palms you have - they are one of my favorite palms.  Also called CIDP, their botanical name is Phoenix canariensis.  The fruit is edible but not very tasty like the true date palm Phoenix dactylifera.  If one of the trees is a male then the seeds from the dates can be grown to produce new palms.  Good thing that you've got lots of room for them!

Jon

Edited by Fusca
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

jimmyt

@Fusca   I will agree with you ID :greenthumb:

Thank you both! I didn't think they were date palms because the seeds/nuts are SO hard! And yes, we do get little volunteers popping up all over the place. So awesome to finally know!