Sign in to follow this  
Palmfarmer

Yellow/bright Green on New Butia growth

Palmfarmer

I bought a Butia online in march and planted IT around the same time. IT has some spots mildly yellow and parts of the emerging frond is also slightly yellow.

I hit with a dobbel dose of a liquid Fertilizer with the common micronutrients palms need, i did rain a lot right afterwards do that might be the reason it does not seems to green up or i need something more spesific for IT. 

Rootball was small when i got it. Tried pulling the Spears and they Are firmly attached. I planted them in a gardenmix from Home depot that supossedly should be good so i am kind of confused to why it might have deficiancies this early.

However IT had a lot more yellow on the new growth the day i got it. Is this Butia fine? 

The first photos Are the Old ones: 

Screenshot_20200630-102043.png

Screenshot_20200630-102336.png

Palmfarmer

Here Are the new: 

Screenshot_20200630-103912.png

Screenshot_20200630-103922.png

Screenshot_20200630-104023.png

Fusca

I had a Butia do the same thing here in San Antonio.  My 2 Butia in the backyard are fine and growing normally but one I had planted in the front yard had yellow new growth like yours.  Fertilizer application (PalmGain) did not help it but it seemed quite healthy otherwise.  My soil is slightly alkaline (I think pH of 7.12) and more so in the front/side of the house so this is what I believe was the issue.  I dug it up and planted it in a container and gave it to a neighbor and now it looks normal again.  Have you had your soil tested?  It might be the same issue.  They seem to prefer soil on the acidic side.

Chester B

I often see some yellow on new spears particularly in spring.  It always ends up greening up with time I wouldn't worry about it.

Jim in Los Altos

Perfectly normal on a healthy Butia and most palms for that matter. The newly opening leaf has not produced much chlorophyll because it hasn’t been exposed to sun while still a spear and greens up after fully expanding. 

• Upvote 1