Sign in to follow this  
redant

Twin talls

redant

While going through some of my J. Tall seedlings with Jim beam, I pulled this one out of the community pot. It's the 3rd twin coconut I have germinated. Unfortunately my other 2 did not prosper for some reason and they perished. No idea if it's just a twins are not hardy or what. We shall see how this one goes. 

IMG_6548.jpg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

palmsOrl

That is a really visually pleasing curiosity redant.  I wonder if the eventual mature result would look any different versus planting two seedlings right next to eachother, so that the stems are the same initial distance apart and planted at the same angle.

So, are you keeping that one or is it up for grabs? :D

• Upvote 1

PalmatierMeg

I have 5-year-old twin dwarf red spicata coconuts from my late mother palm. They are doing quite well although they have grown a bit slower than a younger single sibling, probably because they had to share a seed. I planted them when they still were fairly small as I wanted them to be self-supporting ASAP.

Dwarf Red Spicata Twins, Cape Coral, FL

1443581465_Coconutdwarfredspicatatwins0203-22-20.thumb.JPG.586e6fac5db3742995e8786a4cd17528.JPG

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

redant
4 hours ago, palmsOrl said:

That is a really visually pleasing curiosity redant.  I wonder if the eventual mature result would look any different versus planting two seedlings right next to eachother, so that the stems are the same initial distance apart and planted at the same angle.

So, are you keeping that one or is it up for grabs? :D

Keeping it, 2.5 acres and almost no place left for another big palm but if it survives it will eventually find a home in my yard.

• Upvote 1

palmsOrl

You absolutely should.  Beautiful palm that will look outstanding in your yard.

• Like 1

kinzyjr
16 minutes ago, palmsOrl said:

You absolutely should.  Beautiful palm that will look outstanding in your yard.

Had the twins been up for grabs it would have been a race to Jupiter from Orlando and Lakeland, respectively.:D

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

palmsOrl

You're darn tootin' Jeremy. :floor::yay:

It would have been a close race to the palmy finish-line, that's for sure.

• Like 2