IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dypsis "dark mealy bug" Exploding

Dypsisdean

I bought this palm sick about 6-7 years ago. It sat and struggled for what seemed like forever - never holding more than 2-3 ugly leaves. About 2 years ago I did some grading and driveway work that diverted a good portion of the rain runoff that created a small stream during rains that surrounded it.

Almost immediately it responded and started swelling up and holding more leaves. It might end up being a nice palm for me after all.  Maybe some extra water for those of you trying to grow this one would help you too.

IMG_3889.JPG

IMG_3892.JPG

• Like 11
  • Upvote 4

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

Really nice palm.

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

Wow, what a beautiful palm.  I have thaugh of getting one of these now that florabunda has them but they get massive 

Great information about the extra water Dean I have struggled with this species maybe I need to drown the next one.  Your palm is looking awesome thanks for sharing 

17 hours ago, Dypsisdean said:

I bought this palm sick about 6-7 years ago. It sat and struggled for what seemed like forever - never holding more than 2-3 ugly leaves. About 2 years ago I did some grading and driveway work that diverted a good portion of the rain runoff that created a small stream during rains that surrounded it.

Almost immediately it responded and started swelling up and holding more leaves. It might end up being a nice palm for me after all.  Maybe some extra water for those of you trying to grow this one would help you too.

IMG_3889.JPG

IMG_3892.JPG

Very accurate description of what is going on with mine.  Do you think it’s just water or it needed that time to root in?

• Upvote 3

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

17 hours ago, Gtlevine said:

Really nice palm.

Thanks - If I had known this would draw you out of the shadows, I would have posted it sooner. Glad to know you're still lurking and interested. Hope all is well.

• Like 1

Kona, on The Big Island

10 hours ago, Hilo Jason said:

Nice!  Is the Dypsis Betefaka on the left?  Dypsis Robusta on the right?

Yep on both counts.

• Like 1

Kona, on The Big Island

41 minutes ago, joe_OC said:

Very accurate description of what is going on with mine.  Do you think it’s just water or it needed that time to root in?

I can't tell you with certainty, since there is nothing equal to compare it to. And drawing conclusions from what could be coincidence, and not causality, is always a stretch. However, I do have another, about three years behind this one, and it too hasn't yet sped up. So I'll be able to better answer your question in 3-4 years.

But - usually 5 years in the ground here in Hawaii is plenty of time to get in gear. Most of the big Dypsis seem to shift gears after about two years. And this one changed its tune almost immediately after the runoff was diverted. Having any ground around here that is soggy is unheard of, even after many inches of rain. But in this area now, it will be saturated for days, even after a moderate rain.

So I thought it enough of a possibility to mention. Plus I know you guys just like pics of big Dypsis.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Kona, on The Big Island

What you said about these being slow to start made me think that maybe these just happen to be slower all around (to get going at least) than many other big Dypsis. 

Although I am sure the extra water definitely helped yours speed up. 

In my limited experience growing palms here on the Big Island (almost 3 years), I can say that Dark Mealybug has been one of the slowest Dypsis in my garden. Mine is looking good, but does not push a lot of new leaves each year like others do. 

Heres a picture of mine, taken today. This was planted as a 3 gallon plant about 2 years ago. Now is 5 feet tall.   I’m hoping it hits a growth spurt now that it’s been in the ground a bit. 

30B278F0-6274-403D-B983-8DC0BF8BC843.thumb.jpeg.374e6e5e46bb9d74af98171fa6acd24e.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

What a beautiful Dypsis, Dean. Say hi to Angela

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

Super beautiful palm.... thanks Dean!

Dave

Riverside, CA Z 9b

1700 ft. elevation

approx 40 miles inland

Impressive, especially with Angela for scale. What a crown on that thing too. 

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

6 hours ago, Gileno Machado said:

What a beautiful Dypsis, Dean. Say hi to Angela

Thanks Gileno - nice to hear your "voice." Hope everything is good on your end. I will definitely pass along your "hello."

• Like 1

Kona, on The Big Island

Dave/Tim - Thanks

You guys might know - is there a name for this thing yet?

Kona, on The Big Island