Sign in to follow this  
Eric in Orlando

possible Sabal etonia x palmetto hybrid

Eric in Orlando

I came across a possible Sabal etonia x palmetto hybrid in the Seminole State Forest northwest of Orlando . It was growing among other mature Sabal etonia, Serenoa repens and juvenile Sabal palmetto on top of a hill, in sand scrub forest. The hill slopes sharply to Sulphur Run, a creek that is fed by multiple springs. On the slope and near the creek it is moist to wet dense forest habitat with lots of old, tall Sabal palmetto and thick masses of juvenile S. palmetto.

DSC_9537~3.JPG

DSC_9539~2.JPG

DSC_9538~3.JPG

DSC_9543~3.JPG

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Eric in Orlando

Here is a 2nd specimen that was growing nearby. 

DSC_9546~2.JPG

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

PalmatierMeg

Eric, could you show/explain what traits tell you those palms are etonia x palmetto hybrids? That the mother is etonia while father is palmetto and not vice versa? How prone is the Sabal genus to hybridization?

Thanks for the habitat photos.

• Upvote 1

Jimbean

I have seen etonia that look like that before.  I would wait to see what the ripe seeds look like.

• Upvote 1

VA Jeff

It would be interesting if this is true.  My understanding is that when similar members of the same genus overlap ranges, their hybridization barriers tend to increase, especially the more ancient the separation of the species, otherwise they would interbreed constantly.  Since the sabal genus is ancient by palm standards, it may be difficult, or possibly impossible.  But it would be great if you did find hybrids.

Eric in Orlando

The inflorescence looks to be branched to 2 orders and shorter than the leaves as per S. etonia, S. palmetto is 3.  But the foliage totally looks like juvenile S. palmetto, never seen a S. etonia look like that. I know where the palm is located so will go back in a few months and examine the fruit.

That 2nd specimen is nearby and stood out too, it was larger, the leaves are 5-6ft high. It may be a juvenile S. palmetto flowering (which happens occasionally) but the inflorescences are short and down near the ground. I didn't get a closeup of the inflorescence to see how they were branched.

• Upvote 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      I have a limited number of ripe seeds from my only surviving Sabal etonia. This species is native to central and north central Florida. It is a dwarf palm with an underground stem, although rarely it will form a stem up to 6' tall. My mother palm shows strong dwarf traits - it is only 3' tall and 3-4' wide although it is nearly 12 years old and has been flowering for the past 3-4 years. It usually produces a crop of 200-300 seeds, sometimes fewer. Its 2' wide leaves are less costapalmate than most other Sabals, similar to Sabal minor except they are light green instead of blue green. S. etonia has larger fruit than S. palmetto. It is coldhardy to zone 8, marginal in 7. Like all Sabals It loves heat and sun.
      See summary below
      Sabal etonia: 50 seeds @ $10.00 for the lot
      Shipping = $5.00 via First Class Mail in a padded envelope. 
      Total = $15.00
      Payment via Paypal
      No shipping outside the US. No shipping to HI. PM me if you are interested
      Photos

Mother Palm

• Eric in Orlando
      By Eric in Orlando
      Saturday I visited Mackay Gardens in Lake Alfred, FL, about 60 miles south of Orlando. It is the former estate of Alexander Mackay, a Scottish businessman. He had a house built in 1915 and hired John Morley, a British botanist to design the gardens. Morley was friends with David Fairchild and DF. would send him plants to try out.
      There are some old palms there one specimen really intrigued me. It looks like a Sabal palmetto but the inflorescences extend beyond the foliage. There is a tall mature Sabal yapa on the grounds not real far away. Could this palm be a hybrid between S. palmetto and S. yapa? 

• PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      I am selling in one lot the 2017 germinated offspring from my Sabal etonia mother. She has been flowering the past several years and usually produces a sparse crop of fewer than 50 seeds. I germinated her back in 2008 and planted her in my Caribbean Garden several years later. She is the last surviving S. etonia I have and is about 3' tall x 4' wide. S. etonia is native to north central FL and I don't believe this species tolerates my calcareous, sandy dreck of a soil well. This Sabal is hardy to zone 8a, maybe colder. Rather than try to sell her paltry crop I decided to germinate those seeds and sell the offspring. At this time I have 20+ seedlings from just germinated to 6" tall. Most have multiple strap leaves. Sale is for all offspring in one lot.
      Sabal etonia: 20+ germinating/strap leaf Seedlings for $25
      Shipping Cost Included in price. Plants will be sent via Priority Mail. I will remove from pot, wrap roots in damp orchid most, clear wrap and foil.
      Payment via Paypal
      No shipping overseas. No shipping to HI.
      NOTE: Please contact me via Private Message.
      Photos: Photos 1-4 are of seedlings for sale. Photos 5-6 are of the mother.

• Eric in Orlando
      By Eric in Orlando
      Leu Gardens Spring Plant Sale
      March 10 & 11, 2018, Saturday and Sunday
      9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
      Free Admission all Weekend!
      Shop Leu Gardens’ Annual Spring Plant Sale! Over 50 growers and vendors selling a variety of plants and outdoor accessories to enhance your landscape and home.  Bring a wagon or plant cart for your purchases.  All vendors take cash and most take credit cards. I will be working at the Leu Gardens booth, #36, so stop by.
      Leu Gardens’ Members shop early on Saturday, March 10 at 8:00 a.m.  This is only for Leu Gardens’ Members, please show your membership card and photo ID to be admitted early.  Guest(s) of members will be able to enter at 9:00 a.m.  Guest Passes and AHS Reciprocals are not accepted during the Leu Members’ early shopping hour.
      Click here for a map and list of vendors;
      https://www.leugardens.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/2018-Plant-Sale-Map.pdf

• Walt
      By Walt
      Below are three photos of one of my largest Sabal etonia palms that grow naturally on my property. This particular palm was about the same size when I bought my property in February of 1998. At that time I wasn't familiar with Sabal etonia (scrub palmetto). I thought this palm was just a juvenile Sabal palmetto. I only learned of the Sabal etonia species when I bought a copy of Betrock's Guide to Landscape Palms about a year after I bought my property. Still, I couldn't readily distinguish from a juvenile S. etonia and juvenile S. palmetto.
      But one thing I did eventually observe was that S. etonia flowered and set seed with no trunk. I've watched juvenile S. palmetto grow from just more than a seedling to flowering size, but they didn't flower until they had about five feet of trunk, maybe even more.
      The below palm exhibits a semi-subterranean trunk (noted by red arrow). Also, the inflorescence shows two orders of branching off the peduncle. The palm's highest fronds (at outer tip of the right uppermost frond) is about 8 feet. This S. etonia is planted next to a Livistona australis (to the right).
      In my next posting I will post another of my largest Sabal etonia. This one has inflorescence with 3 orders of branching.