Sign in to follow this  
Cayman1

Phoenix Sylvestris Concerns

Cayman1

As I stated in a previous post, 2 weeks ago we had a 7' Phoenix Sylvestris installed. I have had some watering and fertilizer questions that some fellow members have assisted me with.

That being said, this morning I notice the tips of the newer frawns at the top, are turning yellow slightly and getting what appears to be brown tips. I will include pictures.

What would be causing this and what can I do to help?

IMG_1355.jpg

IMG_1358.PNG

IMG_1359.PNG

Jeff985

I wouldn’t worry about it. They can do that while they’re getting settled in. P. Sylvestris is a tough palm that transplants really well. 

• Like 1

Umbrae

overwatering will yellow them out 

Cayman1

Would not enough water have same effect? 

Jeff985

Not enough water would cause browning starting at the tips. The watering advice you mentioned on the other thread is solid advice. I have planted three of these about the same size as yours in my yard. Last year I dug up and moved two of them, so I’ve been through this 5 times and that’s exactly how I watered them and all five times were successful. Only the first one showed signs of transplant shock and that’s because the guy who sold it to me told me to only water it once a week. After two weeks of losing fronds daily I increased watering and the decline stopped. After that I bought the other two and followed the watering schedule you mentioned and they transplanted very well with no noticeable shock. 

• Like 1