IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Hawaiian Terrace Left

WaianaeCrider

Cleared another section of the "yard" today.  Forgot I built all those rock terraces years ago.  LOL  Not sure if palms will go here or perhaps just more native plants.  Here in the islands some of us cherish our endangered natives.  The light green in the forground is Wauke.  It's not native but one of the "canoe plants" the the Hawaiians carried with them in their canoes.  It is/was used to create Kapa (Tapa) cloth used for garments, slept under as bedding, used for ceremonial occasions, wrapped around the `iwi (bones) of the ancestors, every imaginable use we now have for loomed fabric.  Planted one or two in a spot 15 years ago.  It seems to spread from underground runners.  The dark leaves on the right are not Hawaiian at all but planted because I was looking for a place.  LOL  It's Brownea macrophylla and should have a super big flower if better taken care of.

HawaiianTerraceLef20200628_094453.jpg

HawaiianTerraceLef20200628_151055.jpg

• Like 6

Steve

Born in the Bronx

Raised in Brooklyn

Matured In Wai`anae

I can't be held responsible for anything I say or do....LOL

Is that a Livistona on the right of your picture?

slightly off-topic, but:

Is your climate dry enough to grow palms like Jubaea chilensis, Brahea armata/nitida/edulis... etc.? 

If so, have you tested them? Would they be fully drought tolerant in your climate  after some establishment time(if your ground water level is high enough they should have no problems)?

No it's a mislabeled Pritchardia.  I planted 4 in the general area back in '98.  All doing fine but I'm not sure what they are.  Got a feeling the seller harvested seeds off the ground in a botanical garden and I have hybrids.

Yes Jubaea does great as you can see in this picture.  I had a Brahea armata for a few years and it died but I think rat's ate holes in the irrigation line which was under mulch and I didn't realize until to late.

I get about 20" a year w/an average humidity of mid 60% so give right about of water and sun light I think I can grow about anything.  Unless I do something stupid and kill it.  LOL  Been there done that.

So far I've had a grand total of 0.36 inches of rain this month and a little over 10 for the year.  Water from the city is cheap enough for me to water all my palms and have some left over to wash dishes, clothes and bathe.  LOL

JubaeopsisCaffra-20200618_112802.jpg

JubaeopsisCaffra-20200618_112839.jpg

• Upvote 1

Steve

Born in the Bronx

Raised in Brooklyn

Matured In Wai`anae

Thank you for showing me your great looking Jubaeopsis caffra. But I meant Jubaea chilensis, the palm from Chile with the huge trunk:rolleyes:.  I am sorry if it is actually on the photo and I haven't seen it.

OOPS.  Embarrassing.  LOL   I would  LOVE to have one. 

Steve

Born in the Bronx

Raised in Brooklyn

Matured In Wai`anae

Yeah, I guess it's quite difficult to find them in Hawaiian nurseries. In Europe, almost every palm related nursery has them. You can find Chilean Wine Palms from seedling size to huge specimens with almost ten-meter-trunks (very expensive ~30,000-40,000$ and more). In your dry climate Jubaea would be definitely worth a try.

• 1 year later...
6 minutes ago, Alukard said:

If I were you, I would put a patio in this area. It can be arranged in almost any cottage area. It is enough to find a secluded place and understand what goals you want to achieve, equipping a patio. If it is necessary for privacy or romantic time alone with the other half, you need to allocate a small area. If your goal is to have a noisy party with a large company, of course, you will need more space. In the process of thinking about the layout of the patio will have to answer a lot of questions about www.walshlandscaping.co.uk patio.

It's just an area to wander around in.   More plants sooner or later.  I should look for an updated picture.

Steve

Born in the Bronx

Raised in Brooklyn

Matured In Wai`anae