Sign in to follow this  
WaianaeCrider

Hawaiian Terrace Left

WaianaeCrider

Cleared another section of the "yard" today.  Forgot I built all those rock terraces years ago.  LOL  Not sure if palms will go here or perhaps just more native plants.  Here in the islands some of us cherish our endangered natives.  The light green in the forground is Wauke.  It's not native but one of the "canoe plants" the the Hawaiians carried with them in their canoes.  It is/was used to create Kapa (Tapa) cloth used for garments, slept under as bedding, used for ceremonial occasions, wrapped around the `iwi (bones) of the ancestors, every imaginable use we now have for loomed fabric.  Planted one or two in a spot 15 years ago.  It seems to spread from underground runners.  The dark leaves on the right are not Hawaiian at all but planted because I was looking for a place.  LOL  It's Brownea macrophylla and should have a super big flower if better taken care of.

HawaiianTerraceLef20200628_094453.jpg

HawaiianTerraceLef20200628_151055.jpg

• Like 5

Brad52

Nice work, I like what you've got going there!

LivistonaFan

Is that a Livistona on the right of your picture?

slightly off-topic, but:

Is your climate dry enough to grow palms like Jubaea chilensis, Brahea armata/nitida/edulis... etc.? 

If so, have you tested them? Would they be fully drought tolerant in your climate  after some establishment time(if your ground water level is high enough they should have no problems)?

WaianaeCrider

No it's a mislabeled Pritchardia.  I planted 4 in the general area back in '98.  All doing fine but I'm not sure what they are.  Got a feeling the seller harvested seeds off the ground in a botanical garden and I have hybrids.

Yes Jubaea does great as you can see in this picture.  I had a Brahea armata for a few years and it died but I think rat's ate holes in the irrigation line which was under mulch and I didn't realize until to late.

I get about 20" a year w/an average humidity of mid 60% so give right about of water and sun light I think I can grow about anything.  Unless I do something stupid and kill it.  LOL  Been there done that.

So far I've had a grand total of 0.36 inches of rain this month and a little over 10 for the year.  Water from the city is cheap enough for me to water all my palms and have some left over to wash dishes, clothes and bathe.  LOL

JubaeopsisCaffra-20200618_112802.jpg

JubaeopsisCaffra-20200618_112839.jpg

• Upvote 1

LivistonaFan

Thank you for showing me your great looking Jubaeopsis caffra. But I meant Jubaea chilensis, the palm from Chile with the huge trunk:rolleyes:.  I am sorry if it is actually on the photo and I haven't seen it.

WaianaeCrider

OOPS.  Embarrassing.  LOL   I would  LOVE to have one. 

LivistonaFan

Yeah, I guess it's quite difficult to find them in Hawaiian nurseries. In Europe, almost every palm related nursery has them. You can find Chilean Wine Palms from seedling size to huge specimens with almost ten-meter-trunks (very expensive ~30,000-40,000$ and more). In your dry climate Jubaea would be definitely worth a try.