IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Christmas Palm growth rate

Palmlover_78

Hey Guy, I was wondering with the best indoor conditions, How fast do Christmas Palm Trees grow a year in pots?

Thanks Brad

Not a very fast indoor grower. Outdoors in the spring/summer grow season you'll see some spurts.. but depends on how big the palm is to begin with. Got any pics?

also depends on fertilizer, soil, watering etc.

Edited by PalmX

I got seeds, I was just wondering how fast they will grow, once they sprouted, I did order a three gallon Christmas Palm but never got it :(. The picture posted, was one of these palms I ordered, how long will it take for a seedling to get that big?

Thanks a lot :)

my palm.PNG

From seed that's about 2-3 years outside depending if conditions are ideal. Inside would be anyones guess. The fronds in that picture are very tall/ far away from the trunk because those palms are grown in shade. They are reaching for more light.

3 hours ago, Palmlover_78 said:

So I shouldn't get them?

That's up to you. I'd recommend ordering a more mature one if  you want it to have a chance inside and or don't want to wait a decade for it to get the size you are imaging.

This guy that grew his from seed. This is how they look at 10 months old. Still a loooooong way from the photo you posted.

Edited by PalmX

Hey, Thank you for the video, ok i will start them from seed, I also have pygmy date palm seeds i am going to try as well. Thanks again

Adonidia is one of the slower palms in the whole Ptychosperma-Veitchia alliance. But usually the frustration isn't so much when they are very young, where, with constant 80-90F temps they grow at a "moderate" rate; but rather after they get some size in the landscape in a tropical climate, the trunk barely grows with each new leaf. They will grow taller more quickly (as will most palms) in shade, because they are stretching to reach the "canopy" where they can emerge out in the sunlight, which is definitely where an Adonidia wants to live as a mature palm. 

You might think about finding some seed of Veitchia arecina or Veitchia joannis and using them instead. There are few palm seeds that give such a wow factor as they germinate and start producing leaves. They grow shockingly fast and will give you a nice specimen in short order. They usually grow pretty well in pots, provided they get some fresh air and sunlight, but they are very forgiving. And not as cold-sensitive as are Adonidia. But both Adonidia and Veitchia are very easy and fun to start from seed. 

• Like 1

Michael Norell

Rancho Mirage, California | 33°44' N 116°25' W | 287 ft | z10a | avg Jan 43/70F | Jul 78/108F avg | Weather Station KCARANCH310

previously Big Pine Key, Florida | 24°40' N 81°21' W | 4.5 ft. | z12a | Calcareous substrate | avg annual min. approx 52F | avg Jan 65/75F | Jul 83/90 | extreme min approx 41F

previously Natchez, Mississippi | 31°33' N 91°24' W | 220 ft.| z9a | Downtown/river-adjacent | Loess substrate | avg annual min. 23F | Jan 43/61F | Jul 73/93F | extreme min 2.5F (1899); previously Los Angeles, California (multiple locations)

This double Adonidia was sprouted from seed in June 2019 and this is a photo of it from a couple days ago.  It has grown outdoors everyday since germination here in the Orlando area.  The lowest temperature it saw over the winter was mid-30s.

20200703_124357.jpg

On 6/29/2020 at 12:07 AM, Palmlover_78 said:

Hey Guy, I was wondering with the best indoor conditions, How fast do Christmas Palm Trees grow a year in pots?

Thanks Brad

Mine grow at a decent rate but during the winter months my palm room is average 80-85 temps and gets led plant lights   They do well indoors as seedlings because you can easily give them light but a lot harder when they take up a lot of space